HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2004, 10:39 AM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
Friday...the 13th!

It's that infamous unlucky day today! I don't really believe in SUperstition but I'll blame anything on anyone (or any day).

I've already got 3 flights in on my GWS Pizza and in a bit, I'll have couple more pizza flights, and possibly a Couple shockflyer go arounds!!

I think I got all my crashing done yesterday though. I cartwheeled my dad's Lazy Bee(no damage) and then got two successful flights on it. Then I flew a Aerobird Extreme, no damage. Nice flying plane though. Then I flew my Pizza. I had horrible slop from causes unknown, and it just showed up in the air. I cam down and broke a prop, so I replaced it with my Ikarus 10.5x5.5 prop, now it flys a LOT better! Then I flipped my Islander on an attempted touch and go, cracked the wing about 2.5 inches from the bolt. Fixed it up and I will paint the epoxy white so you can't tell

So...have any of you or will any of you fly today...on Friday, August, 13th?

Cam
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2004, 10:49 AM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
One thing for sure - Flying in Florida today will be bad luck!
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Old Aug 13, 2004, 11:29 AM
florida
Joined Apr 2004
298 Posts
thats for sure, and i now believe in superstition. see i just flew a plane that i designed myself, and it flew good. but heres the problem, its stuck fiftey feet up in a palm tree . Maybe the hurricane will blow it out. by the way the plane had a brushless motor speed control and a 3 cell apogee pack on it. hope the battery doesnt short or go below voltage up there. do u think my stuff has a chance threw the rain????

ps: im in florida
kombat kid is offline Find More Posts by kombat kid
Old Aug 13, 2004, 12:58 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,249 Posts
maybe it's true

Well, I don't know about you all, but I was out this morning with the EP superstar, went down the runway, airborne about 1 foot and then it went wacky, nosed in, bent the shaft (again), have to put in new motor and try to figure what went wrong. Last flight was ok, time before that great, who knows? Didn't run over any black cats on the way to the field, no ladders around, Hummm????????
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Aug 13, 2004, 01:33 PM
What plane do I need now?
Yorba Linda, CA
Joined Jul 2004
75 Posts
Didn't think about it being Friday the 13th - went out and flew my T-Hawk for the second time - I'm a newbee - did great - well almost, as I floated it into a tree on a landing approach - no damage - only about 10 ft off the ground - got her down ok - next flight went great - third flight - decided to pack it up instead of trying - flag on my antenna was standing at 90 degrees - better safe than sorry for me!

LR
60+Retiree is offline Find More Posts by 60+Retiree
Old Aug 13, 2004, 06:03 PM
Destroyer of Cell's!!!
matfield,tonbridge, kent,england
Joined May 2001
363 Posts
typical friday 13th!!!!! three planes out two casualties.......(mental note don't fly on friday 13th!!!)
nasa
nasa_steve is offline Find More Posts by nasa_steve
Old Aug 13, 2004, 08:07 PM
Joined Feb 2004
132 Posts
A bit off topic

Good thing I'm not a superstitious (sp.?) because today was the first day i got to go up in an ultra light and fly it. Great day.

-John
Airborne 2007 is offline Find More Posts by Airborne 2007
Old Aug 13, 2004, 08:14 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
I stayed home today!!! No flying for me!!! I shot three black cats, and duct-taped all the mirrors against breakage!!! Kept fingers and toes crossed all day!!! All my ladders are safely stored away!!! And I avoided cracks like the plague!!!

Viper
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Aug 13, 2004, 08:24 PM
United States, FL, Starke
Joined Apr 2002
2,259 Posts
Friday the 13th USED to be a lucky day for us. Right now We're waiting to here what sort of damage Hurricane Charley caused on Captiva Island, FL (which was ground zero for the storm's land fall). We own a timeshare out there and have been going there for the last 10 years so we are a little worried.

Dave
Doc Data is offline Find More Posts by Doc Data
Old Aug 14, 2004, 12:35 AM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
i can see it now... "category 4 hurricane strikes on friday the 13th, Coinidence? or not " but today i flew 2 planes without incidence. i didnt really have an "bad luck" at all today. maybe its my lucky day
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 09:37 AM
florida
Joined Apr 2004
298 Posts
im never flying on friday the 13th again. my plane is still in the tree after having over 100mph winds. i am sure that all electronics have been lost
kombat kid is offline Find More Posts by kombat kid
Old Aug 14, 2004, 09:39 AM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat kid
im never flying on friday the 13th again. my plane is still in the tree after having over 100mph winds. i am sure that all electronics have been lost
im sorry to hear that even the 100 mph winds couldnt knock it out then it much be wedge in there quite good. but as soon as u get it down. let all the electronics dry out completely and you might be able to save some of it.
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 01:40 PM
Flies like an...
Joined May 2004
108 Posts
Having just bought a MicroPro TX yesterday and setting it up a bit I grabbed two foamies, a Zero of mine and a TOG Bird Dog that I'm building for my brother.
Headed out to my local park for some flying, the winds were dead calm and the flying was great...until I dorked my brother's plane into a stadium light around 100' up.
Of course it hung up there and there was nothing I could do to get it out.The motor had torn loose in the crash, it was all I had left of the plane, didnt even break a prop. The tail was in free air up there, so servo wiggling wasnt helping. I gave up about 9PM and since it was Friday night, decided to go out and get my mind off the stuck plane.

That didnt work, I kept watching for wind all night, hoping something would blow in and knock the plane down.

After leaving the club LATE last night I decided to drive into the park and check out the plane... there it was, nosed in on the grass like it'd crashed there! I was surprised it'd nosed in so hard, with no motor it should have a seriously aft CG... but oh well!

"Well, now, Friday the 13th isnt so unlucky after all", I was thinking to myself, when I realized that it was 3AM and was now Saturday the 14th!

I'm glad my first 'lost plane' story was also a 'found plane' story...but I still don't know how it came down with no wind.
Vernon is offline Find More Posts by Vernon
Old Aug 14, 2004, 02:51 PM
Formerly of mcba fame
Luxembourg
Joined Apr 2001
3,007 Posts
I flew a total of something like 13 hours on the 13th from Japan to Luxembourg without incident. Around 12 in a new 777-300 and 1 in a Eurojet. Blurgh.

Matthew
Matthew Allen is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Allen
Old Aug 15, 2004, 07:05 PM
CLUB GITMO
Little Rock National Airport
Joined Nov 2003
704 Posts
Five years ago on this month ...This date...830pm I was removing some cookies from the oven for my wife and I...........Then it happened!...DON'T BREATHE!,,,,Cardiac Arrest...A defib, and pacemaker + 135 grand, I am now flying again....
No I don't fly on Friday the 13th...
Sunspot
Sunspot is offline Find More Posts by Sunspot