HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2004, 11:49 AM
Full Throttle and No Regrets!
Denville, New Jersey
Joined Jun 2004
614 Posts
3 Inch Wheels on Superstar EP(HELP)?????????????

He guys, well I have bought 3 inch wheels for my Superstar EP and they are made by DuBro and I bought the ones that are low bounce. First off they are rubber and are a little heavier then the small foamies the plane comes with. Second of all they hole in the hub of the wheel is a little larger then the shaft it fits on. Will weight be an issue at take with stock motor setup and 7 cell Sanyo 3300mah battery. How can I correct the issue of the hole in the hub some type of spacer. Is there a lighter wheel that is 3 inches that I can by instead maybe not a rubber one. Anyway to correct these issues please help....thanks....
MeBluEyz99 is offline Find More Posts by MeBluEyz99
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2004, 12:18 PM
Crazy but Loveable
Lincoln Municipal, Nebraska, United States
Joined May 2004
427 Posts
If you have a drill press, you might epoxy a small disc of aluminum or wooden dowel into the hub and then drill it out to fit the wire gear on your plane.
flyboy2610 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy2610
Old Aug 10, 2004, 03:19 PM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,740 Posts
Great Planes makes pretty lightweight foam wheels that come in 3".
Check Tower Hobbies.
Dubro does have light weight foam ones too.
Foamaholic is offline Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Aug 10, 2004, 03:54 PM
Austin, TX, USA
Joined Feb 2001
415 Posts
I usually use a short length of K&S brass thin-wall tubing as a spacer and bushing. I think they are available in 1/32 diameter increments. Its best to drill for a snug fit of the tubing into the wheel. If you need to, use two pieces, one inside the other.

Most hobby stores carry the brass tubing.
Bob Baker is offline Find More Posts by Bob Baker
Last edited by Bob Baker; Aug 10, 2004 at 03:56 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 04:07 PM
Denville, New Jersey
Joined Jun 2004
614 Posts
I just ordered the lightwaight foam ones made a mistake buying the low bounce rubber ones not realizing the weight difference and where can i get the brass tubing in that size pretty small anyone know......No drill press by the way....
Old Aug 10, 2004, 04:26 PM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,740 Posts
Tower Hobbies sells K&S brass tubing.
Foamaholic is offline Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Aug 11, 2004, 10:25 AM
Denville, New Jersey
Joined Jun 2004
614 Posts
Does anyone know what size tubing would fit into that hub the measurements of the items at tower hobbies are not all standard its like all over the place and I do know mm and inches but when they put that crap into decimal they fry my brain......
Old Aug 14, 2004, 03:51 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,252 Posts
landing gear for ep

MBE,
I bought foam 3" wheels from Dubro, but then I went ahead and made longer gear. At the time I was running a gearbox and a 12X8 prop and needed more ground clearance. Pretty easy actually, just by the piano wire from the lhs and take your time bending it. Oh, and my wheels have holes which are a little large for the gear rod, just toe it in and go for it. Mine rolls fine. Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Aug 14, 2004, 05:32 PM
Colonial Heights, Virginia, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
If you're gonna use K & S product for a wheel to Lg wire bushing, you might as well use their lighter weight aluminum tubing......Usually you can find a size that turns nicely on the Lg wire and also can be fitted into the wheel's hub even if you need to telescope 2 or more sizes of tubing and/ or drill enlarge the wheel's hub hole ....You should also check-out Dave Brown Products "Lite" and "Lectra-Lite" very lite and neat lookin and lot's of diameters sizes wheels .....Nothin beats checkin out bits and pieces at the LHS for hands-on fittings and sorting things out .......kw
KillerWatt is offline Find More Posts by KillerWatt
Old Aug 14, 2004, 07:44 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Wrap the axle with a single strand of wire until the wheel fits loosely, and then solder (tin) the wire to hold it in place.
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot