HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2002, 03:32 PM
E-flight nut
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2001
93 Posts
Transporting plane to field on a bicycle???

Can somebody suggest planes which can take blustery wind gusts, and would survive being strapped to my back while I ride to/from my flying field?

My first and only thought is the ZAGI! Any others?
the#1 is offline Find More Posts by the#1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2002, 03:49 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Back when my only means of transportation was Mom, or bike, I built a trailer and pulled it behind my bike. You might want to consider that as an option. Of course, the route you would want to take with a trailer should be level and smooth. D)

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Jan 30, 2002, 08:08 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Have met two two-wheeled enthusiasts who got around nicely.

One rode by pedal power. He'd strap his model across a back pannier rack, after removing the undercarriage, carry his field gear in a bag slung over his bars. He did fly glow power - and even managed to carry a five foot span Pseudo-Sopwith Pup on his bike at one time.

The other was a bit more upmarket - a BMW motorcycle! However, his trick would work on a pedal type bike. He'd made a box that stored his model vertically, to fit one side of his panniers, and another to take his field kit. Not stopping there, he also designed a neat little high wing ship that even had a detachable stab, to fit his model box.

But you fly a Zagi, just strap it to your head. It'll protect your crash hat if you fall off
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jan 30, 2002, 09:27 PM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
Anything with under 30" span could be put in a backpack and carried that way. If the wing comes off of course.
Foxtrot is offline Find More Posts by Foxtrot
Old Jan 30, 2002, 11:08 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
ROTFL Dereck!
FlyByMike is offline Find More Posts by FlyByMike
Old Jan 31, 2002, 01:30 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,004 Posts
Before I had a car I use to ride my bike almost every day after school up to the slope (about 2 miles) to fly my 2 meter glider. It didn't get taken apart or anything. I held it by the fuse and just peddled rather relaxed. My other hand gripped the handle bars and the Tx was in a backpack. I never had an accident but it was a challenge to my coordination. The only wierd/bad thing that ever happened was one day, peddling along the street, a van crept up behind me and before I knew it a teenager was hanging out the window and tried to snatch my plane by grabbing the wing tip. He didn't get a good grip but got some choice words instead
I miss those relaxing rides...
Troy is online now Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2002, 01:57 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
it all depends if you are planning on falling off the bike

if not, anything with a detachable wing will do... if not, zagi or razor would be very easy...
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Jan 31, 2002, 04:47 PM
Ijamsville, MD, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2001
456 Posts
Have a look at Troy as he backpacks his RAZOR on the fmadirect.com web site under Customer Talk.
Fred Marks is offline Find More Posts by Fred Marks
Old Jan 31, 2002, 06:55 PM
E-flight nut
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2001
93 Posts
Thanks for all the replys. I used to carry my firebirdXL in one hand, and ride 2 flat blocks to the park, but now I have a T-33, and live a mile down a steep, shoulderless hill from the ridge. Maybe I'll just start hoofin' it! People will get to know me as 'that guy with the plane' !!!
the#1 is offline Find More Posts by the#1
Old Feb 03, 2002, 07:54 PM
ireland
Joined Apr 2001
250 Posts
best to dissamble planes

Due to the fact that for the last ten years with my work I had to change counties in europe regularly and my modes of transport were trains busses and planes I had to develop a system where all my plane had to fold back into small boxxes

Presently when I arrive to a flying field with one sack over my sholder I will normally have four plane in the bag

Apon opening the bag the impression is I just bought the planes from the LHS as they are still in thier original boxxes until I bolt them together Very similar to the system used in High wing 40 trainer from Thunder Tiger except used every flight
(should sue them for copying me)

Planes with fold up system in use presently which squeeze back into original box at purchase

ARTF highwing 25 converted to 600 geared
ARTF low wing 25 converted to 700 direct
ARTF HLG JOY
ARTF daisy 400 direct epoxy fibre fuse balsa structured wing
ARTF Aeronaut fox pylon 600 direct epoxyFibre glass fuse and wing
ARTF tinky 400 geared epoxy fibre fuse foam venneered wing
ARTF Aeronaut co-sinus F5B 600 geared epoxy fibre fuse vennered wing
KIT Aeronaut sky raider400 geared epoxy Fibre fuse balsa structured wing
Kit Wonder 400 upgraded 500 direct

Other kits I have graupner terry starjet foamies to dificult to convert used at local football pitch

Havent transported these on bike but did use small pedal type petrol powered moped for one year in south France(to hot to pedal)
Later purchased small trailer to carry my three metre glider too awkward stapped to side of moped and could then put 40 amp lead acid battery into trailer instead of carrier box (real tail heavy moped)

Now days in Ireland use bus to get to fly zones and with several planes one charger one rc unit twenty plus packs precharged and one special 10*7000 amp nicad to top up precharged battery packs usually get ten flights per session and with slope soaring regret carring so many packs

Would be real easy to cycle with this lot but Public transport in most european countries is normally suffecent

The basic trick when you purchase plane organise wings to be in two parts (dont glue together)
Normally I use a combination of hollow carbon fibre tubes available in most good LHS for KITES but other solutions would probably work such as replace plywood wing key with metal and then use clips or nylon bolts to keep wings together

For the tailplane normaly I use two or more 3mm steel bolts 40mm long or less to hold tailplane down and sometimes where nessary these bolts hold tail down onto tailplane but smaller models freqently dont need to remove tail
So far to date never had a inflight failure of components breaking of and when I have a bad landing which breaks plane repair work is speeded up as its easier to get at relavant broken section and wings never seem to break as the carbon fibre rod for wing key snaps first saving the wing so always carry extra wing keys

My two ARTF 25 plane all parts are similar and wing tailplane etc are totaly interchangeable (servo do stick out on wing when swopped) and presently trying to organise interchanable front fusalage section with another motor so the two planes can be made to make one biplane (yep arrive with two plane and extra nose and get three planes)

Also looking to convert bycyle to run on electric power so I understand what your idea is

Best advise epoxy fusalge is the best for resisting hanger rash but foam vennered wing are heavy properly organized balsa structured wings in bubble wrap survive a lot of rough transport

Best fold up plane I had was 600mm foam vennered wing onto pod and boom fusalage with and 480 direct folder 6*3.5 cut downto 5.5 inch with ten red 500 ars wing surface 10dm^2 and this plane when folded up was refered too in my french club as LA FUZEE a la POUCHE due to the fact it fitted into my poket and when folded up and went like a bomb when lit up

Fly low and fast and realize thier not matching wing halfs

David in Ireland
thin wing is offline Find More Posts by thin wing
Old Feb 04, 2002, 02:27 AM
Teddington, UK
Joined Dec 1996
275 Posts
I've taken my zagi out flying on numerous occasions on the back of my motorbike. It looks like the worlds biggest, daftest spoiler
I was just able to bungee ot on and as long as I didn't go over 50 mph everything was fine. One idea with the zagi is to use the shucks that came in the box to make a box. Just carve bits out until you can get them to fit the wings again and then cover in cardboard. Not all that pretty, but cheap and effective. Also, have a look at mugi's (www.mugi.co.uk), Mine survived 80+mph on the back of the bike with no ill efects.

Barny
ybanrab is offline Find More Posts by ybanrab