SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:01 AM
Mexia Izonfia
Monticello, MN
Joined Oct 2003
891 Posts
Discussion
Citabria Pro beta build

I've been flying the wings off the first two prototypes for this little plane all summer. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187169

After some significant design changes, the first kits of laser cut parts for the latest revision of this model have just arrived, and I'm ready to start the beta build.

I ran out of CA last night while repairing the prototypes after abusing them a little too much this weekend, so I'm going to put some inital photos up tonight and hopefully get the full build under way tomorrow.

Here's a shot of the laser cut parts. The two sheets on the right are for the new "airbatic" wing.
MetroGTi is offline Find More Posts by MetroGTi
Last edited by MetroGTi; Oct 01, 2004 at 07:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:03 AM
Mexia Izonfia
Monticello, MN
Joined Oct 2003
891 Posts
Here's a photo of the vacuum formed cowl and wheel pants along with the aluminum landing gear.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:07 AM
Mexia Izonfia
Monticello, MN
Joined Oct 2003
891 Posts
A screen shot of the 3D CAD model
Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:09 AM
Mexia Izonfia
Monticello, MN
Joined Oct 2003
891 Posts
And a couple of shots of the first two prototypes.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:47 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
The parts sure look nice!
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Aug 11, 2004, 01:53 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Feb 2004
235 Posts
I love the Citabria and will follow your thread with keen interest.
If this model is to become available then please let me know how I can get my name on the want to buy list.
jojonz is offline Find More Posts by jojonz
Old Aug 11, 2004, 01:55 AM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Saw the first thread, made me think of borrowing my buddies Balsa USA plans and hightailing it for Kinkos. Now I see KITS! boy am I gonna be in trouble!
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D
Old Aug 11, 2004, 09:36 AM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Nov 2001
3,504 Posts
Beautiful work Joel! I've always loved this plane, so you can count me in for a kit when/if they are ready.

-Mike
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer
Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:42 PM
Departing at 'O' dark 30
Sudbury, Ont. Canada
Joined Feb 2002
1,253 Posts
Sweet!

Oh man...

to many planes.....

gonna have to get a part time job for my wife, her full time one aint gonna pay for all these wonderfull models .
Cass is offline Find More Posts by Cass
Old Aug 12, 2004, 02:23 AM
Mexia Izonfia
Monticello, MN
Joined Oct 2003
891 Posts
Ok, here's what I got done tonight...

The first photo shows most of the fuselage parts after cutting them from the sheets.

The next two shots show the top and bottom of the fuselage, almost complete. I still need to add the carbon fiber wing struts, sheet the forward top of the fuse, mount the landing gear then add the last of the stringers.

Weight of the Fuselage so far: 0.7 oz
Last edited by MetroGTi; Aug 12, 2004 at 02:29 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 03:54 AM
Mexia Izonfia
Monticello, MN
Joined Oct 2003
891 Posts
Just wanted to add a picture of the original Pro. This came from the center spread in the November 1968 Air Progress magazine, in which the Pro was first announced.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 07:46 AM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Joel, did you know the original Pro still exists and is in flying condition? The present owner made a two holer out of it and it's been repainted though and possibly recovered. Can't imagine hauling around two people in it myself at least it's still out there though. Buddy of mine saw it at Oshkosh I think he said, he's the one with the 1/5 Balsa USA kit I mentioned.
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D
Old Aug 12, 2004, 06:57 PM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,387 Posts
Does anyone know the real history about the prototype? Was it made from a standard Citabria with the cabin area removed? It's always been a fav of mine.

MetroGTi, any ideas when it may become available?

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old Aug 13, 2004, 02:07 AM
Mexia Izonfia
Monticello, MN
Joined Oct 2003
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg D
Joel, did you know the original Pro still exists and is in flying condition? The present owner made a two holer out of it and it's been repainted though and possibly recovered. Can't imagine hauling around two people in it myself at least it's still out there though. Buddy of mine saw it at Oshkosh I think he said, he's the one with the 1/5 Balsa USA kit I mentioned.
I'm pretty sure the conversion to two seater was done by the factory. If you look closely at the photo from Air Progress, you can see the outline for the forward compartment door. Also, quoting from the same 1968 Air Progress article: "Although ship shown was set up as a 1-seater, a forward control is in place and there is more than enough space for another seat. A headrest and sliding canopy are to be added to subsequent Pros." The other photos I have show that when the 2-seat conversion was done, the instruments and radios were moved to the forward cockpit. The thing I dislike most about the 2 seat conversion is the switch from the curved windscreen to windscreens made of three flat panels. Especially since they made the forward windscreen so much larger than the rear.

I've got the photo pack from Bob's Aircraft Doc's, and there are enough different photos to indicate that the Pro has probably been repainted at least twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumax
Does anyone know the real history about the prototype? Was it made from a standard Citabria with the cabin area removed?
Quoting the Air Progress article again: "Designated Model 8KCAB, the Pro utilizes the bottom truss structure and tail of the already well known and widely used acro Citabria, but from there on everything is new." Another article I have from 1974 claims the following is true: That the Pro had been hand built, and shortly after it was completed, Champion sold out to Bellanca who decided not to put the plane into production. In march of 1971 the factory where the Pro was built burned to the ground and the plans and specification for the Pro were destroyed. And that Bellanca later donated the Pro to the EAA.

As to when kits will be available, I can't say for sure yet. I've already made a number of minor changes based on the Beta. And I have to get the assembly instructions finished. I will post kit development status updates in this thread.

So anyway...

Not too much visible progress tonight. I put in the latch for the hatch, installed the main struts and the wing mounting plates and spent a lot of time making new templates for the 1/32" balsa top skin.

- Joel
Last edited by MetroGTi; Aug 13, 2004 at 01:24 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 04:25 PM
Rogers, MN. USA
Joined Mar 2003
593 Posts
I'm not quite as far along as Joel, but I do have a good chunk of the fuse done. It's falling right together. I can't imagine how fast the final release will go if the beta is this slick!

Here's a couple of pics of some of the structure to give you an idea how it's built. You can see the holes ready for the IPS sticks (I haven't glued the reinforcements in place yet), and the battery hatch arrangement.

Jim
MondoMor is offline Find More Posts by MondoMor