HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2004, 10:56 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Oct 2003
661 Posts
Yippee!
OMG! No one told me that this could happen!

I decided to head up to the Davis - SVSS field with both K2-Light and the finally repaired Hoot. I had hoped that someone would show up with a winch so I could get some practice launching the K2. But if no one showed up I had the Hoot and was ready to re-maiden(?) it after the big crash several weeks back. Boy was I glad I did. I got there about 9:00 am and no one was there, so I took out the Hoot and put it together for a trial run. Just as I was waiting for the batteries to finish charging, a couple of the SVSS guys came and set up a Hi-Start so I continued to get the Hoot ready. The first launch was rather wobbly at the start, but went up fine from there. I was using 8 cells 1950 faupís with AXI 2820/12 and a small 11 X 6.5 prop. I donít have a larger prop that not too large for this motor and 10 cells GP3300 which is what I would be using next. Anyway, the plane flew very well and I was getting the hang of it again. After about 15 minutes I brought it in with full CROW but found that I need a lot more down elevator mixed in. The landing was almost at my feet and very easy to control Ė just had to add down elevator with the stick. I adjusted the CROW mix for the down elevator, and replaced the 1950 faupís with the 10 cells of GP3300. This time the launch was a near disaster. With the added weight I missed the ground by mere inches. But I did miss it and gained altitude quickly after that. When I reached altitude, I flipped on a little camber while cruising under a short line of some nice puffy clouds to see if I could find some lift. Boy, did I ever! All of a sudden my plane was looking really small so I switched off the camber and did some tooling around. This was not enough, however. Next I switched on some reflex. I honestly never thought Iíd have any real use for this mode since it really makes the plane sink Ė usually. But this time, the Hoot was screaming across the sky, back and forth under these clouds, twisting and turning with a loop here and there. Never loosing altitude! It reminded me of slope soaring but without the restriction of running along the ridge of hills or mountains Ė just following under a huge region under this line of clouds. And the clouds were moving slowly. The speed of the Hoot was like continually flying in an all out dive but never loosing altitude - screaming all the while! I was totally amazed that you could fly this way. I have a new respect for thermalling. The flight lasted about 45 minutes, and that was because I was running out of energy Ė not the plane. One of the guys said I found the ridge. Yes, I did, and I hope I can find it again some day soon. Man if this doesnít get you hooked, nothing will. The other thing thatís amazing is that the Hoot could take everything I threw at it lugging those 10 GP3300ís in the process. Itís been one of those days Iíll remember for a long time to come.
hbielich is offline Find More Posts by hbielich
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2004, 11:38 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,675 Posts
That's dynamite... Now you see why I am ALWAYS looking for the next high... I average 15-25 minutes per flight, and most of the time I stop because I am tired, NOT because I need to... And I don't know how to catch thermals... I have seen the plane circle in the air neither gaining nor loosing altitude, but I have yet to find one of those big suckers... Now if you add a lipo pack to the mix you wouldn't even need to charge... oh, and wait until you get a REAL motor in that plane. FWIW you can put a 14x9.5 or 16x10 on the axi... TRUST ME on this one...
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Aug 15, 2004, 11:56 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Oct 2003
661 Posts
I had a 13 X 7 prop on the AXI 2820/10 with the GP3300's and 2 of the magnets came undone. I had tested the setup with an ampmeter and it showed about 50 amps which is about 10 more than max. I have since epoxied the magnets back in and the motor runs fine, but I'm being more conservative with the amps now. I'm still prcaticing flying the Hoot so I can have enough confidence to fly the Lea-V. I think that with that last flight I have touched on the speed that the Lea can deliver with the Hacker FAI 40-6L carbon motor with 6.7:1, 16 X 16 prop, 10 X GP3300's. But I have not seen an F5B fly in person yet. The videos make me nervous about flying one myself, so I keep pushing the Hoot.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 12:02 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,675 Posts
hblielich,

If you can fly the hoot well you can fly the lea well... Start off flying the lea with a 16x10/13 prop, and you will have an easy go of it. I have flown my axi 2820/10 with a 14x9.5 on 8 aup cells, granted I don't get the voltage you get with the gp3300s but you should ok. I think you received a fault motor, the axi's can handle 40 amps no problem. That 13x7 should be ok on 8 cells...

Jay
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Aug 16, 2004, 09:10 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Oct 2003
661 Posts
I am going to order a 12 X 8 and 13 x 7 for the AXI on the Hoot. I think I already have a 16 X 10 or something in that range for the Hacker to start with. I'll let you know how it goes. I always tried to run the 2820/10, 13X7, 10XGP3300's no longer than 10 seconds at a time, but the motor would get very hot. I did this until the day the motor let loose of the magnets. That's why I have proped down a bit into the spec range of the motor's amps. I knew I was taking a chance, but the vertical launches and speed of the plane are addicting. I think it's like coffee. I quit every so often, but always seem to get hooked again at some point. Hence, I will prop up again soon. Then I will start going for the Espresso when I try the Lea-V. If I could get my hands on a S-10, that would be my Venti-Cappucino!
Sorry. I got carried away there...
Old Aug 16, 2004, 09:13 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Oct 2003
661 Posts
Maybe I should go decaf and hit the slopes again.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:22 AM
Roj
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
377 Posts
Great post.

I'm amazed how many RC flyers are oblivious to the wonder and challenge of thermal flight - that doesn't mean we should all be flying floaters either.

There is an old joke that when most glow pilots fly through a thermal, they assume they've experienced a radio glitch.
Roj is offline Find More Posts by Roj
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:58 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Oct 2003
661 Posts
I had another nasty crash with the Hoot. It may be a while before I'm able to fly it again. Repairing it now...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267207