HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2002, 08:07 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,672 Posts
Cool
Why can't I burn an IPS motor up???

After reading all the horror stories about the IPS motors burning up, I'm starting to feel left out! Why can't I burn one up? My Tiger Moth has over 40 flights on it and the original motor is still going strong. I know it's not because I use the recommended battery packs, or that I let it cool for a few minutes between flights. I'm sure it wouldn't make any difference if I ran a high voltage/high capacity pack and let it run at full/near full power for 15-20 minutes like a lot of folks do. No, that can't be it.

Mr. Lin must have been joking when he said to use 6.0-7.2 V 110-150 mah packs; what fun would that be? But I swear I read that somewhere in the instruction manual. Ahh, who needs instruction manuals anyway. We know better!

Bleriot, I know I've cursed my motor by writing this, so put me on the list for one of your super-duper lasta lifetime specials!

Regards,

Scott

www.tigermothsquadron.com
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2002, 08:19 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hi GG Jeez Now you're for it. I'll be happy to reserve a motor for you. I have had correspondence with a gentleman who owns a small cottage factory that makes these motors. I was honest with them and explained the situation, the small anticipated market....yet he was willing to make a slight mod to the next batch. If there is one.... He was very interested in the dx motor problem and we hashed out the details for the mod I had developed. Best Regards
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Jan 30, 2002, 08:32 PM
Faster Faster!!
Kaysville Utah, U.S.A
Joined Oct 2001
1,717 Posts
I put my 168th flight on the original motor of my Tiger Moth today.
I have been averaging 30 plus minutes per flight on it in the last month.
Still pulls as hard as the day it first went up.
I may credit part of it's longevity to the fact that it's been in the high teens to low 20's F here.
I have another waiting on my workbench when this one takes a dirt nap.
But it keeps telling me "Nope Not Yet!"
Excuse me now while I go knock on some wood.
RCFlybry is offline Find More Posts by RCFlybry
Old Jan 30, 2002, 08:39 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hi rcflybry I posted a long time ago about 13 hrs life on the Carbon brush motor when they first came out. Which was winter here. Ambient temp plays a MAJOR role in their ability to last. These little jewels are stressed to their max design as a servo motor and with that said it's still a toss up as to the QC lot issue. Brush alignment could be a culprit. Best Regards
Old Jan 30, 2002, 09:22 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,672 Posts
Low Ambient Temp

I figured that the low ambient temperature here in NW Ohio is playing a big part in my good fortune with the IPS motor. The real test will be Spring and Summer, and that can't come soon enough, fried motors or not!

Regards,

Scott

Old Jan 30, 2002, 09:47 PM
ny
Joined Dec 2000
1,270 Posts
I think the big secret is you have to have a spare motor or more. If you only have the single motor it will fail on you at any time,first flight of a great no wind day,sunday when nothing is open, or you just drove 40 miles to inpress some friends. There has to be many ways that motor will let you down
russ6421 is offline Find More Posts by russ6421
Old Jan 30, 2002, 09:53 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
You just aren't a risk taker. Go ahead and put it at full throttle the whole flight, I dare you! I don't remember the last time I throttled back unless I was coming in for a landing or touch-n-go. Am I the only one who puts the stick up the entire flight? Put on a large prop. Too risky for you? I don't even have high blood pressure. I do drink a lot of caffeine, though
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
Old Jan 30, 2002, 09:56 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,672 Posts
Carry a spare

Russ,

Right you are. I made sure I had a spare. That's almost a guarantee that it'll last forever!

Scott

Old Jan 30, 2002, 10:25 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
You guys are making me wonder what I did wrong.

I burned out a motor by simply flying with a homemade cowl with almost no cooling intake, no heatsink, with a 8 cell MH pack on a windy day and had to keep it full throttle most of the 15 min flight and the ambient temperature was only 90 degrees F.

Then when it started slowing down a little thought it was the battery giving out early so put in a fresh pack and sent it up again. The second flight something was definitely wrong. Lots of glitches too (sparking?), barely made it back. After that it would only start by propping it.

New motor is still going strong with heatsink and paste and lots of cooling air. Still with 7 & 8 cells and some full throttle flights.

Got revenge on the old motor by sending it off the Dr. Bleriotstiens laboratory for a new brain. (just hope it's not Abby Normal's)

Good luck,

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jan 30, 2002, 11:10 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
Ambient temp and battery choices are huge.

I still got decent life out of my first DX-A on seven 150 mah batteries flying during the late summer and early fall (average temp 75F). I got about 50 out of it. From what I've read, I was fortunate. Seven NiCads really stress the motor.

My second winter motor is still going strong. I must have close to 200 flights on it by now, most on a 7 cell 800 mah NiMH which give me 30 minutes of flying. That's approaching 100 hours.

Both the lithiums and the NiMH's drive less current than the NiCads. That helps. Flying in sub freezing temps assures the motor stays cool.

Hey in the summer, be sure to do a "lights" modification and fly under cover of darkness and away from the heat of the day. I know I can't wait to be able to fly sans gloves again!
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old Jan 30, 2002, 11:19 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hi! I can't resist this. If the shaft was made longer, and the motor can trimmed about 4mm, a slip on open brush holder could be fitted, and the thing could take some real abuse. I love it. I would love an official Mabuchi photo of the completed ips rolling off final assembly line. Best Regards
Old Jan 31, 2002, 01:22 AM
Mincha Victoria Aussie
Joined Dec 2000
461 Posts
Just an update to make Bleriot spit -- the original fearenstein GWS is still performing to this day!! it now has a partner and spins an 11X8 prop on a twin IPS conversion powering an FD stick -- has vertical lol!!!
this little baby has been with me since the litestik came out and has refused all attempt to kill it
A conservative 60+ hours on it now
aussie slowman is offline Find More Posts by aussie slowman
Old Jan 31, 2002, 01:26 AM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
What batteries are you using with that twin setup? Do you use qc830's? What's the amp draw? Do you think the thrust is close to what GWS4CEO is claiming on the twin that is coming out?
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
Old Jan 31, 2002, 01:46 AM
Mincha Victoria Aussie
Joined Dec 2000
461 Posts
I fly this as a sport set up on 7or8 300mA nicads More oomph -- the weather gods willing i will trial it on the weekend with the liths
The main advantage I see is swinging a bigger Diam and pitch prop with no loss of rpms-- thus more thrust -- the first few minutes can acheive limited vertical (30-50 feet) and i can fly this combo in winds that would kill its weaker siblings -- I have a full length C/F spar fitted on the wing chord
aussie slowman is offline Find More Posts by aussie slowman
Old Jan 31, 2002, 03:50 AM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
Everyone said "Ambient temp plays a MAJOR role in their ability to last". Well that's fine for all you people that live in a freezer but I live close to the equator. I just come in from flying my moth at 90F, that's after the sun has gone down! The heatsink was too hot to touch for more than a couple of seconds. Compare that to my Mini Max Graupner speed 280 which was barely warmer than ambient.

I don't think I'll buy another IPS if they can't handle the tropics. I might try a Puma 050 or a BMW, assuming they can handle the heat.
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron