HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2004, 02:12 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,452 Posts
Discussion
Prince de Neufchatel, SC&H 1:24 Scale Schooner

Here is a pic I took this last weekend. She got tested in NNE 10-15 mph wind.
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Dec 22, 2009 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Remove old link to site about ship.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2004, 03:03 PM
T-ride!, Co @ 9545' ASL
Joined Jan 2003
739 Posts
That's a great picture! Alex!
RCheroske is offline Find More Posts by RCheroske
Old Aug 12, 2004, 02:48 AM
SLOVENIJA LJUBLJANA
Joined Jul 2004
23 Posts
Very nice and congratulation for your boat and I'am very happy for you from Slovenija.

LP Marko
markotina is offline Find More Posts by markotina
Old Nov 01, 2004, 09:08 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,452 Posts
New Webpage

I just put up a new website at http://www.orgsites.com/al/americanprivateer/index.html to share with everyone. It is a one stop shop for anything/everything I can find on the ship, crew, her namesake, and the scale model of course. Check it out and let me know what ya think.

Robert

PS...I welcome any and all addtional information on this subject you may have...don't be shy!
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Dec 05, 2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: New web site link
Old Oct 18, 2006, 03:59 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,452 Posts
Here is the latest pic.

Good sailing to ya!
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Oct 18, 2006 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Just felt like it...lol
Old Oct 18, 2006, 07:12 PM
The BA
Joined Oct 2006
309 Posts
Dang, I love these SC&H models! The big question is, after spending so much money and time building one, how can you just relax and sail the thing on a public lake?

I was sailing my cheapy Nirvana on Sunday, which impressed some little kids enough to want to throw rocks at it! They were really little and I kept my boat well out of their reach, but I would have been much more nervous sailing an SC&H masterpiece.
GoLikeaFish is offline Find More Posts by GoLikeaFish
Old Oct 18, 2006, 09:55 PM
Skipper
Apex NC
Joined Jun 2006
226 Posts
That's what the cannon are for. Rotten kids.

That is a beautiful boat. You done good.
tallastro is offline Find More Posts by tallastro
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:52 AM
Joined Nov 2005
370 Posts
Hi Robert,
Such a beautiful ship! You have done a great job, I hope my brig turns out as well. I have been refering to your web site for some time. It helped me decide to buy the kit, and has helped with the build too. If we can get enough other people building these, we could all get together each summer and restage Trafalgar! What a sight that would be! SC&H needs to come up with a triple decker next.

I am in the process of painting the hull, but the weather is not cooperating, has turned too cold and windy to paint outside. I must get it done before winter, so I can start the upper work.

Ray C
Ray C is offline Find More Posts by Ray C
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:24 AM
Home of Dorthy and Toto
Joined Jul 2003
7 Posts
Great to see her reefed and in the open water, looks like soo much fun.

Wonderful job.

Scott
scottrc is offline Find More Posts by scottrc
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:29 AM
Home of Dorthy and Toto
Joined Jul 2003
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLikeaFish
I was sailing my cheapy Nirvana on Sunday, which impressed some little kids enough to want to throw rocks at it! They were really little and I kept my boat well out of their reach, but I would have been much more nervous sailing an SC&H masterpiece.

I had something worse happen. About 20 years ago, I was sailing a little Sterling Sunfish around the local pond then all of a sudden it was burried in hail of splashes from the result of a shotgun. a couple of the local kids thought it was cool to blow my boat out of the water with a 12ga.

It sank, I called the sherrif, and they got a few months in detention and lost all rights to firearms until they truned 18. they also paid me back for my boat.

Scott
scottrc is offline Find More Posts by scottrc
Old Oct 19, 2006, 01:29 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray C
Hi Robert,
Such a beautiful ship! You have done a great job, I hope my brig turns out as well. I have been refering to your web site for some time. It helped me decide to buy the kit, and has helped with the build too. If we can get enough other people building these, we could all get together each summer and restage Trafalgar! What a sight that would be! SC&H needs to come up with a triple decker next.

I am in the process of painting the hull, but the weather is not cooperating, has turned too cold and windy to paint outside. I must get it done before winter, so I can start the upper work.

Ray C

Ray...thanks for the kind words. You are doing a much better job than I did. I was in a hurry to sail and now am trying to make her look better. One thing you might want to consider doing before it's too late is the scribing of the bulwarks to give a plank appearance. I didn't have any photos to go bye or I would have done that and the deck plank bolts with a pen. Too late for me... All those new pics Philip added to his site are a great help for those building one of these ships.

One huge problem I have now is weight. Even after drilling thirty 1/2" holes in the ballast plate, she still sits 1/4" below the waterline. All the stuff I added is the cause. I am now thinking about a smaller battery in the hull. Since I don't use the squares much, I really don't need that huge gel cell.

The result of the lighter ballast (about 1.5 lbs) is she rolls more realistically, not as crisp. However, I don't know if she would recover from the sails in the water scenario. She has never rolled that far. The surface tension of the water on the canvas may be too much to overcome. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Another problem is she won't tack through the wind. I tried tightening the sheets till I don't dare tighten any more. I tried her with and without the flying jib and the top mast gaff sail. No help. Philip Roberts thinks it's the additional drag created by the holes in the ballast. I had already considered that, but thought the little additional drag would not be a problem considering all the weight and momentum of this ship. So...I will either plug the holes with dowel or liquid stryro or just tape over them. The addtional bouyancy may also solve my weight problem.

It would be way cool if we could sail together. Who knows....maybe it will happen one day!

Don't eat too many weevils!
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Dec 07, 2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 03:33 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,452 Posts
A couple more action shots.

:d :d :d :d
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Oct 19, 2006 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Cause I can!
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:40 AM
Joined Nov 2005
370 Posts
Robert, thanks for the tips and the great pictures. Scribing the bulwarks sounds like a good idea. What spacing would be appropriate? Did you have the tacking problem before you added so much additional detail?

It is suposed to warm up into the low 70s today, so if the wind doesn't come up, I will be out there putting on the black hull paint. Otherwise I will be out to the pond with my 1m sloop.

Ray C
Ray C is offline Find More Posts by Ray C
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:02 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray C
Robert, thanks for the tips and the great pictures. Scribing the bulwarks sounds like a good idea. What spacing would be appropriate? Did you have the tacking problem before you added so much additional detail?

Ray C
Ray...I would look on the SC&H site for the scribing....I think there is a pic there. No...tacking was not a big deal at first but as I keep drilling the ballast it has slowly gotten worse. I bought some wood dowel to plug the holes and some "crack foam" to try too and will try to find time to work on the Prince. I have to get some house repairs done first.

Robert
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:06 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,452 Posts
BTT (before it gets lost again)