HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2004, 04:15 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Hitec Laser 4 with HS-55's or HS-81's?

Okay -- all the information on this board is overwhelming. This group says Hitec Laser 4 Channel transmitter is a great first radio. The group also says to stay away from the "Feather" model (citeing limited range). The problem is the "non-Feather" model comes with HS-81 servos, not the HS-55's I will need for my Slow Stick.

So what's a newbie to do? Buy the Feather to get the HS-55's, or the "non-feather" and spend another $60 on HS-55 servos?

Also, after some shopping around, I found the best price on a Slow Stick is $30 ($35 and $40 elsewhere in town). The best price on a Hitec Laser 4 with 2 HS-81 is $129.90 at HobbyLobby.com -- should I keep shopping?

Freelancer
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2004, 04:20 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
the hs81's are fine for the slow stick. Just not for super micro light micro planes.

Are you open for a used radio? They go for pretty cheap and then you can buy all your stuff separately used or new. ebay can be a good source for used, and watch the boards here, many many good deals on used. I just sold a Hitec flash 5x for $65 dollars - one heck of a deal, and it is a far better radio than the focus.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2004, 04:23 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Here is a heck of a deal I just found (good starter system):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264822 $38 bucks
Buy a GWS Receiver for $20 and servos for $15-20 each and you have a system for $98 bucks.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2004, 04:24 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
HS81's are great for the slow stick- You might want to check Servocity.com for your radio and servos though
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Aug 17, 2004, 04:29 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Servocity.com $114.17 for the Laser 4 with the HFS-04 receiver and two HS55's That's a great receiver, weighs more then some others but it is very nice, works great and can be used in pretty much any GWS plane or similar on up.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 05:16 PM
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Oct 2002
1,293 Posts
At Servocity.com you can cutomize your system, just e-mail them or give them a call.

Also, free shipping over $100.

CMP
cadmanpilot is offline Find More Posts by cadmanpilot
Old Aug 17, 2004, 05:58 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunswickOH
Servocity.com $114.17 for the Laser 4 with the HFS-04 receiver and two HS55's That's a great receiver, weighs more then some others but it is very nice, works great and can be used in pretty much any GWS plane or similar on up.
Yeah, but when I add it to my cart, it's not in stock...
Old Aug 18, 2004, 09:42 AM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Awesome

Looking at it again, it seems I was not selecting a frequency that was available. I've got that figured out now.

However, I'm not sure what I need for a AP SS in the following categories:

Battery (Default is 4.8V 600 mah NiCad Battery Pack)
Switch Harness (Default is Standard Switch Harness)
Servo Extension (Default is 12" Servo Extension)

Obviously, this web site is set up for people who know exactly what they want!

Thank you for the web address -- their prices are truly amazing!

Freelancer
Old Aug 18, 2004, 01:10 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Their service is GREAT also!! You may call them if you have any questions they are very helpfull on the phone! You will not use the Battery but I think you must take one with every set so the defult receiver battery is fine, the switch harness is the same way, you won't use it but I think you need to get one so take default. You can select no servo extension as you won't need one for the Slow Stick.

Jim
Old Aug 18, 2004, 04:14 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunswickOH
Their service is GREAT also!! You may call them if you have any questions they are very helpfull on the phone! You will not use the Battery but I think you must take one with every set so the defult receiver battery is fine, the switch harness is the same way, you won't use it but I think you need to get one so take default. You can select no servo extension as you won't need one for the Slow Stick.

Jim
Thanks Jim,

I just placed my order, and got it for $106.45 after playing with the battery, harness, and servo extension.

It would have cost me over $220 for the same thing here in town!

Freelancer
Old Aug 18, 2004, 04:24 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Enjoy, it's a nice radio!
Old Aug 18, 2004, 09:44 PM
Havin FUN
United States, KS, Basehor
Joined Sep 2001
573 Posts
Freelancer,
If you are REALLY new... get someone to help you so you will not become disgruntled and quit..... Been at it off and on now for a lot of years... 55 or so !!
Don-Basehor, Ks
Gonnacrash is offline Find More Posts by Gonnacrash
Old Aug 19, 2004, 10:06 AM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
New? ME? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonnacrash
Freelancer,
If you are REALLY new... get someone to help you so you will not become disgruntled and quit..... Been at it off and on now for a lot of years... 55 or so !!
Don-Basehor, Ks
Well, the term "new" is relative... I've been flying an Aerobird Challenger since March. I can't tell you the last time I "crashed", and the only part I've broken in that time is a propeller. I've been described as "well above average" for a new R/C pilot. (I've even done rolling take-offs and landings on concrete with the wheels attached, without incident.)

In any event, I'm hooked. I even sold off my old hobby on eBay to raise funds to get a running start at my NEW hobby!

Thanks for your assistance!
Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:47 AM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Ehhh -- did I make a mistake?

Hey again,

After visiting the website several hundred times (waiting for my package), I suddenly realized I bought a single-conversion receiver instead of a dual-conversion receiver...

I'm wondering now if I've made a terrible mistake. Would it have been worth the extra $20 to purchase a dual-conversion receiver?

Freelancer
Old Aug 23, 2004, 11:02 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
What receiver did you buy?

There are good Single Conversion (SC) receivers and bad ones. Same for Dual Conversion (DC). For example the Berg SC receivers are some of the best on the market. Others are not and are prone to glitching. I have had some stinker DC receivers as well.

Here is a good argument from Peter Berg.....

http://www.bergent.net/

Look for the articles on that main page.

Mike
RCG Plus Member