HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2002, 08:33 PM
Fremont Ca.
Joined Jun 2001
94 Posts
Question
are there any indoor sights in San Francisco Bay area

Just curious if there are any sites in the bay area, I know at one time there were some meets at Moffet field in the Blimp hangers, OK the durigable hanger (probably spelled wrong) I havent seen any flyers at the LHS and dont know if this still exists. Would prefer the east or south bay but beggars cant be choosy. If there are none, would any body be interested if I could find a site.
Toybox is offline Find More Posts by Toybox
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2002, 09:03 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
I am working on one, so stay tuned!!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jan 30, 2002, 09:09 PM
Fremont Ca.
Joined Jun 2001
94 Posts
way cool, what area are you in,
Old Jan 30, 2002, 10:22 PM
Slowflier
Palo Alto, CA
Joined Nov 2001
200 Posts
hangar one can not be used any more

The Moffet airfield hangar one (the dirigible site) is not available any more to indoor model airplanes. It was discovered that the paint had lead in it, making it unsafe for general use (in particular for those of us that licked the walls between flights )

Michel
adar is offline Find More Posts by adar
Old Jan 30, 2002, 10:42 PM
Helicopter Perfectionist
Alameda, CA
Joined Jan 2002
146 Posts
yes there is!

Hi, there is a micro fun fly usually in a school gym in Palo alto monthly. I have only been to one in december so far, hopefully i can make the necxt one. I'm from Alameda and own just a Piccolo. There were a lot of piccolo and hornets and a tiger moth went up when i was there. Contact loren @ lsageser@hotmail.com to get on the notification list. 10 dollars a pilot for the rent fees. Where do you guys live in northern california do you live and what do you fly? The gym certainly isn't as big as the Moffet Federal blimp hangers though, Jordan.
JordanP is offline Find More Posts by JordanP
Old Jan 30, 2002, 11:01 PM
Fremont Ca.
Joined Jun 2001
94 Posts
well you know I do have a problem with licking the walls in hangers, thats why I left the aviation industry. Now I have to settle to lick the wheel weights on cars. Now seriously, its an interesting world we live in now. I only have a light stick as far as indoor but I am designing a little sorta round indoor small area thing. other wise I have a somewhat modified Zagi, a FS Fokker tri plane that flys horribly in any breeze, maybe good indoor?? and a number of one off designs of my own. indoor sounded cool as it added a new chalenge. as far as where I live, Fremont is in the S east bay.

Old Jan 31, 2002, 02:25 AM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,757 Posts
I'd be interested and I know of several others who would be also. We are all in the Castro Valley/Hayward area but would go wherever necessary.
Let's make it happen!
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Jan 31, 2002, 03:03 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
I'm in the san jose/saratoga area, I would be interested as well... I have a pico stick and cannonshot biplane I'd like to fly indoors... I found a weekly indoor fly-in in campbell, but the guys fly rubber-power only, it's a small-size full-court gym, but I would assume I would be able to fly the 20gram or so plane I'm working on putting together... I'd definitely be up for a spot around here!
opualuan is online now Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Jan 31, 2002, 12:27 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Jul 2001
413 Posts
Hi,

I live in Dublin Ca, and would definitely be interested in an indoor site. Right now the only plane I have is a Lite Stick, but I'm sure my hanger will have a Tiger Moth, in no time.

Drew
Drewmotion is offline Find More Posts by Drewmotion
Old Jan 31, 2002, 12:48 PM
Fremont Ca.
Joined Jun 2001
94 Posts
sounds like a fair bit of intrest maybe I can help Fred if needed. at this point a fremont location looks central based on the replies. just kidding since that would be extremely convient to me.

Fred if you need any help E-mail me and I will see what I can do
Old Jan 31, 2002, 09:37 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
Without giving away to much. I have a line on a old military site that is between SF and Sac.

AMA would be required and you would have to be on a list to get in. No just showing up.

Cost, minimal if any.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jan 31, 2002, 10:07 PM
Fremont Ca.
Joined Jun 2001
94 Posts
Sounds cool

sounds like that might be a good area possible draw from Sac. I travel through that area on bussines a fair amount, if you need any help the offer still stands. I think I am going to see if there are any sights over here in Fremont. what size is minimum, full basket ball court or bigger.

Old Feb 22, 2002, 03:42 PM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
We are having another fun fly this Sunday the 24th from 8-10PM. If you are not on the mailing list, please email me or just come to the meet.

Several people have inquired about the gym size. It is pretty much a standard sized gym. We have flown IFO's and the TigerMoth there but it is really more suited to slower/smaller stuff. I may have some pictures that I can post.

Thanks.
kasra is online now Find More Posts by kasra
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2002, 12:42 PM
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jan 2002
577 Posts
In SF

I'm In SF, out in the Richmond district. I used to fly in GG Park but have found a "secret spot" in the persidio that NEVER has anybody in it as the grass is not mowed and does not make for good picnicing!

I have a Litestik I could fly inside and a 8oz/sf wing loaded warbird at 4.4oz. I could fly in a bigger venue.

Let me know if any regular indoor places open up. The road from SF to Sac would be PERFECT for me as I can jump on the GG bridge in a minute from my house.

Thanks,

Mars
mars is offline Find More Posts by mars