HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2002, 12:19 AM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Wally gliders avail. At wal Mart again.

Finally found them in stock again after months of searching. They were near the Swimming pool stuff. I picked up a smaller Lear Jet type plane and a couple of gliders to mess around with.

A guy at our elec. meet made up a very cool ducted fan version of the Lear that he flew at our meet. He used styro cups for the nacells and two GWS fans I believe.. Get em while they're hot---Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2002, 01:55 AM
cincinati, oh
Joined Jul 2001
199 Posts
I saw them there to

they were 3.99 and they had a bunch. But i really like the look of the Life-like planes. i know that there is a guy on here selling them under the styro jet monicer, but it is a 280 x 2 thing, not edf.....guess the big Q is..just how easy are these to convert to twin edf. Is it as easy as slapping on 2 gws units, and strenthening the wing???
ramw5p is offline Find More Posts by ramw5p
Old Jan 30, 2002, 07:30 AM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
Hey Ram/Rob,

(Couldn't resist the ramrod thing. )

Anyway. Have you seen Ken Hardlock's site? He won 2nd place in the Foamie contest, and does lot's of stuff with the MallWart gliders.

Two of my local Wallyworlds still do not have them.

Take a look: http://www.acesim.com/rc/index.html

Dennis-
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry
Old Jan 30, 2002, 10:22 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Wally world Gliders..

after looking all winter i finally found a whole box of the gliders.. seems they get them in during spring and summer only.. i tried the little lear glider with a 300 in nose flew decent with some reinforcement of wings and doctoring the the horizontal stab and elevator.. alas the winds of change are always blowing and it fell subject to a 20-25 mph gust .... thinking of doing one with EDF if i can ever get LHS to get any .. Hard Locks Web Page .. has some nice conversion tips.. http://www.acesim.com/rc/ .. Good Luck ... Vyceroy
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Jan 30, 2002, 01:59 PM
Berkeley, CA USA
Joined Apr 2001
643 Posts
Re: I saw them there to

Someone already DID convert the Life-Like to twin EDF...GWSs i think, and there is even a video somewhere. The wing should be fine with a little tape, it's the horizontal stab that needs fixed.

Quote:
Originally posted by ramw5p
they were 3.99 and they had a bunch. But i really like the look of the Life-like planes. i know that there is a guy on here selling them under the styro jet monicer, but it is a 280 x 2 thing, not edf.....guess the big Q is..just how easy are these to convert to twin edf. Is it as easy as slapping on 2 gws units, and strenthening the wing???
Mighty Mik is offline Find More Posts by Mighty Mik
Old Jan 31, 2002, 01:20 AM
cincinati, oh
Joined Jul 2001
199 Posts
I saw that i dont think it was a life-like

..i understand the changes needed for the wing....what are the changes needed for the horizontal stab are needed????? i wasnt aware of any??

wish they were available locally..looks like i will have to order through tower.

apreciate the info!
ramw5p is offline Find More Posts by ramw5p
Old Jan 31, 2002, 09:34 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
as far as i have seen none are needed .. but i think i would try to get a little more Verticle Stab .. and on the wing .. i suggest running a Double spar through it for strength check the wally wing page for that procedure... Vyceroy
Old Jan 31, 2002, 10:18 AM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,238 Posts
DRAT! Based on this thread, I got a wild hair and ran to the Wal-Mart 15 miles away. No gliders, dangit! So my search continues.... After making the ZagNutz wing and looking at Hardlock's page I just gotta try this.

I did, however, find something that looked interesting. Air Hoggs has come out with a foam P-40 that runs on their RAID .046 air engine. Anyone tried converting one of those over to R/C e-power?

CenTexFlyer
CenTexFlyer is online now Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Jan 31, 2002, 10:53 AM
Toledo Ohio, USA!
Joined Dec 2001
647 Posts
What size motors? servos? batt? I got one of those type things last year and put a spd 400 motor in it. With a RC car battery flat pack. Didnt have the RC stuff so i just threw it about 3 ft off the ground. and it kind of flew. then the ,motor got pipped out and burned up the pack... Now i have the stuff...HS55 servos, new motor, cell FMA pack. and feather RX. I HAVE to do it again!!! what span was the one that you have? Where is the motor/s? Thank you much! Eric
Gonflyin01 is offline Find More Posts by Gonflyin01
Old Jan 31, 2002, 12:20 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
P-40

nope but i have been trying to find one for months.. still searching.. gonna do it if i can find one ... Vyceroy
Old Jan 31, 2002, 06:30 PM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
Is this the plane you are talking about? I picked it up a few weeks ago, along with a "airliner" glider. How did your friend make his "used styro cups for the nacells" ? I have mangled 3 cups and 1 plate so far, and just making a mess!

At any rate, stopped my NCC1701 project for this because it looks like I have a chance at making it fly.

Any help with the nacelles will be appreciated.

PS: here is the link to the NCC1701:http://216.40.226.212/~admin2/forums...hlight=ncc1701
jah is offline Find More Posts by jah
Old Jan 31, 2002, 06:47 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
that one is the small one.. i put a sp 300 on it and it did well .. the one everyone is talking about is the Sky raider or Sky Rider .. by life like.. Vyceroy
Old Jan 31, 2002, 06:57 PM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,343 Posts
Wally senior!

FANMAN is online now Find More Posts by FANMAN
Old Jan 31, 2002, 06:57 PM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,343 Posts
Wally Junior!

FANMAN is online now Find More Posts by FANMAN
Old Jan 31, 2002, 07:17 PM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
Fanman, WOW!!!
Pretty cool, can you post close up's of the fans. Also any info on how you placed everything, and what you used.
I got the "wally senior" also, the "sky rider".

Oh WOW!!

Now on my to "build" list is:
the cox viper conversion
these two "wally" gliders
the NCC1701
cool little Estes F22

and kits I have waiting:
Herrs 24" Pitts
Guillows Dauntless
EAM S-3
EJF A-10
Flying Styro A-7