HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2004, 07:46 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
What paint should be used on balsa sheeting

Whats the best and lightest paint I can use to finish my Balsa sheeted P-51. Or are there some other ways to do this with out adding a whole lot of weight.
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2004, 02:04 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,488 Posts
I'd go for a plastic film such as Solarfilm. Any particular reason why you'd plump for paint?

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Aug 11, 2004, 07:10 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,026 Posts
I prefer filling the grain with light spackling first, then a traditional nitrate/filler mix, then nitrate, then color, then (if gloss preferred) clearcoated. All sprayed and wet-sanded between coats.

It takes a little time, but less than a good film covering.

If you are doing a camo scheme and don't mind a little grain showing, you can do it real light real quick - like these:

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Last edited by AndyKunz; Aug 11, 2004 at 07:14 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 06:08 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Andy what brand of paint and type . Thanks
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
Old Aug 17, 2004, 03:23 AM
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Joined Jun 2002
179 Posts
What paint on balsa sheeting?

Andy, On your post you said, "I prefer filling the grain with light spackling first, then......"

Does the spackling ADHERE to bare balsa? I'll be doing this very soon, BUT hope that it works better than with my experience on using it to repair STYROFOAM! On the styro, the spackling does NOT adhere, curls up onto the back of my applicator (cut from an old credit card). I've tried thinning it with water, beer(!), WBPU, white glue (for strength), RC-56, etc., with no improvement.

Again, does the stuff STICK to the balsa? Also, do you thin it?

Virg.
Virgil Kee is offline Find More Posts by Virgil Kee
Old Aug 21, 2004, 11:57 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,026 Posts
It sticks just fine. Sand it lightly to take off the excess.

You got a PM too.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 21, 2004, 03:00 PM
Jacksonville, IL
Joined Dec 2002
266 Posts
Depending on how thin and weak the balsa is, you can thin spackling with water to a "slurry" solution--one you can brush on, but barely. You will have a thick coat, but you are going to sand it all off anyway, leaving only enough to fill the grain. Then very carefully (I use an airbrush) spray some sort of a dusting coat of primer or clear to "set" the spackling; I find that brushing will lift it our of the grain, defeating the purpose. Rough up a bit with very fine sandpaper (I use 400 wet-or-dry if I have any handy), then paint as thin a color coat as you can. This makes for a pretty lightweight finish. For electrics, I would spray acrylics. Good luck, Dzl
Dzlstunter is offline Find More Posts by Dzlstunter