HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 11, 2004, 05:52 AM
Old Crewchief
fuzzyhead's Avatar
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,260 Posts
T-37 or T-6 Texan II

Looking for kits of the T-37B, if they exist, of any type. It has been the backbone of Air Force pilot training for over 45 years. Also the new T-6A Texan II which is the replacement for the T-37. I work as a civil servant maintaining both of these planes. Would be nice to add one to my personal fleet. Not sure if this is the right forum but got to start somewhere.
Rick,
fuzzyhead is online now Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2004, 10:04 AM
RB
Registered User
Buford GA
Joined Jul 2001
480 Posts
I have always liked the looks of the T37. What I want to know is why are they so loud ????

I don't think a small model would be possible due to the size and location of the exhausts.

RB
RB is offline Find More Posts by RB
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2006, 02:09 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2006
9 Posts
"Tweet"

As explained to all of us who flew or instructed in the "Mighty Tweet" it has to do with the basic design of the engine. As air passes from the compressor section it has to make a sharp bend to get to the turbine section. The compressor section is similar to the intake section on a turbocharger, complete with plate. It's a simple, rugged, and by todays standards extremely inefficient design. The Ratheon T-6 carries 1/2 the fuel and has about 2 times the sortie duration of the T-37.
DKorzun is offline Find More Posts by DKorzun
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2006, 09:19 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Actually they only make the high pitched noise at idle. As I remember it, the reason had to do with the intake design.

But hear one fly over at higher power and you just hear a roar.

And of all the strange things you remember over time, the RPM at 100% power for a Tweet is 21370. I wonder if I could pass a Bold Face Exam?

Laughlin Class 82-01
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2006, 09:20 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Oh, btw UltraFly makes a foamies PC-9, which is the same as the T6A.

I have never seen a Tweet model. Heck, they are hard to find as plastic models.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2006, 04:11 PM
T-37 IP,T-38 IP,F-111 AC
ops32's Avatar
United States, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Jul 2006
131 Posts
Over eight years in Tweets. Would love to have an R/C one. Might try doing a foamie pusher someday... Laughlin 80-03 - FAIPed and was there when Pinecone was! I was in E Flight.
Robert
ops32 is offline Find More Posts by ops32
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2006, 02:36 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
CSI's Avatar
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,977 Posts
Damn...Laughlin 85-08 and I'M STILL HERE! Been away a few times, but always got sucked back. We finally gave up trying to escape and just retired here!!! Living life good teaching T-6 simulators and academics. I actually taught the very last T-37 sim mission just hours before they came in and yanked that last sim out! I thought they might try and yank it with the student and myself still in there...maintenance couldn't wait. I have to say though that the T-6 sims are pretty darn nice but now I have to sit at a stupid console instead of in the cockpit. Oh well, technology.
Typical conversation these days: "Excuse me sir, you'll have to speak louder in my left ear, I'm deaf in the right". Any tweet IP will know what I'm talking about.
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2006, 10:56 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ops32
Over eight years in Tweets. Would love to have an R/C one. Might try doing a foamie pusher someday... Laughlin 80-03 - FAIPed and was there when Pinecone was! I was in E Flight.
Robert
Dude, I must know you. Creed Johnson was my primary IP.

I was a guard guy, headed to A-10s.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2006, 03:13 PM
T-37 IP,T-38 IP,F-111 AC
ops32's Avatar
United States, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Jul 2006
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Dude, I must know you. Creed Johnson was my primary IP.

I was a guard guy, headed to A-10s.
Ah yes... I remember Creed! I'll have to check thru my stuff and see who my studs were back then. I was the flight stan/eval hard-@ss who always gave everyone a bad time!
Robert
ops32 is offline Find More Posts by ops32
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2006, 03:18 PM
T-37 IP,T-38 IP,F-111 AC
ops32's Avatar
United States, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Jul 2006
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI
Damn...Laughlin 85-08 and I'M STILL HERE! Been away a few times, but always got sucked back. We finally gave up trying to escape and just retired here!!! Living life good teaching T-6 simulators and academics. I actually taught the very last T-37 sim mission just hours before they came in and yanked that last sim out! I thought they might try and yank it with the student and myself still in there...maintenance couldn't wait. I have to say though that the T-6 sims are pretty darn nice but now I have to sit at a stupid console instead of in the cockpit. Oh well, technology.
Typical conversation these days: "Excuse me sir, you'll have to speak louder in my left ear, I'm deaf in the right". Any tweet IP will know what I'm talking about.
Ken
I was gone by '85. Went on to Altus, still flying Tweets with the ACE program. Laughlin was our mother-base, though - 47 FTW Det. 2 ACE. I was the AETC Flight Safety rep for the NGT. Spent lots of time on what became the Texan II. Never did get a ride in one, though!
Robert
ops32 is offline Find More Posts by ops32
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2006, 05:16 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Hmm, a stud in my class ended up FAIPing and then at Dyess with the ACE program. He ended up in A-10s later. Kent Johnson.

Stan/eval guys never bothered me. 3 Es on check rides in Tweets.

What's your last name?
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2006, 01:57 PM
T-37 IP,T-38 IP,F-111 AC
ops32's Avatar
United States, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Jul 2006
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Hmm, a stud in my class ended up FAIPing and then at Dyess with the ACE program. He ended up in A-10s later. Kent Johnson.

Stan/eval guys never bothered me. 3 Es on check rides in Tweets.

What's your last name?
I knew Kent. Small world, huh. I was Lt. Sorrels back then.
Robert
ops32 is offline Find More Posts by ops32
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2006, 02:43 PM
Old Crewchief
fuzzyhead's Avatar
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,260 Posts
Seeing how I started this thread, I'll contribute a bit more. The T-37's are just about history. The 17 we have left here at Randolph are scheduled to be Boneyard bound in March 07. That will leave Sheppard and Columbus with the last remaining active duty units. Columbus is already converting to T-6's. Several months ago we sent a T-37 to Luke AFB for a Tuskegee Airmen reunion. Looks good as new. And after all these years and modifications, the rpm at mil is still the same according to the -1. Would still like to find a flyable kit though.
Rick
fuzzyhead is online now Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2006, 07:23 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ops32
I knew Kent. Small world, huh. I was Lt. Sorrels back then.
Robert
Yeah, I remember you. I think we flew together a couple of times. I was known as Lt. Carraway back then.


Yeah it is a small world, and when you get into aviation it gets even smaller.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2006, 07:23 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Agreed, would make a nice flying model.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
T-6 Texan PROACE Scale Fuel Planes 3 Dec 19, 2002 08:26 PM
Hey Doug! Let's see a T-6 Texan!!! CheeseWing Parkflyers 9 Oct 13, 2002 01:51 PM
Another Switchback (T-6A Texan II Sortof) Rod Hart Parkflyers 4 Aug 13, 2002 08:16 PM
T-6 Texan CLARKE Parkflyers 5 Apr 29, 2002 10:49 PM
T-6 Texan?? raythomas Sport Planes 2 Mar 04, 2002 07:15 AM