HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2002, 11:02 PM
Joined Jan 2002
32 Posts
My first plane....set up ? on Tiger Moth

I just wanted to ask before I did anything......the instructions (if I am reading them correctly) say to "cut the wing joint cover along the cutting lines." Page 6 step 1. And well I dont see any cutting lines but I am pretty sure its telling me to cut the wing in half but I dont know why. I am not doing anything untill I am sure what to do. Please help Thanks
Merlin1977 is offline Find More Posts by Merlin1977
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2002, 11:13 PM
Fish & Fly
Tyler, TX USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,406 Posts
Whoa Merlin. Put..the...scissors...down...NOW.

The wing joint cover is that yellow or white plastic piece that you'll see in the pic at the lower left corner of the page (fig. 10). It holds the dihedral of the lower wing and protects the area where the fuselage attaches.

Many of the Moth pilots here use a bit of ProBond or epoxy to stick the joint cover to the wing instead of the tape (which doesn't always hold well).
DaJudge is offline Find More Posts by DaJudge
Old Jan 29, 2002, 11:23 PM
Joined Jan 2002
32 Posts
That sounds alot better!!! I have read a lot about 5-Min. epoxy so I went down to walmart and picked up some. Its made by devcon ......same stuff right???....since I have already been a total dumbass I thought I might as well ask this now also. Thansk again!!!!!!
Old Jan 29, 2002, 11:30 PM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,403 Posts
On my second Moth

I'm building my second TM right now also. Let me know if you need any help. You can watch mine go together on a thread called Tiger Moth #2. You might get some ideas from things I learned from the first. You are gonna love flying this little airplane as long as you keep it out of the wind!

Devcon 5 minute is excellent. Glad you didn't butcher the wing.

Mike
kansascloud is online now Find More Posts by kansascloud
Old Jan 29, 2002, 11:31 PM
Joined Dec 2001
107 Posts
5min epoxy...is...5min epoxy...which is...5min epoxy...just like...shoes, are shoes, are shoes. Different people make them.

I guess I should add that with epoxy you have 2, yes, 2 bottles that you mix together in equal amounts :-)

~Matt Segal
segal3 is offline Find More Posts by segal3
Old Jan 29, 2002, 11:40 PM
Joined Jan 2002
32 Posts
I guess I should add that with epoxy you have 2, yes, 2 bottles that you mix together

LOL Yeah I do have that part down. I just saw somethng in a hobby shop the other day that was much different looking. I just wanted to be sure before I melted the wing that I almost cut in two. I knew that didnt seem right at all but. This is my first time putting together anything like this so I have to ask a few completly moronic questions....sorry.
Old Jan 29, 2002, 11:40 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
Do you have a Pepboys nearby? They have the best selection of epoxy I have ever seen. They have 60second epoxy that allowed me to build a moth in record time. They even have Titanium epoxy that is rated at like 2300psi.
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
Old Jan 30, 2002, 12:44 AM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
Merlin,
Use as little epoxy as possible. It is heavy, and can add a lot of weight if you are not careful. I used epoxy on my TM but I will use ProBond on my next foam plane. It is lighter and stronger, but it does take longer to dry.

Jeff
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Jan 30, 2002, 07:40 AM
Fish & Fly
Tyler, TX USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,406 Posts
If you're going to go out and buy some adhesive for this plane, go to the hardware section at WalMart and get a bottle of ProBond. It's the best I've seen for strength and lightweight needs, plus it's completely foam safe.

Put a very thin amount on (with a brush or toothpick) because it will expand, especially if you mix a drop of water in with it before applying.
DaJudge is offline Find More Posts by DaJudge