HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2004, 01:04 PM
Engineer...in training
Calgary
Joined Jul 2004
87 Posts
Winter Flying/Snow

I know its still August..but up in here in Calgary we have schizophrenic weather..and I can already feel that summer is over. I am wondering if there is a limit to how cold you fly in and if there is snow how do you guys make your skis? I know there are other threads where pictures of skis are posted but, everything is spread out all over the place thx :d
H a r m l e s s is offline Find More Posts by H a r m l e s s
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2004, 06:47 PM
Red Lake Falls, Minnesota, USA
Joined Jul 2003
152 Posts
I flew in january last year it was about 10 below zero F. so about -5 C. I just belly land it was fine.
red91sit2 is offline Find More Posts by red91sit2
Old Aug 11, 2004, 08:19 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,869 Posts
Couple o' things to remember:

Rechargable batteries don't like cold. If you don't keep them warm, you'll experience greatly reduced flight times. I fly my NiMH packs warm off the charger and I keep my LiPos in a warm pocket until the last minute when I'm flying cold weather and they seem to work fine.

I like flying over fresh powder. It's the perfect time to practice inverted nap of the earth flying without too much fear of busting up a plane. I've dug more than one plane out of a powder drift only to dust it off and toss it back into the air.

I don't get much chance to do that anymore. Here in Southern California, we call precipitation "runoff" the moment it hits the ground.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Aug 11, 2004, 08:39 PM
I fly junk!
Red Lake Falls MN
Joined May 2003
29 Posts
One more thing don't put your receiver or esc somewhere where too much snow can get in them cuz it melts into water and causes problems.
red91sit is offline Find More Posts by red91sit
Old Aug 11, 2004, 09:51 PM
Defender of the Aerobird!
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Dec 2002
394 Posts
What kind of plane do you have??

Here is a thread with instructions on how to make some really cool really cheap skis for your plane. You should be able to adapt these instructions to just about any plane you want.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75788
Mattydiah is online now Find More Posts by Mattydiah
Old Aug 11, 2004, 10:17 PM
Engineer...in training
Calgary
Joined Jul 2004
87 Posts
Hey thx for the info everyone!

red91sit2 heh..so now I know its ok to fly in -5 C weather..but over here we get 20 C below zero and even lower..but I think my hand well freeze before I try any lower than that...has anyone else flown in such temperatures?
Thx PGR for the tips and Mattydiah for the link.

btw I am flying a slow stick 300c
H a r m l e s s is offline Find More Posts by H a r m l e s s
Old Aug 11, 2004, 10:31 PM
Red Lake Falls, Minnesota, USA
Joined Jul 2003
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattydiah
What kind of plane do you have??

Here is a thread with instructions on how to make some really cool really cheap skis for your plane. You should be able to adapt these instructions to just about any plane you want.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75788
I've got a Sky Scooter right now as soon as I can i'm getting a K-mart special glider or something of the sorts. I'm defintly going to put on some ski's though the ros just looks waay too fun.

BTW harmless- I too have tried flying in the super cold weather but after 1 circle of the field my fingers were sooo cold i was afread i would crash so i landed it in the ditch (quite a challenge surprisingly) and left a nice foot long plop mark from the airframe.
red91sit2 is offline Find More Posts by red91sit2
Last edited by red91sit2; Aug 11, 2004 at 10:33 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 11:35 AM
Frequent flyer
Grand Forks, ND
Joined Aug 2002
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by red91sit2
I flew in january last year it was about 10 below zero F. so about -5 C. I just belly land it was fine.

10 below F = -23 degrees C...

I've flown in 10-20 F range, (-12C) anything lower it isn't much fun anyway, hands freeze too quick.

(my glow Sig SE with home made coroplast/wood skiis)

rkramer is offline Find More Posts by rkramer