HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2002, 01:30 AM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,792 Posts
Can a Marine/RV battery be used in a car?

hi all. my car battery is on it's last leg, and i'm wondering if it would make sense to replace it with a deep cycle marine battery. that way i could charge my flight packs off it, and not worry about discharging it too much. is there any good reason why i shouldn't buy a marine battery for my car?

thanks,
ben
Ben74 is offline Find More Posts by Ben74
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2002, 01:37 AM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,759 Posts
Other than the cost, it'll work fine.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Jan 30, 2002, 06:37 AM
Old Guy
Carver, MA USA
Joined Jun 2000
553 Posts
If you can find one small enough to fit in your vehicle battery compartment. Most Marine batteries I see around here are group 27 and I think car batteries are around group 25. I know my winch/boat battery wouldn't fit into my C-20 Chevy battery tray.
Ron
Ron Cichowski is offline Find More Posts by Ron Cichowski
Old Jan 30, 2002, 08:26 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
Has anyone actually tried this ? I always thought the battery types were optimised for different uses and the deep cycle battery would not crank out the very high amps needed to start a car.

It could just be coincidence but the leisure (deep cycle) battery in my camper always has trouble starting the engine if I ever accidently let the main battery get flat and they're both exactly the same size.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Jan 30, 2002, 09:13 AM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
Here is the best batteries for hard use.
http://www.4unique.com/battery/optima_batteries.htm
I never cared for the deep cycle batteries. I have 5 of the Optima Red Top. Have been using the Optima for 10 years or so. I use them in cars,vans and motorhomes. One lives under the work bench for the chargers.
Found them at "Costco" for around $100. Well worth it.
Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck
Old Jan 30, 2002, 09:20 AM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
As Ron said if you can find one to fit it will work fine. I tried to find one that fit in my older Audi 5000TQ and I had no luck. Marine deep cycle batteries can provide the cranking amps needed to start a car motor. If the battery can crank a diesel it can crank a gas engine.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Jan 30, 2002, 10:33 AM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,792 Posts
costco has a marine battery that will fit in my honda. the label says it can put out 600 cranking amps, and my honda only requires 400. i'll give it a shot. thanks for the opinions.
Old Jan 30, 2002, 10:38 AM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,759 Posts
Ben74:
The size issue mentioned in the other posts might be problem, but I believe Marine/Deep Cycle batteries ae available in different sizes. You may have to look around.
Just be certain that the battery you choose meets the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) requirements of your vehicle.
I'd look at Sears and definitely at Costco, which Chuck mentioned.
Chuck is a master at "frugal" spending and a man to be admired. In other words, like me, he's a cheapskate.
I think your idea is a good one.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Jan 30, 2002, 10:57 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,248 Posts
3 years and still going......

I have a Costco Deep Cycle in my old wagon (whatever brand they sell) and I've been using it for over 3 years now both to Fly with and as the vehicles primary battery. The wagon sits for weeks sometimes unused too and never once had a problem.

I also have the HUGE one of the same brand as myLuggable power source used more for serious flying sessions (all day flying using Lots of 10x2400's....etc). This one hs 2 years old now and never a problem.

I will say though that i bought a charger from Sears that has a Deep Cycle charge mode as well as the normal charge mode.

Alan W
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Jan 30, 2002, 11:38 AM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,792 Posts
if i ever need to charge the marine battery, i figure i can use my supernova hooked up to the PC power supply i have setup in my work area. the manual says it can charge lead-acid batteries. i'll have to see if it does peak detection on them. normal car battery chargers just use an unterminated trickle, right? anyone know what a safe trickle rate is for a Pb battery?

mauilvr, are you from maui? i grew up in kula...
Old Jan 30, 2002, 12:12 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
My car battery charger uses some type of peak detection. When the voltage gets high (over 14, I think) it begins cycling the charger on and off much like an ESC dose.
I guess it is a constant amperage charger. It has settings for 2 and 12 amps and a boost setting of 75 amps.

I got ot from KMart, it's one of the big name charger companies relabled as NASCAR.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Jan 30, 2002, 12:54 PM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,140 Posts
Car/marine/lead acid/gell batteries have no peak when charging. They are charged using a constant voltage, unlike nicads/NiMH, which require a constant current charging method.

The charges will go in to trickle mode when the voltage of the battery nears "full charge", around 14.2V.
MK is offline Find More Posts by MK
Old Jan 30, 2002, 03:08 PM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,248 Posts
From what i was told..... a normal charger wont properly (fully) charge a Marine/deep cycle. Thats why i bought a new one with the "DEEP / Marine" specific setting......that and the local FRIDAY's wanted to hang my old one from their wall it was so dated

Alan W
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Jan 31, 2002, 01:34 AM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,792 Posts
well, i installed the marine battery today, and the car started right up. the battery fit perfectly into the battery bay. so far, so good.