HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2007, 10:31 AM
Joined Nov 2005
370 Posts
Slick-I played with the RBs and .04 elastic line. The RBs are much more extensible and a lot weaker than the elastic. The RBs would stretch 3 or 4 times their initial length, the line prehaps 1/4. Putting 4 RBs together started to feel like the pull of the line, but still softer. Kind of like comparing the suspension of a Buick to a Ferrari. You would just have to play with it and see what happens.

Dan- interesting observations.
Ray C is offline Find More Posts by Ray C
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2007, 10:42 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,424 Posts
Dan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghappy
...how are your jibs attached and sheeted? Do you have the rubbers too? If so… how critical is your jib in tacking…and have your tried removing the rubber bands to see if it affects performance?

Capt. Slick

What about the above? The brig has just one jib right? Since the PDN has three times that it is possible the performance out of them is a good deal more crucial.

Capt. Slick
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Sep 07, 2007, 11:02 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,373 Posts
I have two jibs - added an additional one per the Petrejus book for appearance.
My jibs are always way too loose as now rigged, but I can still tack just fine. Can also run straight as an arrow at a wide range of points into the wind. Go figure...
I have a way now I think that I can have two jibs with controlled crossover and controlled tension. If it doesn't work, I'll go back to one possibly bigger jib.

All jib connects are solid - no RB's. Sheet tension currently so sloppy it doesn't matter.
Note - on the driver, I bring the sheet thru an eye at the end of the boom and hook it to a quadrupled elastic line that is cleated alongside the boom. It's there more as a heavy duty shock absorber to help minimize breakage or servo damage if the boom is bumped vs being there for sail tension.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Sep 07, 2007, 11:40 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL
Note - on the driver, I bring the sheet thru an eye at the end of the boom and hook it to a quadrupled elastic line that is cleated alongside the boom. It's there more as a heavy duty shock absorber to help minimize breakage or servo damage if the boom is bumped vs being there for sail tension.
My driver boom and sail is huge and it is connected without any rubber shock support. It takes a pretty good beating on some of the tacks, most noteably the ones that go from running to reaching when I don't tighten first. I have had no failures...yet

As for the brig running down wind, square masted ships are known for their ability to do that and are much better at it than other types.

Capt. Slick
Old Sep 07, 2007, 02:56 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,381 Posts
The captain of the "Lawson," the 7 masted schooner, took her to sea. The runs in light air scared the fish oil out of the crew and captain. When the ship rolled, the huge booms would try to come inboard. Even with preventer gear, they were hard to control. If one boom did manage to gybe, it would have likely taken the mast out as it fetched up on the other side. Many of the crew jumped ship at the first port. I'm not even sure if the captain completed the voyage. So, square-rigged ships were safer at sea, in some conditions, than large schooners.

One of the things that struck me as I sailed across the Atlantic on the HMBark Endeavour was how isolated seamen were prior to radios. If something went wrong, you were absolutely on your own (of course that is true today, but at least you might have gotten off a radio or ELB signal to let some passing airliner know someone has a problem). For this reason sea hazards were, in some respects, more of a consideration back then, I think.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Sep 08, 2007, 12:26 PM
Joined Sep 2007
115 Posts
prince

[IMG]

hello

my name is gerald and i live in germany.
i have bought the prince de neufchatel with the hull number 10.
i will test-sail in few weeks.

best regards gerald
Gerald K is offline Find More Posts by Gerald K
Old Sep 08, 2007, 01:29 PM
Joined Aug 2006
363 Posts
Hey, Gerald! Nice to hear from you! There are a few of us building and running SC&H ships, and are getting alot of information from each other on this website about building and sailing these wonderful ships. I am sure you are enjoying your build, and it gets even better when you have a bunch of interested friends on this site to correspond with. Robert (Hoghappy) is an experienced and enthusiastic Prince skipper that is fun to talk to. Have you seen the other SC&H ship build site: Square Rigger kit-18 Gun Brig-of-war of 1797

Happy Sailing! Don
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Old Sep 09, 2007, 07:07 AM
Joined Sep 2007
115 Posts
hello don

thank you !
yes i have see this site too. it is very good.

regards gerald
Old Sep 09, 2007, 10:11 AM
Joined Nov 2005
370 Posts
Good to have you with us Gerald. Hope you find some help here, and look forward to your posts too.
Ray C is offline Find More Posts by Ray C
Old Sep 10, 2007, 08:19 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,424 Posts
Hey Gerald...

...welcome. I'm glad to finally see another PDN builder/sailor.

Please feel free to ask me anything I will help or confuse you any way I can.

Please do post pictures and tell about your build-up experiences and variations from the plans.

Again...welcome!

Capt. Slick
Old Sep 10, 2007, 01:06 PM
Joined Sep 2007
115 Posts
hello

thank you for welcome me, and for the help in my prince projekt.

best regards gerald
Old Sep 11, 2007, 07:46 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,424 Posts
Gerald,

I almost went with that same color scheme but decided that I wanted my gun ports open and that they would show up better if they were on the light color hull. Your ship looks like it is getting very close to her maiden voyage. Please get us some pictures of her when she goes to sea. If I can help with anything let me know.

Capt. Slick
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:43 AM
Joined Sep 2007
115 Posts
hello Capt. Slick

ok, i will send pictures when she goes to sea. i will sail in the next few weeks and when the cold season comes so i make the detail work.

i impatiently and will first-sail so fast i can !

your color scheme is very good and the gunports open looks better, but with close ports i have more desistance to the water.

my scheme is a homage to the real clipper schooner "pride of baltimore" and in the winter i will paint the water-hull green.

how was the real prince painting ?

(please excuse my bad english!)

best regards gerald
Old Sep 11, 2007, 11:50 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,424 Posts
Your English is fine...better than a lot of the people who live here!

Yes…I was in a hurry to get my ship in the water too. I took a lot of short cuts and still have a lot of things to finish and/or redo. Your ship will be more sea worthy and not take on as much water as mine, if any…but the scuppers do there jobs well as I had no water below deck even though the deck was awash. As to the actual color of the Prince…I am not sure. Perhaps it is as I painted mine (per the model instructions), but I am more inclined to believe it would be closer to the color you have yours. I attached one artist’s rendition. I don’t know that the paint would be available to paint her the way I have mine at that time in a war. I’m sure if it was available, it was expensive to use. I would think they would use a tar or oil for the main part of the hull and maybe a stripe as in the painting.

Philip is the expert in all this, and I am sure he researched a great deal before he set out to model these ships. Perhaps he will read this and share some more of his wisdom with us?

Capt. Slick
Old Sep 11, 2007, 01:12 PM
Joined Sep 2007
115 Posts
hello Capt. Slick

i think so too.
this artwork your send is great ! of the pic, the hull is almost black. and i think your theory is right.

but me pleased your color scheme very good and i watch your prince homepage long before i bought my model.
i deliberated long paint the modell as you.

regards gerald