HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2004, 11:47 AM
McCrory, AR
Joined Aug 2004
10 Posts
What plane would YOU get for your first?

Hello Everyone!

Im new here and am really excited about this group!!!

We have a cropdusting service in Arkansas and I do fly, and would like to get a remote control airplane! However, I am REALLY confused!!

I want a COMPLETE ready to fly plane and remote that is REASONABLY priced! Preferrably a taildragger and something that can be flown indoors!!!

I own a Cessna 140 and would like something similar to that to fly, but figured that I would see what everyone here had to say!

Any suggestions! Oh, and also WHERE is a good place to buy RC planes?

Thanks for your suggestions on a good starter plane AS WELL AS the place to buy it!

Tad
Drrazorback is offline Find More Posts by Drrazorback
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:46 PM
Joined Sep 2003
285 Posts
Well although it amazed me, I have heard some pilots say here that their experience in general aviation did not prepare them for RC planes. The problems tended to be due to the control reversal issue. (When the plane is coming toward you it will turn "left" when you push the stick right.)

If you want to get a scale looking plane that's RTF and is relatively cheap then your best bet is likely to be the Parkzone J-3 Cub. You can get this online as well as at a hobby store. Do a forum search for Parkzone J-3 Cub and you'll find a lot of info about this plane. The biggest drawback is the fact that the radio gear is 27mhz and not highly reusable.

If you think you're likely to get into the hobby you may want to consider biting the bullet and getting a low end expandable 72mhz system. A cheaper 4ch 72mhz radio and a Slow Stick are likely to be a much better long term investment.
MikeTwain is offline Find More Posts by MikeTwain
Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:50 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Quote:
I want a COMPLETE ready to fly plane and remote that is REASONABLY priced! Preferrably a taildragger and something that can be flown indoors!!!
Welcome to eZone!

This limits the choices to less that satisfactory IHMO. What you really want is a GWS slow stick and to purchase a 3 or 4 channel radio with micro components in it. It will be much better for when you are ready to advance. GWS is talking about making this a ready to fly kit (with everything you need) but they don't have it yet.

The GWS slow stick offers features that no other plane can match - it is the best trainer possible. And when you buy a "real" radio system it will work in your next plane also.

We can help you with what to get as well.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2004, 02:33 PM
Parkflyer
Rockville, Maryland
Joined Nov 2003
292 Posts
I would say the airplane that best fits what you want would be the GWS Pico J-3 Cub FD. While its not ready to fly, its easy to fly, a taildragger, similar to a cessna, and can be flown indoors. The Parkzone J-3 cub might be a better bet since it is Ready to Fly (RTF), but it cannot be flown indoors.

Joe
adrive7 is offline Find More Posts by adrive7
Old Aug 11, 2004, 06:47 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
I agree with adrive7. If you want a plane that performs well both indoors and out (in CALM conditions) then the GWS Pico Cub or the GWS Pico Moth if you prefer a biplane would be your best bet. Easy enough to fly that you should be able to learn without an instructor to help. You can get advice for the setup here on the E-Zone.

As far as RTF, well the GWS planes aren´t. But they are however possibly THE best basic trainers available (this includes the SlowStick, but you´d need a fairly large place to fly that indoors). They are also extremely easy to put together, even though the instructions lack somewhat in the translation, you can get help for that here too.

I can see the reason for wanting a RTF plane in a complete package. Usually though there´s a tradeoff in it somewhere. You should be able to have a GWS plane ready to fly in a couple of evenings at the most (I´d say 6-8 hours max).

There´s a tradeoff in getting a slowflyer lke the mentioned GWS planes too though, and that is their inabaility to handle wind. But if you want a plane that flies well indoors and out, your only option as a R/C-plane newbie IS a slowflyer.

Good luck!
Anders O
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude
Old Aug 11, 2004, 09:34 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,189 Posts
Welcome to RC Flying

Here are some planes to consider as first planes. The first two are ARF,
almost ready to fly. You have to do some assembly, buy and add electroncis
and buy a radio. The listed radio is not the best radio, but it is adequate
as a starter.

If you have the money I would recommend a comptuer radio like the Hitec Flash
5X or the Futaba 6EXA as entry level comptuer radios.

Slow Stick - $35 ( can also fly indoors )
http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=GWS1040
Or
Tiger Moth $51 ( can also fly indoors )
http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=GWS1020

Flight pack for either plane - $73
http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=GWS2085

Extra - Larger battery - $16

GWS 12V Peak Charger - can charger from a car cig lighter -
There are cheaper chargers, but this one looks good for this plane and
future - $49
http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=GWS3000

GWS Radio - $35
4 Channel - Make sure you get the same channel on the radio and the flight
pack
http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...sp?prod=GWST4A

Slow Stick $35 + $73 + $16 + $49 + 35 = $208 + Shipping for Slow Stick or $224
for Tiger Moth.

Ready to fly packages - come with everything you need - These would be outdoors only.

Parkzone J-3 Cub
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Det...Number=PKZ1100

Easy Star - Everything you need - $199
This is both a parkflyer and a park glider
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFXV0&P=7

Aerobird Challenger - everythign you need - $150
This is a parkflyer that also glides well
http://www.hobbyzonesports.com/Disco...ID=1289#Page01

T-Hawk - Everything you need $160
A parkflyer that also glides well
http://www.readytoflyfun.com/thawnimwssfm.html

There are lots more choices, If you want a small space electric parkflyer,
the slow Stick
or the Tiger Moth are Excellent choices.

If you have more space, like several soccor fields together, the Easy Star,
T-Hawk and the Aerobird Challenger are good choices. They fly faster and can
handle more wind.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Aug 11, 2004, 09:41 PM
Defender of the Aerobird!
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Dec 2002
394 Posts
Welcome to the boards!! I am going either Friday or Saturday to pick up an Aerobird Challenger. While it is probably too big and too fast to fly indoors it is an excellent training plane and there are many happy Aerobird pilots on this board.

If you really have your heart set on flying indoors, a slowstick is probably your best bet.
Mattydiah is online now Find More Posts by Mattydiah
Old Aug 12, 2004, 03:28 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,476 Posts
the GWS cub is way under powered with the IPS even struggles with the 100C
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Old Aug 12, 2004, 04:46 AM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
I don't know of any RTF indoor taildraggers for beginners. Why taildragger (this is an unusual request)?

An RC plane of any kind is far different to fly than any real plane. The difference is perspective. With a real plane you feel the plane move are alway facing the same direction the plane is flying. With a model plane you are dealing with the model getting farther and farther away plus control inversion when the plane is coming at you.

Flying indoors further complicated the issue because you don't have very long before you run into a wall or something else. I do not suggest trying to learn indoors for this reason unless you have access to a stadium or something equally huge.

There is a hobbytown in Little Rock (501) 223-5155 or you can order online.

I suggest learning on a Slowstick outside $35 for the plane and motor. When you skill is higher take the stuff off the SS and get an IFO (Indoor Flying Object)

If you insist on an RTF you might check out the Slow V.

Who is with me?
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Last edited by lakedude; Aug 12, 2004 at 04:58 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 07:36 AM
Right Head - Wrong Planet
London Luton Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Aug 2004
218 Posts
I once had an R.A.F. Harrier pilot freeze on his first attemt to fly my intermediate trainer. Flying a model is COMPLETELY diferent to flying the real thing. Just as driving an r/c car is nothing like diving a real car. My advice is to forget all that you know about flying and prepare to start from scratch. Find yourself an instructor, or at least someone who can fly and suck up to them to help you. Find a model that is suitable and cheap. Then pray to the God of Balsawood or whoever for some good luck. Learning to fly is not easy, but few things in life can beat the feeling that you get when you successfully land your first solo flight.

There are only three things in life that are certain:
1, Death
2, Taxes
3, You WILL break your first model aeroplane.

So persevere and good luck!
Rabbit Leader is offline Find More Posts by Rabbit Leader
Old Aug 12, 2004, 09:12 AM
Parkflyer
Rockville, Maryland
Joined Nov 2003
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza2003au
no. Maybe your motor is burned out.
adrive7 is offline Find More Posts by adrive7
Old Aug 12, 2004, 10:41 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drrazorback
Hello Everyone!

I own a Cessna 140 and would like something similar to that to fly, but figured that I would see what everyone here had to say!

Any suggestions! Oh, and also WHERE is a good place to buy RC planes?

Tad
OK, RTF are readily availale and some are really tough! Aerobird, T-hawk, Easy Star, all available RTF and all can stand up to a beating and/or can be fixed pretty easily.

Forget the Cessna 140 look alike. You don't need a full scale look allike you need a starter plane. Scale planes are too hard to fix!

Don't try to fly indoors unless you have a huge hanger with nothing in it.

Go outside on a calm day. The three planes above are Rudder/elevator/throttle models that are easy to fly.

Get used to flying from outside the plane. Get used to flying the plane toward you. Get used to having no feel of the plane or what it is doing.

Then you can worry about scale, indoors, etc.

My first plane recommendations are given above. My recommended approach is outlined here.

Oh, and I like electrics for first planes. Light, easy to fly, no motor to tune. Charger, plug, fly!
Old Aug 12, 2004, 11:24 AM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza2003au
Gazza, NO it´s not, and NO it doesn´t! If that is your experience with the GWS Pico Cub then there´s something wrong with either your motor, your setup (too heavy for instance) OR your expectations.

Regarding the issue of beginners flying indoors, well I wouldn´t recomend it for the very first flights while you are getting a feel for this hobby. But I see little problem for an adult in particular to fly indoors after a little experience outdoors.
As a matter of fact, we´ve had TOTAL newbies (as in first flight ever) training in our single basketballcourt indoorsight on several occasions. It´s a bit exciting, and sometimes looks slightly out of control but there´s no real problem if you use a buddychord.

Anders O
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude
Old Aug 12, 2004, 12:35 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroaltitude
Regarding the issue of beginners flying indoors, well I wouldn´t recomend it for the very first flights while you are getting a feel for this hobby. But I see little problem for an adult in particular to fly indoors after a little experience outdoors.
As a matter of fact, we´ve had TOTAL newbies (as in first flight ever) training in our single basketballcourt indoorsight on several occasions. It´s a bit exciting, and sometimes looks slightly out of control but there´s no real problem if you use a buddychord.

Anders O
Totally agree.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 02:27 PM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
Lotsa planes to choose from. I can only speak for the slowstick - which is an outstanding beginner plane. I taught myself and was flying acceptably in maybe 7-10 flights. Very forgiving, and more help available here than for any other plane ever made.

I cant compare to the RTF aerobirds and t-hawks because ive never tried them. Their advantage is the high, rear mounted propeller - which doesnt get damaged when you bonk. Thats also their disadvantage, they are REALLY goofy looking. Sure the Slowstick isnt sexy, but it certainly looks better than the *hawks/*birds.
The Slowsticks' main drawback is that it doesnt like wind more than 5-10 mph. Ive flown in 12mph wind approx, and its a real handful. As a beginner,you should fly ANY plane when its as calm as possible. Morning is best.

After mastering the inexpensive slowstick and getting your mind used to flying remotely, you can easily move on to the GWS Estarter - as i did.
The ES is faster, has ailerons, and looks like a cessna high-wing tail dragger.
It has some minor and easily corrected drawbacks though, but still i love flying it and wouldnt hesitate to recommend it. The GWS Beaver is also a highly regarded trainer, even as a first plane ive heard, though i have no personal experience.

Again, there are many to choose from. I trust aeajr's opinions, so have a look at the planes hes recommended. His "Beginners Bootcamp" thread is mandatory reading material. ...i'll post a link when i find it....
If you are interested in the Slowstick, Private Message me or email direct at vanning AT comcast DOT net. I can suggest what equipment will suit you best depending on your expectations and budget. Piecing together components is confusing for a beginner, but with the right advice you'll end up with superior equipment for only a couple more dollars.

Best of luck, mike
Vanning is offline Find More Posts by Vanning