SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 13, 2004, 01:42 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2004
236 Posts
Question
ME-109, Spitfire, F4U Corsair, F4U Corsair, or P-51D Mustang, best flyer???

Hi!

I just started flying planes and looking for my third plane and want it to be little more advanced.

These planes look awsome to say the least, and I'm having a hard time to decide whitch one I should buy.

Heard that the Spitfire is the plane which controls the best, could anybody confirm this?

Maybe I could just chose the one who looks the best?

Wow... really looking forward to fly one of these babies, can't wait...
zippiz is offline Find More Posts by zippiz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2004, 01:59 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2004
167 Posts
do a search.
Electricman is offline Find More Posts by Electricman
Old Aug 13, 2004, 02:23 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2004
236 Posts
done it... been reading a lot, but I'm still a bit confused about how they differ in flights.

Would be happy just to have an opinion from someone who have sevreal of them, or at least know how they compare.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 03:38 PM
Sputnik
Dallas, Texas
Joined Oct 2003
137 Posts
This is just my feedback. I've flown the Corsair, Spitfire, Mustang, and 109 in our flying club. Only the Spitfire is actually mine and I've owned 2 of them and am still flying my 2nd Spitfire.

I like the Spitfire best, I think it's due to the undercamber of the main wing - however it's also because the Spitfire was my own aircraft so I know it was built right. My other reason for liking the spitfire is the engine compartment has a plastic cover that makes it very easy to get to the engine area and work on it. My gripes with the Spitfire are the P!$$ POOR landing gear mount design and the way you need to reinforce the plastic bits on the underside to keep them from popping off all the time. I was able to do so by using fiberglass strips on the plastic bits and I just didn't stick on landing gear.

The Corsair was my number 2 favorite. The gull wings makes it very nice to fly and the big round engine cowl makes sure that there is enough airflow to your motor. My only gripe is that to really make it do well you need to use 2 very small and very light servos and a Y-splitter for the ailerons or rig up a pull/push cable rig (the cable method looks ugly to me).

The Mustang and 109 were both Ok. I guess if I had to pick one I liked better it was the Mustang. They both have VERY deep panel lines which need to be filled in with filler/spackle and you have to be careful with the 109 because the wings are soooo thin. Fiberglass strips do wonders.

So take this for what it's worth. If I had built the other 3 birds I'd be able to give feedback on them better.
wolfhound is offline Find More Posts by wolfhound
Old Aug 13, 2004, 03:44 PM
Sputnik
Dallas, Texas
Joined Oct 2003
137 Posts
ps - Invest in a 2 cell lipoly and a charger if you don't already have them. I don't think I could ever go back to NiMH on these GWS warbirds. Other kits and other companies may differ but these things really do fly best with LiPoly because of the weight you save.
wolfhound is offline Find More Posts by wolfhound
Old Aug 13, 2004, 05:10 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2004
236 Posts
wolfhound, thanks a lot for all your input. I belive I will go for the Spitfire, it is truely an amasing plane (in real life to) and I like it a lot. What you write here make me even more sure.

I will buy lipoly for Spitfire, I'm glad you say 2cell because that what I was thinking. I go for the 1500ma Kokams, and will use them in my newly bought (today) mini helicopter as well.

Again, thanks just what I was looking for!

Anybody else that want to "share"?
Old Aug 13, 2004, 05:54 PM
Joined Sep 2003
190 Posts
I have Spitfire, Mustang, and Corsair. They all have the same bad habit, depending on weight.

If I could only have one it would be the Corsair. It is a lot less fragile, so it will probably last longer. Mine is almost a year old, and I fly it all the time. I use two servo's for the ailerons.

My spitfire is my least favorite. But it's fun also, it's my second one.

ME 109 flies a lot like the Mustang, and the Zero is also a good flier.

Steve
clcombat is offline Find More Posts by clcombat
Old Aug 13, 2004, 06:21 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2004
236 Posts
The Corsair is pretty... (very nice picture by the way)
But I read that it is a bit slower than the other planes, in loops and turns at least?

Do you recomend the 2servo setup? How strong does this servos need to be?
Old Aug 13, 2004, 06:26 PM
Joined Apr 2004
776 Posts
I am just getting into warbirds and have attempted the ME-109, Corsair and Spitfire, in that order. The ME 109 was acceptable, but tip stalled itself to death. I had no luck with the Corsair, it just would not fly. The Spitfire is still a handful, but I have about 3 hours on it now with one crash.

The big difference I think is that I am flying the Spit with lipos, so it weights a good bit less than the others did (12 0z with battery) with the GWS 9.6v. I flew all three on the 350C. You need to reinforce the LG or not use it.

So I would go - 1. Spitfire 2. ME-109 3. Corsair
WolfeWind is offline Find More Posts by WolfeWind
Old Aug 13, 2004, 06:30 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
I have the Spitfire, Messersmidt Bf109 and Zero. I would rate them Spitfire 1st, Zero 2nd and Bf109 third.

clcombat:-
Can you be more specific as to the bad habbit you mention. Other than beig a fast flying and responsive scale model of a Heavy Metal Warbird my I have not found any bad habbits with my Spitfire.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Aug 13, 2004, 06:36 PM
Joined Sep 2003
190 Posts
Thank you,
The Mustang has the fastest roll rate, but other than that I think all of them turn about the same. My Corsair will loop and turn with my Spitfire easily. They all spin, and fast.

I would use the 2 servo setup on the Corsair, (and have) The servos I used are equal to the Pico's. You need to use landing gear to protect them though.

Good luck,

Steve
Old Aug 13, 2004, 06:50 PM
Birmingham Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
969 Posts
My Corsair wouldn't fly on the standard motor until I stuck a 3S1P LiPo in it rated 1500mAh. It flies even better with a Himax 2015-4100 and weighs over 20oz, just don't expect to float in a nice slow landing!

The Mustang should arrive tomorrow and will be built with a brushless motor from the start, plus glassing. It adds weight but the amount of strength it adds is amazing.
Steve990 is offline Find More Posts by Steve990
Old Aug 13, 2004, 07:07 PM
Joined Sep 2003
190 Posts
I do have a brushless in my Corsair now (Himax 2015-5400 w 3s1p) but mine only weighs about 17ozs 's. And lands just fine. It flew fine on the stock 350 "C"gearing and a etec 2s1p. With that setup it only weighs 16 oz.

I think the Mustang at any weight over 16 ozs is a hard to fly. They start tip stalling real bad when there heavy.
Mine weighs 13.5 ozs with a 2s1p and razor 300 and an ounce heaver with a 3s.

But it will fly real slow and three point landings a breeze. Very forgiving at these weights.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 01:10 AM
CA
Joined Aug 2003
377 Posts
I have the ME-109, Corsair, Zero and Spitfire, all with stock 350 motor except the Zero with the stock 300 motor. They all fly fine using 8 cell 730 maH NimH AAA pack on 9070 prop. I'm building the P51 Mustang and I can expect she'll have similar performance.

The Spitfire is my favorite and she can do all the aerobatic trick that I know of easily.

I also have another ME-109 and Corsair with brushless motor using 2S and 3S lipos, there's big performace difference compare with the stock setup.
lini is offline Find More Posts by lini
Old Aug 14, 2004, 01:48 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Apr 2003
3,171 Posts
ai
Quote:
Originally Posted by lini
I have the ME-109, Corsair, Zero and Spitfire, all with stock 350 motor except the Zero with the stock 300 motor. They all fly fine using 8 cell 730 maH NimH AAA pack on 9070 prop. I'm building the P51 Mustang and I can expect she'll have similar performance.

The Spitfire is my favorite and she can do all the aerobatic trick that I know of easily.

I also have another ME-109 and Corsair with brushless motor using 2S and 3S lipos, there's big performace difference compare with the stock setup.
oh yeah, I saw your spitfire could not even make a straight roll
while other folks at bayland did many wonderful aerobatics maneuver
with their zeros, their zeros are way outperfom your spitfire in the sky
of Baylands. Sorry my observation is that
rcguy01 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy01