HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2004, 05:55 PM
Torrance, California
Joined Aug 2004
4 Posts
Why do AMA memberships end December 31 regardless of application?

Why is it that AMA membership ends on December 31, regardless of date of application? Doesn't that "short-change" unsuspecting new applicants?
Toluca Kidd is offline Find More Posts by Toluca Kidd
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2004, 07:20 PM
J_R
Corona, CA
Joined Sep 2003
755 Posts
Two points.

New AMA members get a prorate on the second year, based on when they first sign up as set forth here http://www.modelaircraft.org/templat...-Files/912.pdf

The biggest single reason all memberships end 12/31 is for the benefit of clubs. Clubs do not have to check or keep track of whose membership is expiring when. Since they all expire at the same time, record keeping is minimal.
J_R is offline Find More Posts by J_R
Old Aug 25, 2004, 07:37 AM
Going Home
Mighty Midwest
Joined Apr 2004
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_R
Two points.

New AMA members get a prorate on the second year, based on when they first sign up as set forth here http://www.modelaircraft.org/templat...-Files/912.pdf

The biggest single reason all memberships end 12/31 is for the benefit of clubs. Clubs do not have to check or keep track of whose membership is expiring when. Since they all expire at the same time, record keeping is minimal.

Will the AMA mail out re-application forms for us, or will we have to get them ourselves straight from the hobby shop?
Starguard is offline Find More Posts by Starguard
Old Aug 25, 2004, 09:23 AM
Older but not wiser
Richland, MI, USA
Joined Jan 2001
305 Posts
They will mail it to you.

HRH
Hal Ray is offline Find More Posts by Hal Ray
Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:35 AM
J_R
Corona, CA
Joined Sep 2003
755 Posts
The renewals are mailed, generallly in mid-Septemeber. The renewal will also have enclosed a pre-addressed, postage paid ballot, along with the campaign statements of the candidates for AMA office.

As soon as you get the renewal, do your research, cast an educated vote for the candidate(s) of your choice.

It is important to note that you do not have to send the renewal at the same time. THE BALLOT MUST GO TO THE ADDRESS ON THE BALLOT (AMA's auditors) and NOT TO AMA HEADQUARTERS. If it is sent to HQ, it will not be counted. DO NOT SEND THE BALLOT AND THE RENEWAL TOGETHER.

It genearlly takes a few weeks to get your new membership card back. If your club requires an AMA membership for renewal, as most do, don't wait until the last week of the year to send it in or you may not be able to fly for a couple of weeks in January.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 09:25 PM
Older but not wiser
Richland, MI, USA
Joined Jan 2001
305 Posts
Here in Michigan nobody really wants to fly in January.

HRH
Hal Ray is offline Find More Posts by Hal Ray
Old Aug 28, 2004, 09:31 AM
J_R
Corona, CA
Joined Sep 2003
755 Posts
I guess everybody has their building season. When I was in AK, they said they have 4 seasons: June, July, August and Winter. Here in Southern Calif the building season is anytime you can't wear shorts and tee shirts to the field.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 03:00 PM
Flying RC since 1974
Del Norte, Colorado
Joined Dec 2002
736 Posts
Here the best flying is November through February when the wind abates a bit. Flying when it is 10 below is a severe test of your building abilities. Fortuneately, flying electic gives you a great excuse to sit in the car while batteries are charging.

Anyway, I always do the two year renewal option to save a few bucks and so I don't have to think about it so often.
ctdahle is offline Find More Posts by ctdahle