planecrash is offline Find More Posts by planecrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2002, 03:51 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,639 Posts
Sweet...

Well, I'd LOVE to get my hands on those smoovy or Xtreme Energy small brushless motors. A dental drill motor seems like it would be perfect... although the very sound might make everyone within earshot cringe

Now if I could figure out how to order one life would be great!

Then I'll worry about hooking it up to an ESC...
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old Jan 31, 2002, 03:52 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
no reason to worry, bleriot, no known 12mm OD bl motors on the horizon! we still want your mystery motor!

we already went through this 2 months ago in a prev. thread. conclusion? no known 12mm motors appropriate for rc planes are available. from what we found, at least. the closest was xtreme energy, right size but too cool a wind (24 volt!), but the thick medical-grad steel case made it weigh almost as much as an astro 010!

we're all hoping, but no options yet... someone planned on trying to make one, but haven't heard anything since...
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Jan 31, 2002, 04:07 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,639 Posts
All right... I am on FULL DROOL ALERT. -- you called it right Bleriot.

A .6 amp motor just a little larger than an IPS that turns 15k RPM at max effeciency and putting out about .8 oz/inches of torque rules.

The power curve is still throwing me (don't have a printed version and the type is not quite legible onscreen) but I think it's telling me about 4 watts. Divided by .6 amps is 6.7V operating. Close enough to 7.2 to call it a match.

To top it off, the thing weighs 1.1oz. Lessee, I throw 6 300 mah NiMH at that and I'll get 30 minutes of hot dogging at about 50% power increase over my current drive?

I HAVE MY CREDIT CARD READY! WHERE DO I SEND THE FREAKIN' NUMBER!

I still have to figure out that ESC problem... but we'll cross that bridge when we get there!
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old Jan 31, 2002, 04:32 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2001
255 Posts
I think it's just a matter of time

I have three Astro 010 motors! Depending on the gearing, cell count and prop, they are very flexible motors. I would LOVE to get an even smaller brushless motor. I think that I am not the only RC nut around.

Count me in
Aikens is offline Find More Posts by Aikens
Old Jan 31, 2002, 04:39 PM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
Although slightly larger than a GWS motor, they're available
now in the form of the Hacker B20.

http://www.aero-model.com/planes/hacker/index.htm
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Old Jan 31, 2002, 04:52 PM
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2001
743 Posts
Quinn,

Where do you fly in Houston? We will be flying at our indoor event this monday, off 610 and Belair.

Philip
fill is offline Find More Posts by fill
Old Jan 31, 2002, 04:54 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Another " if there was only...."

a mini outrunner LRK BL which won't need any gear reduction,
5 to 9 cell operation at upwards of 7 amps, 1.5 oz. overall with prop adapter, all for $ 75.00 ( yeah, in my dreams...)
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Jan 31, 2002, 05:03 PM
Thousand Oaks, Ca
Joined Jan 2002
127 Posts
Small bruehless in my future

I too am looking for a brushless smaller by about half of the 010.I had hopes Hacker would make something smaller than the 010 but have not seen anything that size for sale YET!!. I hope that will soon change. See some of you at MWE .
Chuck Haverlah
Charley is offline Find More Posts by Charley
Old Jan 31, 2002, 05:23 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
C'mon Bleriot, let us in on the punch line... how much $$$ are those cute little things? I'm waiting for yours.

For a little trivia, that Xtreme Energy place is located maybe half a mile from the local slimer field.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jan 31, 2002, 05:44 PM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,653 Posts
As someone already pointed out, we already have small brushless motors available; the Hacker B20 and the Lehner 1010.

Making a micro-LRK for USD 75.00 is not unrealistic - take a look at Kai Hubers LRK motor:

http://home.t-online.de/home/e-huber/BL/BLEigen.html

Michael
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
Old Jan 31, 2002, 05:58 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Basketcase
C'mon Bleriot, let us in on the punch line... how much $$$ are those cute little things? I'm waiting for yours.

For a little trivia, that Xtreme Energy place is located maybe half a mile from the local slimer field.

BC
Hi if it was that close to me, I'd be in jail by now!!! You guys are hopeless. I convert MY motors to brushless the hard way... $$$$ Stevem REALLY dug very deep into this...I think the thread is lost now? He did a great job rooting up stuff IMHO There were some really sobering reasons why we cant have one to reflect on..just really doesn't seem like it's feasible for now. rats, Best Regards
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Jan 31, 2002, 08:32 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,154 Posts
It's fun to dream when you are not sure what you are looking at. The similar sized 010 has a similar torque constant to the Extreme BL-05-75-.54. But it does this with a resistance equal to 7 percent of the above motor. What does this mean? It will be much more efficient for our application. I'm sure most of you realize that the 010 is readily available. If you are going to look for motors study them a bit so you get what you want. If you think you can buy that Extreme motor in 100 piece quantities at a time for less than the 010 ask for a quote. You can buy the 010 for $75.

Designing a motor is real easy. I have a 1500 page book that tells you how to do most of it. Heck, 30% of it pertains to AC and stepper motor which don't apply to our hobby, should be no problem right?

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Jan 31, 2002, 09:15 PM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,489 Posts
Hello,

I know that the page is in German; but take a look at this page, to see the various applications for the wonderful Hacker motors !

http://www.hacker-motor.com/german/news.html

You'll understand it !
Yes - Park Flyers are there !

I have a B20-26, ( with no gearbox ), and it is very powerful on 8 x 500AR nicads - driving a range of small propellers, direct drive !
Much more power than a S400 .. .. ..

It has the same external shaft diameter as a S400.
It has also the same bolt hole threads and spacing as a S400, so it will fit into many gearboxes that are made for those.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Old Feb 01, 2002, 03:41 AM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,489 Posts
Hacker B20

I'm not too sure as to the size of your Astro 010's, but my Hacker B20-26L is the long version - it is 20mm ( 3/4" ) diameter, and 40mm ( 1 9/16" ) long.

Weight is 56g - just under two ounces !

Price before taxes works out at about 68 !
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Closed Thread