SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 13, 2004, 12:11 AM
Minneapolis
Joined Feb 2004
698 Posts
Shrike Build Suggestion

The carbon tail boom on the Shrike can produce some nasty slivers back by where the tail pins are glued into place. BE CAREFUL.. When you CA or Epoxy the tail pins in this should tack any fibers that are loose due to the holes being drilled into the boom. If you paint your boom this will also help eliminate this situation.

Another thing I'd suggest doing on the tail boom is wrapping the back 3/4" with thread. The thread can be secured with CA. You want a wrap that looks similar to those used on fishing rods to hold the guides to the rod blank.

The purpose of this thread wrap is to help ward off the potential for the boom splitting aft of the tail pins. This can happen in a particularly bad landing.

Another modeler suggested gluing a three inch long fiberglass, wood or aluminum rod in the back of the boom. I have no doubt that this would work quite well but so will the thread wrap and it will be much lighter.

Now, where are all those Shrike kits that were sold? I've been waiting for some photos and flight reports. Don't let them gather dust under your bench. They don't fly with a darn in the box.

Ed
SkyKing RC is offline Find More Posts by SkyKing RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2004, 01:47 AM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
I've been waiting for someone to come out with either a build thread or a flight report also. I've never seen a shrike and I'd like to see some in flight shots and real world flight reports.

Jeff
Jeff Charlot is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Charlot
Old Aug 16, 2004, 06:38 PM
ACM
slopetrash wannabe
Belly of the Beast/NorCal
Joined Feb 2003
333 Posts
Yeah, what Jeff said
ACM is offline Find More Posts by ACM
Old Aug 16, 2004, 06:48 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
3,027 Posts
Ed,
The Shrike is next up in my "build line" after I finish the Super Tucano Pss ship. I'll take some pics as I build it up. Good point on the carbon fiber, I always wrap booms and even push rods if I think they might take a side load, even if accidently.
Droydx
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Aug 16, 2004, 07:14 PM
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
543 Posts
Hi Ed,

I will either wrap the end with thread or 3/4 oz glass. I bagged One set of fins with 1 oz Kevlar because they were sanded way to thin. They cane out beautiful ad not too much heavier but strong as the dickens. I will be doing the wings tonight and may have one set bagged by the Thursday meeting. I will take some pictures tonight and send them in. I ordered the digital servos but the are temporarily out of stock and I don't think they will make it by next weekend but the wind forecast isn't good for the next week either.

Ib
Ib Jensen is offline Find More Posts by Ib Jensen