HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 14, 2004, 02:53 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,855 Posts
Utah Unicorn Diary (Part II)

We were asked by a moderator to start part II of this thread, so here it is.

The original thread can be found here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211593

I've modified the name from Unicorn Diary and added Utah, since that's where most of the participants are from, and most of the time is spend discussing Unicorn combat sessions for the group. Of course, anybody that wants to pipe in and ask questions or make comments, feel free.

If you'd like to see video of our recent sessions, you can download it here:
http://www.xmission.com/~toddsher/RC...bat_sr3mov.zip for quicktime lovers (sorenson3), and here:
http://www.xmission.com/~toddsher/RC...at_divxavi.zip for avi people (divx).

Enjoy
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2004, 12:30 PM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,030 Posts
Slabs,

I hope you find this continuation...

In answer to your question; Yes, you do use fibertape before any covering, being it packingtape, oracover, ultracote, or papertoweling...
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Aug 14, 2004, 10:48 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
Chiming into the new thread!

Did you guys fly this morning? I'd normally prefer flying to golf anyday -- but as work paid my entry into a customer tourny and I came away with $130 in prizes, I guess it was time well spent.

Also, it looks like I will be a GO for this weekend. But I would still like to fly early this week if others want in.

Tuesday, 7:00AM, US Synthetics Park -- who's in?

Darren

P.S. -- I think I forgot to mention my Unicorn passed its 100th flight just about the time I refinished it. Here's hoping this refurbish lasts another 100 flights!
Darren Hintze is online now Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Last edited by Darren Hintze; Aug 14, 2004 at 10:51 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 11:22 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,855 Posts
I'm still go for Tuesday, and hopefully Saturday. Tim called this morning to let me now he couldn't make it due to a water leak in his house, and I was relieved to just stay home and sleep in after a long night at work. . . though I've been in a bad mood all day because I missed Saturday combat. I'm having obvious and painful withdrawals.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2004, 08:57 AM
United States, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,630 Posts
so in unicorn combat you try to knock the other planes out of the sky?where can i find a cheap one.would anybody want to combat me with a realflight g2 simulator 100 to 110 inch wingspans?cicisfun and I are still trying to arrange our combat.We will be doing open class combat and scale combat.I just thought it would be more fun with more people.
ryan
Ryan Archer is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Archer
Old Aug 15, 2004, 10:36 AM
Corn-holio
Provo Utah
Joined Mar 2004
900 Posts
Hey Im in for Tuesday too. Im so combat deprived Im not sure I can be fully accountable for my actions though :-)

I flew my new bird in montana, I scared a heard of cows away with it. It was pretty fun. Hey maybe unicorns can help cattle rustlers...whole new market for you Mark.

I have mixed feelings on the new motor tube. It is solid as a rock but I had to add more weight then I would have liked to the nose to compensate. My new corn is much heavier then my old one but for combat that is probably the way to go. I used a lot of fiber tape on the nose for weight that is usefull.
Jared_Zygote is offline Find More Posts by Jared_Zygote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 07:08 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Archer
so in unicorn combat you try to knock the other planes out of the sky?
Yessirreee!! A secondary goal is to NOT be hit out of the sky, so watching people attempt difficult post-hit recoveries is half the fun.

Quote:
Where can i find a cheap one?
Unicorns are cheap. $50 for the full kit. You buy them online at www.unicornwings.net.

Quote:
Would anybody want to combat me with a realflight g2 simulator 100 to 110 inch wingspans?
If I have time to fly, I go and fly. Once you've done combat in real life, simulators just can't compare.

Quote:
cicisfun and I are still trying to arrange our combat.We will be doing open class combat and scale combat.I just thought it would be more fun with more people.
Are you saying you'd like to join us? If you're in Utah, please feel free to join in with whatever planes you want to combat with. In our group, we only have unicorns so far. But we'd be more than happy to knock any of your scale birds out of the sky as well! As long as you're willing to cut your power before you slam into our planes. If the prop is in the front, you can do a lot of unnecessary damage. Our goal isn't to destroy each others planes, it's just to get lots of good mid-air collisions. I guess that's one of the primary reasons the Unicorn is such a great combat wing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2004, 09:43 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
Even if you're not in Utah, feel free to join us anytime.

Tuesday AM I will likely also be maidening my F-18. I just put the finishing touches on it and it looks like amp draw will be low enough that my Tanic 4s pack will be able to handle it. At least I'd like to try a nice 4 min maiden with it to see how hot it gets.

Can't wait for Tuesday!

Darren
Old Aug 16, 2004, 11:36 AM
Newark UK
Joined Jun 2004
102 Posts
new cells

sorry to Butt in I'm trying out some new cell setups and need the help from hardend combat pilots.
can any of you that are running brushless setups tell me what you are running, pack type, voltage, prop, weight of battery pack and max amps you draw(if you've mesured it).
the cells I am trying out should be ideal for combat any more I don't want to say in case the work proves to be a no good and I end up with instead of or

I know its a lot to ask but the results could be smashing though not to the corns

kendrick
kendrick is offline Find More Posts by kendrick
Old Aug 16, 2004, 12:13 PM
Olive Hill, KY
Joined Apr 2004
151 Posts
At our elevation it seems to be Mega 16/15/4 and a Pheonix 25 with either 10xNiMH(high amp) and a 5x5 prop or 3s(1 or 2p) Lipo and a 6x5 prop. There is a successful 4s lipo and a 6x6 prop as well. Tim
Fubeca is offline Find More Posts by Fubeca
Old Aug 16, 2004, 02:19 PM
Corn-holio
Provo Utah
Joined Mar 2004
900 Posts
I use a mega 16 15 4 with a 6x4 prop and 3s2p Tanic 2500 pack that will draw up to 30 amps. I havent tested it with an amp tester but I should be drawing about 24 amps. The tanics only weigh 172 grams. But you have to add weight to the nose to compensate.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 04:38 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
Unicorn Set Ups

There is a successful 4s lipo and a 6x6 prop as well

That's mine, but I'm flying the Mega 16/15/5, not the 4T. Currently my set up is:

Mega 16/15/5; CC-35 ESC; 4s2p 3000 and 4s1p 2200 packs; 6x6 prop
Power in (measured) 20A @ 13V or 260W.

Most run the following:
Mega 16/15/4; CC-35 ESC; 3s packs in the 3000mah range; 5x5 - 6x6 props
Power in (measured from my father's running 3s on a 5x5): 22A at 9.5V or ~215W.

Most of our planes fall somewhere between these two measured points.

At 215W the Unicorn is very fast with incredibly good climb. Mine at 260W has nearly unlimited vertical even at 4700 feet. For the kind of combat we do, 200W+ is plenty. Any set up you can pull about 200 Watts from on a 5-7 inch, high pitch prop will work well. There are many options out there that will work.

To be honest though, I'm really considering saving my lipo packs for my Jet and going back to some of the new higher drain NiMH packs for combat.

A 12 cell GP1100 pack would fit nicely in my Unicorn and wouldn't weigh any more than my 4s2p 3000mah pack. My 'Corn flies better with the extra weight anyway, and four such packs would allow me to fly indefinately (three charging and one flying).

Four 12 cell GP1100 packs would cost about the same as ONE of my larger 4s packs (approx $90) -- and provide more total capacity (4400mah vs 3000mah).

Combat is hard on packs -- just look at the video and see how many times we slam the ground. Even Todd's uber protection hasn't kept a pack or two of his from crumpling. As long as that is known going in, fine.
Last edited by Darren Hintze; Aug 16, 2004 at 04:52 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 06:44 PM
Joined Aug 2004
8 Posts
Newbies as targets...

So, do you need some new targets to hit?

I bought a Unicorn about 2 months ago, along with 2 other guys from work. We all have stock electronics, and only one of us has ever flown before buying the Unicorn. We'd like to try combat, but do you think we should practice amongst ourselves first, or should we just come down and be targets for you?

Could you give me directions to the field (coming south from SLC)? I looked fairly seriously in the first thread, but didn't find anything concrete. You fly on Tuesday and Saturday mornings, right? What time?

Cheers,
Robin
rpardey is offline Find More Posts by rpardey
Last edited by rpardey; Aug 16, 2004 at 06:47 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 10:25 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,855 Posts
Robin,

Come on Down! Heck, it'd be cool to hook up our two groups!

On Tuesday mornings we fly at the field next to my office in Orem. Take I-15 South until you get to the University Parkway Exit (by UVSC). Turn onto University heading west and go straight through the light at Geneva Road. Keep going until you get to 1600 West, then turn South (left). Pull in behind the two identical cinder block buildings and park at the park. We're meeting tomorrow morning at 7 a.m.

We usually meet at Burgess Park in Alpine on Saturday mornings around 8 a.m. We fly there usually until around 10 a.m. To get there, take I-15 until you get to the Highland/Alpine exit (just north of Thanksgiving Point). Take that road east for 4 or 5 miles. You'll come to a light that has a gas station and the Kohler's market. Turn left on that Road and go North. You'll come to a round-about. Take that three-quarters around and head west. You'll come to a park with some baseball diamonds, but keep going until you get to the school just west of the park. Park out front, and go behind the school, where the football/soccer field is. That's where we fly.

We all started with stock setups, so we all understand what your flying limitations will be. If any of you want to fly with us, but don't want to get hit, just let us know before you go up and we'll avoid you. That's doesn't mean you won't occasionally get hit anyway. . . on accident of course.

If you want to call before you come, or if you are worried about getting lost, PM me or Darren and we'll give you our cell #s.

If you 3 end up coming, we could end up with groups of around 10 combat flyers on a weekly basis! Unimaginably cool!!!

Just monitor this thread before each flight day and watch to see who's coming and not. Sometimes we shift times around a bit to accomodate irregularities in people's schedules, so it's good to keep watch here. We have 4 people committed for tomorrow morning, so it'd be a good time to hook up.

Todd
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Wind_of_Change; Aug 16, 2004 at 10:29 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 11:47 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
Usually we fly Tuesdays at lunch -- the Saturday AM events were started because noon Tuesdays became too hot. I imagine Satrudays may end before too long. We'll see.

Do watch the thread because we will throw in some special times and events -- we'll do so more often if we know more pilots will come at other times.

The more the merrier!

Darren
Old Aug 17, 2004, 12:37 AM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hintze
I imagine Satrudays may end before too long. We'll see.
...The more the merrier!

Darren
Hold on now! You can't end Saturdays before my brother and I finish our Unicorns and fly with you. I 'm hopping to be done in two weeks, and then he should be done in 3 or 4 weeks. He is new to R/C so I have to hook up with him to help him.

May be a Fall fun Fly in the "Corn Maize" at Burgess Park?
erashby is offline Find More Posts by erashby
Last edited by erashby; Aug 17, 2004 at 01:25 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 12:38 AM
Joined Jul 2004
23 Posts
The audience is growing bored and demands more Unicorn combat videos! So get on the field and fly and remember to video it!
Tojusi is offline Find More Posts by Tojusi
Old Aug 17, 2004, 10:23 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,855 Posts
Yeah, we need to get some more videos going. We flew this morning and had the most spectacular head-on collision. Stopped both planes dead in the air. It sounded gruesome, but it didn't do any damage. We lost some winglets today and spent a lot of time skidding around in the sky. Amazing how much those little winglets keep the plane on track.

The giant corn field that we fly over on Tuesdays has gotten really tall, and it'd be almost impossible to find a plane if it went down in it, so our flying area is a lot smaller. Keeping it over the park is a real challenge, and the combat is a little more frantic.

Darren tried out his new F18 today. Looks awesome, but we couldn't get it in the air with a hand launch. Needs landing gear or a catapult. Bumber, I wanted to see that beauty fly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2004, 12:35 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
Yeah, throwing that F-18 was kinda funny. The first toss it ended up actually sticking into the grass. Looking back, I REALLY wish we would have snapped a photo of that. The grass was wet and muddy so the plane was buried in about 4" with the body sticking up in the air.

Fortunately there's only about thirty minutes of repair work to do in addition to another hour or so of LG modification.

Combat was awesome this morning. It was perfect flying weather! The head-on with Todd was spectacular. We hit square. Both planes just stopped and fell.

I had a couple of good hits with Jared as well... one dropped his into the edge of the cornfield. Good thing it was just the edge. The stalks are probably 8 feet high now.

Great day all.
Darren
Old Aug 17, 2004, 01:44 PM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
see below

duplicate post
You used to be able to erase your post.
Last edited by erashby; Aug 17, 2004 at 02:13 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 01:46 PM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Motors, Batteries, Comments, Questions

Quote:
There is a successful 4s lipo and a 6x6 prop as well.
That's mine, but I'm flying the Mega 16/15/5, not the 4T. Currently my set up is:

Mega 16/15/5; CC-35 ESC; 4s2p 3000 and 4s1p 2200 packs; 6x6 prop
Power in (measured) 20A @ 13V or 260W.
I didn't know that the 5T could handle 4S. At full charge that would be 16.8 amps. When the pack is "done" that would be 12 volts. Does your motor get hot? With such a high pitch prop at what speed does the prop stall? Does it stall in tight turns, loops, or on a slowish hand launch?

Quote:
Most run the following:
Mega 16/15/4; CC-35 ESC; 3s packs in the 3000mah range; 5x5 - 6x6 props
Power in (measured from my father's running 3s on a 5x5): 22A at 9.5V or ~215W.
Motors:
I've got both the 4T and a 5T that I could use. Which would you recommend? Tell me the differences that you have noticed between the 4T and the 5T unicorns that you have seen/flown.

Battery packs:
At first, I will be using my Kan 950 packs I think that they are only good to 20 amps.
(Eventually, I'll get some high discharge Lipo packs, I have a lipo charger and some low discharge e-tech packs for other planes).
I have 5 of the 9 cell packs. They are 3x3 flat packs, so they fit the stock battery bay fine. But I have 5 extra loose cells so I can reconfigure at least a couple of the packs. Should I just make them 3widex4long flat packs. What would you recommend? If I go with 12 cell packs then I can get more watts for the same amps, like you do. That is very appealing. You are getting higher power with a slightly lower amp draw.

Quote:
To be honest though, I'm really considering saving my lipo packs for my Jet and going back to some of the new higher drain NiMH packs for combat.

A 12 cell GP1100 pack would fit nicely in my Unicorn and wouldn't weigh any more than my 4s2p 3000mah pack. My 'Corn flies better with the extra weight anyway, and four such packs would allow me to fly indefinately (three charging and one flying).

Four 12 cell GP1100 packs would cost about the same as ONE of my larger 4s packs (approx $90) -- and provide more total capacity (4400mah vs 3000mah).
Comments:
If you are drawing 20amps (let's say 22 amps for an easier equation), that means that means that each pack will only give you 3 minutes.

(1.1amp/hrs X 60min/hr) / 22amps = 3 min

Four packs would only give you 12 minutes of WOT. What am I missing here?

Quote:
Combat is hard on packs -- just look at the video and see how many times we slam the ground. Even Todd's uber protection hasn't kept a pack or two of his from crumpling. As long as that is known going in, fine.
Another Question:
What added protection has Tod done?
Last edited by erashby; Aug 17, 2004 at 02:11 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 01:53 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
Higher turn motors can handle very high voltages. Yes, fully charged my 4s lipos come it at 16.8V -- which is why I use the CC-35 ESC, the BEC is rated for votages that high. Current wise, I could get away with a CC-25.

Some guys are running the 5T in EDF applications with 6s or 7s battery packs.

I don't know when the prop stalls, but it is at a low speed. Even the stalled prop puts out plenty of thrust not to be noticable. It zings right out after hand launch. Most of us use the 1:1 diameter-to-pitch props for these wings.

My motor stays nice and cool. I'm still taxing my packs a lot more than the motor.

With your 9 cell KAN packs go with the 4T. My brother in law flies his with 9 cell KANs on a 4T with a 5x5 and it's too fast for him still. We may switch to the 6x4 just to add some thrust and lower speed a bit (he's just graduating from a Slow Stick). It flies great at 1/2 throttle for about 8 mins.

Darren
Last edited by Darren Hintze; Aug 17, 2004 at 01:57 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 02:27 PM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Darren, thanks for the info. I think I was editing my post when you responded, so you might not have seen the last part of the post. What uber protection has Tod added?
I have my 4T in my Unicorn (under construction). I think I'll start with it and reconfigure packs latter if needed. Are you guys flying Saturday at Burgess park? I still want to come and fly my daughters PEC 54" EPP trainer with a video camera for aerial shots of the combat, but I could be finishing my Unicorn during that time. Decisions, decisions.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 02:38 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
Todd would have to detail all of it for you -- but he's got plastic shields and extra foam padding all over his battery bay.

I'm not sure who is on for this Saturday... but I'm pretty sure I won't make it. We want to go somewhere way from town for the kids last weekend before school starts.

How old is your daughter that flies? Next time I come my daughter will probably come fly a target slow stick for us.

Darren

Edit: forgot to comment about this

If you are drawing 20amps (let's say 22 amps for an easier equation), that means that means that each pack will only give you 3 minutes.

If I was flying WOT the entire time you'd be correct. But in our combat WOT is used only in bursts and lots of time is spent gliding because our club combat etiquette is props must be off when going for a hit.

I find I average about 6 amps draw (78W) during combat (my 3000mah packs last more than half an hour in combat). 1100mah is 66 Amp/minutes -- divided by 6A is 11 minutes.
Last edited by Darren Hintze; Aug 17, 2004 at 02:49 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 09:17 PM
Corn-holio
Provo Utah
Joined Mar 2004
900 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but what is prop stall?
Old Aug 17, 2004, 10:10 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
Hi Jared,

Props are essentially spinning wings. They not only "bat the wind backward" but they provide lift in the forward direction. Just like a wing, when the angle of attack is too high, it stalls. The "wind batting" still occurs, but a lot of efficiency is lost because the prop is not longer "lifting" forward.

Usually prop pitch doesn't exceed 75% of diameter (10x7, 9x6, 6x4 etc) because doing so will cause the prop to stall at low speeds.

The advantage of going to high pitched props is that they become more efficient at higher speeds assuming the system still provides enough power to get the plane moving.

Since our Unicorns don't need much power to get going and we usually like zinging them around the field, we chose higher pitched props.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 09:52 AM
Corn-holio
Provo Utah
Joined Mar 2004
900 Posts
Wow cool, thanks for the lesson. Im using a 6x4 but I have noticed alot of people with my setup use 6x5.5. Which would you think is best?
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:22 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,855 Posts
Erashby,

I found that the flimsy thin plastic strip that they provide with your Unicorn provides zero protection for your battery and other bay components. I went to Walmart and bought a Mead Plastic folder, the kind kids use for school. I found one I really liked that had really strong plastic, but was still flexible. It was black plastic with a metallic white gold outside.

I cut a sheet of that that was BIGGER than the battery bay, probably twice as big. Then I cut another sheet of plastic that would act as the sleeve that I taped to the front of the unicorn and ultracoted over. The bay door then isn't attached, it slides inside the front sleeve and velcro's down. I've added foam life preserver padding (the kind you get with your receiver) underneath the plastic to give extra padding to my battery. I also put my battery in sideways instead of long ways. This gives me added protection in a nose-dive.

So basically, I have 2 plastic layers and a foam layer protecting my lipo. If I'm gonna spend $90 on a lipo, I want it to survive. And one of the best combat tactics for hitting another plane is to do a power dive from above, swoop underneath the enemy plane, and then lift up into it's belly at high speed. That way your plane has UPWARD momentum when you hit, which gives you an increased chance of recovering after the hit. Generally if you dive on somebody and hit them from above, you've got so much downward momentum that it makes recovery much less probable, especially when you hit low to the ground like we often do. You see me doing that to Darren several times in the videos I posted, and my plane ends up biting the ground pretty hard, which is still WAY fun to watch, but not very safe.

When Darren says all the extra protection doesn't protect my battery, that's misleading. My batteries have NEVER taken damage from combat. But other components have, like the time he's probably thinking of when my battery got a little bent. During a hard combat hit, one of the servo wires came out of the receiver. We were fairly close to the ground, but my plane ended up oriented nose down, which is a great way to come out of a hit because you can quickly build speed back up and pull out. So I throttled up full knowing that I would have 1 or 2 feet of clearance in my recovery if I did everything just right. (I love challenging recoveries, they really get your adrenaline pumping!).

Anyway, as you can imagine, with only one servo working, and my plane at full throttle, my plane ended up going nose first into the ground. I was probably going 60+ MPH when I hit. So my lipo got bent a little bit, but not enough to actually hurt it. Because the battery was oriented sideways, which gave me 2" of extra EPP in front of the battery than normal, the battery took only a small fraction of the damage it would have taken if it were oriented lenghtwise, like most people do. I also have taken to velcroing in my ESC, so that it doesn't get yanked hard on ground hits. All of my other components are imbedded in the foam, including the servos which have a small foam layer over them. I'm considering doing a plastic layer over the servos instead of foam (under the ultracote of course).

Anyway, you should come down to our next session and I can s how you my mods.

Cheers,
Todd
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2004, 01:17 PM
American Fork, UT
Joined Dec 2001
159 Posts
Darren, if you are switching back to round cells I have several packs (8 and 10 cell) of the 1950 FAUP cells. I was going to use these on my unicorn but I just don't know that I'll ever have the time to finish it. I agree, for combat round cells take the beating better, and create worry free flying.
VortexOfPain is offline Find More Posts by VortexOfPain
Old Aug 18, 2004, 02:18 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
A few replies -- going backward:

Darren, if you are switching back to round cells I have several packs (8 and 10 cell) of the 1950 FAUP cells.

I wish I could use those 1950FAUP's, but with my 5T, I'm better off with 12 cells. FAUP's are pretty big and heavy compared to the GP1100's.

When Darren says all the extra protection doesn't protect my battery, that's misleading

I don't think I said it doesn't help, certainly that's not what I meant to say. Your system is great, Todd. I'd recommend it to anyone using Lipos. It just that no system of protections is fool-proof and in combat we hit the ground pretty dang hard quite a bit.

When chosing cells, that should be taken into account. But of course, I'm flying 100% lipos currently too.

Im using a 6x4 but I have noticed alot of people with my setup use 6x5.5. Which would you think is best?

I like the extra speed of the higher pitched props, but that's personal preference. A 6x4 is usually pretty fast and won't draw as many amps. I just picked up some 6x4's to put on my brother-in-law's plane.

Saturday is still looking iffy for me, but it is possible I could be there. Who could make an 8am start Saturday at Burgess?

Darren
Old Aug 18, 2004, 04:50 PM
jug
Joined Aug 2004
94 Posts
If any of you live near Kearns there is a big field with some really powerful thermals at 5600 south and 5240 west I believe. Where is Burgess park located? Most of my Air to Air combat is done on my PC playing Lock on and IL2 FB Aces but this sounds like it would be a blast!
jug is offline Find More Posts by jug
Old Aug 18, 2004, 09:58 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,855 Posts
Darren,

I'm planning on Saturday. 8 a.m. is best for me. I need to build a new winglet to replace the one you popped off of my plane over the corn patch. THAT would have been a fruitless search.

There really isn't a huge advantage to using the Lipos over Nimh packs in the unicorns, especially when doing combat. The plane has to be balanced with weight in the front, whether it's battery weight or lead weight. While I've already invested in Lipo's, I think Lipos would be better in this plane if you wanted to build it light for soaring or performance flying. If you only used a couple strips of fiber tape, kept all your winglets/elevons light and used a tanic pack, this plane would be super light and agile plane.

I like my design though, and I can use my lipos for other planes as well. However, Unicorn Combat has really replaced my regular flying pretty much all together.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:26 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
Well, we moved our trip from this week to next so now I'm out next week but this week looks more likely.

Now that I have a lead on some cloroplast, I think I'll make new winglets that match my new covering too.

Looking forward to it!
Darren
Old Aug 19, 2004, 01:42 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,855 Posts
Hey Darren, if you find some nice coroplast, will you buy me a sheet? Just let me know how much it is and I'll bring the $$ Saturday. I want to start using that for my winglets and elevons. Thanks Man!

Todd
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2004, 05:56 AM
Ohio Wapak
Joined Feb 2002
3,710 Posts
I know you guys heard this from me before but I used the poster board which is shinny on both sides (Put oracover on it) and cut my winglet out....very durable and flexable but light....works for me....never had a problem or never came off..now I am not doing combat like you guys (Jellous) but just my 2 cents'
thor4944 is offline Find More Posts by thor4944
Old Aug 19, 2004, 08:47 AM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
Will do Todd.

The lead I have is to go grab some out of the trash heap of a sign company -- and if I can't find one, we actually have an old sign I'll cut up. I can't believe I didn't remember that.
Usually your average street hobo shakes you down for a dollar.... but then I'm not your average street hobo.

Darren
Old Aug 19, 2004, 09:30 AM
Corn-holio
Provo Utah
Joined Mar 2004
900 Posts
I went to a sign shop and asked for a piece. They came back with a huge scrap piece and didnt charge me anything for it. Ill find out about my chances for saturday tonight.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 10:06 AM
Joined Aug 2004
8 Posts
Two more for Saturday...

Well, I'm definitely on for Saturday, and so is one of my coworkers (probably). Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Robin
rpardey is offline Find More Posts by rpardey
Old Aug 19, 2004, 11:13 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,855 Posts
Robin,

That's fantastic. I'm glad you guys will be able to make it. Looks like Saturday is starting to shape up nicely. Hopefully Tim & Jake will make it, which would give us 7 planes.

Jared,

If you have extra choroplast, could I get a slab? I have a feeling after Saturday that it may be time to redo my winglets and elevons.

Thor, the ever present poster board spokesman!! When you gonna buy a ticket and fly out here for some combat!?

So is it back around to me for refreshments?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Wind_of_Change; Aug 20, 2004 at 01:33 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 04:18 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
Hey Todd,

I dropped a bit of Cloroplast by your place today... I was down there for lunch so I thought I'd stop by and see if there were any pilots about.

I left enough with Christian to do a couple of winglets.

The piece I have isn't quite long enough to do elevrons.

Darren
Old Aug 19, 2004, 04:25 PM
Olive Hill, KY
Joined Apr 2004
151 Posts
Saturday's looking good here. I'll bug Jake too.
Tim
Fubeca is offline Find More Posts by Fubeca
Old Aug 19, 2004, 04:35 PM
Corn-holio
Provo Utah
Joined Mar 2004
900 Posts
Todd

I think the piece I have is still big enough for elevons. If it is I will drop some by tomorrow but only if you start spelling my name correctly :-)
Old Aug 19, 2004, 06:38 PM
Ohio Wapak
Joined Feb 2002
3,710 Posts
Wind I need a break...Trying to defend the West Coast offense is a bear and giving me a headach!!!!...I need a break........To bad my wife says different!!! LOL
Have fun guys..and hit one down for me!!!
thor4944 is offline Find More Posts by thor4944
Old Aug 20, 2004, 01:38 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,855 Posts
Jared,

Done and done! I even went back and changed the spelling in prior posts for good measure!! Ya gotta love editable forums.

Thanks Darren, I'll see if I can get new winglets done for Saturday. If Jared drops off some more, I may even do elevons. That should lighten up my plane enough that I can take out the lead weight in my nose and save some weight.

Thor, my wife said she may be willing to come and shoot video again, so I'll let you know how it turns out and maybe cut a video together Sunday afternoon if we get good footage.

See you all Saturday!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2004, 09:04 AM
Corn-holio
Provo Utah
Joined Mar 2004
900 Posts
Im in Saturday too.

Todd, I can drop off the sheet on my way home at about 4 if that works for you.

Its not in as good a shape as I had hoped but its really not too bad.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 03:52 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
I'm in for Saturday as well. And my Dad says he's in too.

Should be a good crowd if nothing goes stupid with the schedules.

Darren
Old Aug 20, 2004, 05:31 PM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Guys, I'd love to come and meet you all and video from the air with my daughters trainer: However, I remembered that it is my aniversary. Yikes, that's tomorrow--I don't think I'll be coming. But do post video. Later.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 06:37 PM
Newark UK
Joined Jun 2004
102 Posts
new cell tests

Thanks to all for the info you have provided on your brushless corns I am using the info as part of the background work for a new cell on the block I have done half of the static tests (using nicad cells) now to compare with the new battery pack. When all the data is in I will post the results.I hope the new cells will be able to give a corn running on approx. 12v the duration of a lithium pack with the safety of the nickel metal hydride cells

the results will be ready as soon as possable but the flight tests will be delaed by the werid weather the UK is getting at the moment
kendrick is offline Find More Posts by kendrick
Old Aug 20, 2004, 08:40 PM
Crash happens! :)
Utah
Joined Jun 2002
2,161 Posts
Arrow is offline Find More Posts by Arrow
Last edited by Arrow; Feb 18, 2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 07:03 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erashby
Guys, I'd love to come and meet you all . . .However, I remembered that it is my aniversary. Yikes, that's tomorrow--I don't think I'll be coming. But do post video. Later.
Erashby, where are your priorities?!

Wholly cow, I just realized my anniversary is next weekend!!!
I'm glad you said something!! I better get something planned so that I can still make Saturday morning.

Well, we only had 5 unicorns today, and we only got video from the second hour of flying. We were lucky enough to have a few lurkers from this thread show up to watch. Of course we recruited them to shoot video and we got a few good hits on tape. Good job guys, and thanks!!

There's something of a surprise ending to this one; an ending that busted Darren's motor tube and finished off the day with a bang.

We tried out Limbo for the first time today, thanks to our friendly lurkers who brought some poles and toilet paper with them. We ran out of toilet paper though, primarily because I crapped my pants when Darren's plane slammed into the ground next to me. My favorite hits are the ones that happen right overhead because they're so close, but when collisions happen overhead and I'm flying my plane way out at the edge of the field, it's easy to be taken by surprise as debris and plane bodies rain down from the sky.

We had a new combat pilot join the fray today, Darren's father-in-law Richard? Correct me if I'm wrong on the relation Darren. He got a taste for blood today with a few good hits.

Anyhow, didn't have time to cut together a music video, so I just captured a few highlights and posted them for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!

http://www.xmission.com/~toddsher/RC...rncombat03.zip
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Wind_of_Change; Aug 22, 2004 at 09:08 AM.
Closed Thread