HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2008, 12:03 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,377 Posts
Pirates and privateers were sometimes one and the same, depending on who they were attacking and who they were representing. As long as Prince is operating under American privateering papers, Syren should be safe.
If she misbehaves, we'll catch her in a calm (we have motors, we have!)
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2008, 09:52 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Jul 2007
311 Posts
Haha! Yes, I know the difference, but I usually feel that the skull and X-bones is a full Pirate and a Privateer is a little craftier about how she flies her colors!

Don't worry, the Sloop Providence is coming right along now. Soon now, I'm going to need to start mustering a crew! Then Loydd's of London better take note! The rebel squadron is going to start cruizing for fishing fleets and any other tasty morsel that happens across our path!

Later,
Jason
SloopProvidence is offline Find More Posts by SloopProvidence
Old Mar 24, 2008, 08:59 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
Prince is seen plundering the seas again...arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Here are a couple of pics from Saturdays sail. More pics of the club sail are here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=772876&page=3

I ran the schooner full speed, head on into the stone wall after a wind gust caught me by surprise and I was unable to turn her in time. This is an amazingly strong ship. The only damage was a bent brass dolphin striker (it absorbed the impact) on the sprit and a very small chip in the paint. Philip gets another well done on the design!

The “Prince” did manage to entangle and capture one the Nirvana’s by running her bow sprit through the Nirvana’s back stay rigging and then sent a boarding party to look for booty….ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Capt. Crash
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:10 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,377 Posts
Beautiful wake...

That last shot is great - I'll bet she was really moving along given the appearance of the wake.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:40 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
That was only about half speed!

She was plowing a wave large enough to push water up into her most forward ports when she was really running with the wind! She also had water rolling in the rest of the ports when a gust would take her over hard. Not a drop below deck...the mechanical hatch works perfectly.

Capt. Crash
Old Mar 28, 2008, 04:12 PM
Beware of the cabbage
London, England
Joined Jun 2005
486 Posts
That wake is so graceful! Id love to see pictures of her with water pouring over deck and through the ports!
MeGrimm is offline Find More Posts by MeGrimm
Old Mar 29, 2008, 11:57 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeGrimm
That wake is so graceful! Id love to see pictures of her with water pouring over deck and through the ports!
I believe there are some posted in this thread and maybe the "Brig" thread too....but here are a couple.

Capt. Crash
Old Mar 29, 2008, 07:50 PM
Aging Metalhead
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Nov 2007
53 Posts
Awesome ship, really.
stubobb is offline Find More Posts by stubobb
Old Dec 07, 2008, 08:45 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
New web site for the Prince

I had the unexpected fun of having to move to another web site after the new upgraded version of the "Go Daddy" site I was using trashed my Prince web site. When I tried to do maintenance, all of my pages were cut in half. The site has always been very unfriendly to construct and maintain and very costly. So...that was the last straw; I had most of the information backed to my hard drive so I was able to reconstruct most of it on a free site.

I added a few new things plus the new "Shipyards" page is much better now...with photos to illustrate the construction. Here is the new link:

http://www.orgsites.com/al/americanprivateer/index.html

Fair Winds to ya.

Capt. Crash
Old Dec 07, 2008, 10:00 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,278 Posts
Great site Capt. Crash!!!
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Dec 15, 2008, 09:24 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME
Great site Capt. Crash!!!
Thanks...I have another learning curve with this site. I was going to get the Prince out this weekend but Capt. Sunshine's schedule didn't permit me the time I needed, and I had another new toy to try anyway....hopefully she will be back out again soon.

Crash
Old Apr 06, 2009, 08:21 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
The Commerce Raider left port this weekend to resume duties and a few photos were taken. She sailed great and returned to port without mishap after capturing one vessel and boarding another for inspection.

Crash
Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:50 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
867 Posts
Hoghappy, I am really glad I stumbled on your site. Where is Millbank close to? I might try to make a trip south and try to get up with you on the water. Are you interested? Surprise is really sailing well these days. RG
Paratrooper is online now Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Jul 31, 2009, 08:15 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
Hey Paratrooper...

Millbrook is just north of Montgomery...but I sail in Montgomery. Here is a link to our club and the weekly thread posted here at RCGroups to give you an idea of the pond etc. Lots of pics and now videos.

http://www.orgsites.com/al/montgomer...lub/index.html

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772876

I don't get the Prince out much...maybe every 3 months. It has to be ideal weather conditions before I will risk her in the pond. The biggest problem is the best feature of the pond...the stone wall. It makes it difficult to launch/recover and we have no ramp. The wall is a huge problem if the wind is up and you have to slow the ship down to keep from hitting it. As you know these things are a bear to reach out and catch without breaking something. I already hit the wall head on once when the wind shifted and gusted on me and I was too close to maneuver away...some thing that is quite common at this pond due to it sitting down in a bowl. I like it best when the wind is not out of the North and not blowing the Prince into the wall. When not sailing the Prince that's the best direction due to dead boats blowing back to the captains and not toward the opposite side of the pond which has it's own set of problems...a island, tall reeds etc.

Also...we are not allowed to fish, swim otherwise get on the water, although Capt. Scooter lives near by and has run home to get his kayak a couple times to rescue the tug when it got stranded too.

So that is something you need to consider too...no chase boat.

I also have a good size fleet now and as leader of the club other duties to include rescues, buoy setting/retrieving, and public relations. So...I don't get her out much.

Take a look at the pics and videos and see if you think you can launch here and if you can find your way down here...I will definitely join in fleet exercises.

BTW...I do read the "Brig" thread but don't post ...I don't feel like I have anything left to contribute there and the Prince is not a square rigger anyway. I do post here after the very occasional sail. Thanks for looking and fair winds to ya.

Crash
Old Sep 03, 2009, 06:55 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
867 Posts
Captain Crash--I would love to give it a go one day but after reviewing the posts and looking at the pond, I am afraid my ship is just too big to handle in your situation. I have to launch with a cart which requires something other than the canyon walls almost all the way around. I have sailed her on similar ponds but it was not much fun because just as she finds footing, I have to turn to avoid something or another or the bank. I am spoiled by going to a lake which is several miles long and a half a mile wide and out there I can really sail her.

I just checked map quest and found that we are separated by 465 miles and 8 plus hours driving and from the looks of the pond I would have trouble parking the truck and trailer--Barney Fife might come along and I might be tempted to see if that war I have bottled up might come to the surface and throw him in the lake.

I would love to sail with you though and the boats and ships you guys have appear to be some great vessels to ga ga.

Well, so much for well laid plans. RG
Paratrooper is online now Find More Posts by Paratrooper