HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2002, 09:08 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,192 Posts
Antenna coil from E-Cubed

Just saw these in Dick Miller's column in Flying Models. 5.25 in long and weigh less than a gram. Gets rid of that nagging trailing antenna. Anyone used these or know anymore about them. Maybe a little pricey at $10.00 ea.
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2002, 09:57 PM
Joined Dec 2001
125 Posts
Azarrtenna

Hi,

Just got a couple of Azarr's ant's. When I ordered them from him I told him that I'm planning to use them on a Sokol that I'm putting together. Bill said he has been flying one on a Sokol his self and had good results. While I don't have any first hand experience with the antenna, I have seen many posts from people using them with no bad reports noted. Like anything else, test them carefully in your installation and you should be o.k. Kinda nice not to have to drag the wire behind.....

Good Luck......

Jeff Leavitt
Jeff Leavitt is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Leavitt
Old Jan 29, 2002, 10:01 PM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,757 Posts
I use them on my GWS R4P receiver and love them.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Jan 30, 2002, 01:06 AM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,272 Posts
I have these antennas and also use them with a GWS 4 ch Rx. No problems or complaints. Useing them with a Futaba Super 8. The range actually went UP on one of my GWS Rx's whan I added one of Azarr's antennas.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Last edited by Kevin Murray; Jan 30, 2002 at 01:08 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2002, 05:58 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,811 Posts
J. Morgan,

There's some more info on my web site. We've now released the "Black Kat" sub micro antenna on 75mhz for ground/water based vehicles.

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jan 30, 2002, 08:33 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2001
141 Posts
Azarr,

Just received my first E-Cubed antenna from Todd's Models. Real cute and I'm anxious to try it. These are a real godsend for the small models. I've been using Deans antennas with very good success, but they are pretty heavy for parkfly/indoor stuff.

I am concerned about the E-Cubed being fragile since the coil wires are not covered.

Question: Can I shrink tube or tape over them to keep from getting the wires kinked? I looked at you web site; perhaps that is what the parkflyer antenna model is?

Rgds,
--Colin--
cbosch_us is offline Find More Posts by cbosch_us
Old Jan 30, 2002, 05:44 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,192 Posts
Thanks guys, That's the info I was hoping to hear.
Azarr, Checked out your website, you'll be hearing from me.
Thanks again. J Morgan
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 31, 2002, 04:47 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cbosch_us
Azarr,

Just received my first E-Cubed antenna from Todd's Models. Real cute and I'm anxious to try it. These are a real godsend for the small models. I've been using Deans antennas with very good success, but they are pretty heavy for parkfly/indoor stuff.

I am concerned about the E-Cubed being fragile since the coil wires are not covered.

Question: Can I shrink tube or tape over them to keep from getting the wires kinked? I looked at you web site; perhaps that is what the parkflyer antenna model is?

Rgds,
--Colin--
Hi Colin,

The only difference between the M72 and the M72-6 is the length of the lead which is part of the tuning. For what they are designed for they are not too fragile. We were worried when we found out some of the glow combat guys were using the M72 series in their planes, the concern being that the constant pounding from the glow engine and the potential in air damage could be catastrophic. We solved that problem with the M72G which has thicker wire and is covered in heat shrink.

The coils are sprayed with lacquer to keep them in place and when used as designed in indoor or park flyers, they work fine as is. You'd be surprised at what minor changes will do to affect the tuning. I would not be comfortable with adding heat shrink without verifying the freq with a scope/signal generator. If you'd be more comfortable with a beefier (read heavier) antenna, the M72G may be what you're looking for.

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jan 31, 2002, 06:48 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,026 Posts
I've been flying mine in a Python for about 2 weeks now, and have been very happy with it. As long as the plane is within about 200 yards all is fine, but after that it starts glitching.

I don't know if the glitching is due to the 200 yards, a power substation, and/or fire department emergency transmitter right there, though. It's the only clear place I can fly at lunch - if I turn around, there is a forest full of balsa magnets that has twice attempted to eat my plane.

Guess I have to find another flying site to answer the glitching question. At least I know where to stay away from at this one site.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor