HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 07, 2004, 06:09 AM
account disabled
Joined Aug 2004
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muxje
Come on guys... everything's just speculation at this point. Let's just wait until EasyTiger (hopefully) gets his turbine delivered, and posts about it. ET, I think you'll have an attentive audience! I for one would love to get my hands on a turbine for $1000.
And then ET would say :it is very well,every guys purchase it .
And someone would say:"it is made in china , if some things happened,e.g
blade failure, injury.
they were acting for a trap of all modeller.
george007 is offline Find More Posts by george007
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2004, 02:39 PM
Rat Dude
AZ
Joined Jun 2004
596 Posts
It's become clear to me that george007 is just some **** that likes to argue...and no matter what anyone here says he's going to find something to say about it. He's like a child who has to get the last word in. Even if EasyTiger gets that jet engine and "made in China" is stamped all over it, george007 would say something like "anyone could stamp made in China on a product, but it doesn't make it so! facts still remain, not being made in China."

He's even going to dispute a WHOIS query that shows the website is based in China. All those cities and provinces listed are in China...and the CN after them is the country designation for China! So I can establish beyond doubt that the website is at least based in China as well as their internet provider. But Mr. "I Know Everything About China" says otherwise. Never mind that I also did a TRACERT and watched as the computer worked it's way through about every computer in CHINA to get to JetJoe.com.

I'm still waiting for an email reply from JetJoe, and that should settle the dispute once a for all -- of course I doubt that george007 will accept any results than those that fit with what he thinks. I really don't care where it's made...what I don't like is someone who thinks they know everything.

Oh, and george007, the reason you don't care about politics is because YOU CAN'T! You have no choice. You accept what they give you and you like it. If you had a choice to make, or had a say in your government you'd probably care about politics. If you could vote, you'd care.
mwraight is offline Find More Posts by mwraight
Last edited by gregg f; Aug 07, 2004 at 06:27 PM. Reason: edited for personel attack
Old Aug 07, 2004, 05:52 PM
Rat Dude
AZ
Joined Jun 2004
596 Posts
So now the story is that you're just concerned about everybody's life. Folks, we've found the Chinese Ralph Nader (and george, if you don't know who he is, he's a man that worked hard to ensure the safety of products in the U.S. ((among other things that we won't go into!)) )!!!

You may be right. It may be a poorly made product and it may end up hurting someone. But until someone buys one and tries it out we'll never know. I'm sure ET will take all the necessary precautions when using this turbine for the first time. If something does happen it won't be the first time that such a thing has occured. But until we know what the quality of this product is like we can't just assume it's bad and will cause injury. If someone does get hurt then the word will spread and others won't be in such a hurry to buy the product. It has to be tried first.

I'm sorry if you feel insulted george...but you've been extremely argumentative and only willing to listen to one opinion -- your own! You've stated from the very beginning that this product couldn't be made in China and you wouldn't listen to any other view points. So maybe there isn't a JetJoe factory in China...but maybe there is Hunan Turbine Factory...or Anhui Hobby Products...or maybe Shao Sheng Jiang is putting them together in his basement out of parts made by another company. There are a hundred explanations for why you can't find JetJoe on your Sohu.com.

So, I'm glad you're worried about your safety...but don't worry about mine, because I can't afford a turbine engine anyhow! I just want to build models that use them!
mwraight is offline Find More Posts by mwraight
Old Aug 07, 2004, 06:24 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,593 Posts
Lets keep from getting personel.
No personal attacks will be tolerated. If they continue the thread will be closed............
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Aug 07, 2004, 07:03 PM
account disabled
Joined Aug 2004
16 Posts
I suggest close the thread.
Last edited by gregg f; Aug 14, 2004 at 09:12 AM.
Old Aug 07, 2004, 11:52 PM
Joined Sep 2002
373 Posts
Please don't let the argument of two people close down an otherwise informative /constructive thread...

and mr George... u really don't know how much THEY are getting it for ... maybe the price u say is the market price but they can probably have certain parts made else where or cheaper or whatever...!

Btw easy tiger ... please be careful runnign it... we don't want you to have anything embeded in u! Maybe a good idea would be to build a Lexan case and run it in there for the first 24 hrs or so... Lexan will not shatter and you can view it safely and such...
this will cost you like 150$ but i guess its worth it
ssyed is offline Find More Posts by ssyed
Old Aug 08, 2004, 06:08 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
Of course if someone was *really* interested to find out whether these engines are safe they could buy a turbine wheel and have it X-Rayed and the metalurgy analysed.

That would probably cost a few hundred $ but it would provide the necessary "peace of mind".

Remember that early model turbines managed surprisingly well with stainless steel turbine wheels and that this isn't exactly a "high performance" unit by modern standards.

However, what *really* kills turbine wheels is excessive heat and JoeJet's simple alternative to a full ECU worries me a lot.

If they're using a cheaper turbine wheel *and* a simple pump-speed controler with no (or only RPMs) feedback then there is a much greater potential for disaster.

Still, even if one had to derate these engines to (say) 9lbs thrust to provide the necessary safety margins, they'd be very attractive to a lot of modelers who currently can't afford a turbine of any kind.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Aug 09, 2004, 10:57 AM
account disabled
Joined Aug 2004
16 Posts
Some one said the jj1200 is made in china.as well as its turbine weel sell $90 on the jetjoe.com
If jj1200 were from china, it would not be made of Inconel 718 stainless steel.it means that
some modeller will be injury or dead. I want to say --be careful!
Inconel 718 is only used turbin wheel on big aircraft,it is special steel for turbine.
In China, no user (besides aerocraft industry),it would have not market about inconel 718 . on the other hand, there are not jet modeller and microturbinejet industry. So the Inconel 718 stainless steel is less and every expensive, it is $61-67/kg ,it is different from else merchandise, businessmen did not speculate in the inconel 718 stainless steel, it is the things lose money in business.

To think that a turbine wheel only pay $90 in China is self-deceiving and doublespeak , it would set all modeller's life at defiance.

The steel of turbine wheel is required keep to a high anti-pull's intensity for a long long time in high temperature,so high temperature only is solo way. again and again to be used,and anti-tired intensity are the essential requirement of the steel. but a few of steel could be suitable,
Inconel 718 is one of their. If the turbine wheel were not made of the Inconel 718, and used ECU, the blade failure or the injured will bring all the same.

Last edited by george007; Aug 09, 2004 at 11:36 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2004, 03:47 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by george007
Some one said the jj1200 is made in china.as well as its turbine weel sell $90 on the jetjoe.com

So the Inconel 718 stainless steel is less and every expensive, it is $61-67/kg ,it is different from else merchandise

To think that a turbine wheel only pay $90 in China is self-deceiving and doublespeak , it would set all modeller's life at defiance.
How much does a turbine wheel weigh -- a whole lot less than Kg so the cost of the Inconel required would be a whole lot less than $61-$67 (maybe $15). It sounds reasonable therefore that they could be manufactured and sold for $90 each.

Quote:
The steel of turbine wheel is required keep to a high anti-pull's intensity for a long long time in high temperature,so high temperature only is solo way. again and again to be used,and anti-tired intensity are the essential requirement of the steel. but a few of steel could be suitable,
Inconel 718 is one of their. If the turbine wheel were not made of the Inconel 718, and used ECU, the blade failure or the injured will bring all the same.
What you're saying is something that everyone reading this forum is almost certainly already aware of.

But Inconel 718 isn't the *only* alloy that can be used for a turbine. Some of the original units built by Schrekling (sp?) were made from stainless steel sheet and worked satisfactorilly -- albeit at lower RPMs than we're used to today.

I've experimented with home-made turbine wheels made from 316 stainless steel that was milled from scratch.

Although there were issues with creep and minor distortion (caused by using "off-the rack" stainless bar stock), I never experienced any form of failure (partial or total) because I kept the RPMs low enough not to exceed the tensile strength of the material.

Sure, Inconel is a *far* better material and I don't think *I* would buy a turbine that used anything less -- but there *are* alternatives if you're willing to live with a significantly derated performance and other problems.

[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 09, 2004, 06:18 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hindhead
Joined May 2004
294 Posts
guys,

sorry to p*** on your chips but wren turbines are machined in china and assembled in the UK. That very big B52 you guys have been admiring would have been powered by chinese turbo jets.
desmo is offline Find More Posts by desmo
Old Aug 09, 2004, 08:53 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo
guys,

sorry to p*** on your chips but wren turbines are machined in china and assembled in the UK. That very big B52 you guys have been admiring would have been powered by chinese turbo jets.
Get outta here! For real?
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Old Aug 09, 2004, 09:12 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
The fuel pump arrived from JetJoe just a few minutes ago.

It looks okay, I'll take some pictures and post them in a few hours.

It even came with about 5ml of fuel in it! :-)
Old Aug 09, 2004, 09:20 PM
An Aussie in Canada
Belleville, Ontario.
Joined Sep 2003
545 Posts
Wren

desmo, re- Wren turbines being 'machined' in china, now what makes you think that?

XJet, looking forward to seeing those pics. where was it shipped from?
Marty C. is offline Find More Posts by Marty C.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 02:54 AM
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo
guys,

I am a director of Wren Turbines.

This is of course absolute nonsense. All parts of the MW54 are designed, cast, machined and fabricated in the UK. No parts are machined in any country other than the UK. We supply both kits and fully assembled engines. All assembly is carried out in our factory in Rotherham.

The B52 of Gordon Nichols (one of our customers) is indeed powered by 8 of our MW54 engines and must be the most fantastic model airplane yet built.

John Wright
John Wright is offline Find More Posts by John Wright
Old Aug 10, 2004, 07:46 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
So much for THAT theory!
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Closed Thread