SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 09, 2004, 03:43 PM
Meh, it'll still fly.
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,157 Posts
Question
Hobbico Quick Field Charger MII - Good or Bad?

Helihobby.com has it for $49.00. Linky
I'm looking for a good NiMH / LiPo charger. Good thing about this one is it can charge 2 packs at once. I've read through a lot of the posts, I just wanted to get some more comments from those who own one before I make a purchase.
Dan_eflyer is offline Find More Posts by Dan_eflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2004, 04:16 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Read the following thread, and see my comments about the MkII in message # 10:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261278
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Aug 09, 2004, 04:20 PM
Meh, it'll still fly.
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hederich
Read the following thread, and see my comments about the MkII in message # 10:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261278
Thanks for the info. I just find it surprising to find a charger for only $50.00 that offers 2 pack charging of NiCad, NiMH and Lipo. Thought it was too good to be true. My local hobby shop said that in order to charge Lipo's I'd have to spend at least $100.00 on a charger!
Dan_eflyer is offline Find More Posts by Dan_eflyer
Old Aug 09, 2004, 04:40 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
The $109 AFI 109 LIPO charger does a complete charge for LIPOs up to 8000 mah
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Aug 09, 2004, 04:56 PM
Lehi, UT
Joined Aug 2004
39 Posts
The MKII is a great charger, I use it for my helis, planes, trucks, etc. It is awesome!! great deal.
oneinnesja is offline Find More Posts by oneinnesja
Old Aug 09, 2004, 06:21 PM
Cudda-Daddy
United States, MO, Gerald
Joined Jun 2004
91 Posts
i use the mkII on ni-cad,ni-mh,and li-pollys and have no complaints.the polly`s are 3s 1320mah thunder pow`s ,i charge them at 1 amp and they dont even get warm but i get plenty of fly time .i have heard others say this charger does not fully peak the cells ,but in my opinion they are trying to justify the extra money they spent on their elite polly specific chargers.
hexonxonx is offline Find More Posts by hexonxonx
Old Aug 09, 2004, 06:32 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
That's right, you don't need to fully charge LIPOs to fly unless you need 1/2 hour flight times, only overheats the LIPO pack for short life anyway
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Aug 10, 2004, 07:34 AM
Kansas
Joined Jul 2002
539 Posts
Dan, mine works great. Watch it for missed peaks on nimhs though.
die fliedermaus is offline Find More Posts by die fliedermaus
Old Aug 10, 2004, 09:15 AM
Smithville, MO
Joined May 2003
147 Posts
Mine works great for nimh,nicad and lipos. The 8 cell limit is small for nimh/nicad, and the 1 amp rate is too slow for lipos in my opinion. I still use the mkII for my xmitter and rcvr batts, and it is easy to use. If I am in a hurry and the astro 109 is already charging something, I will put lipos on the mkII to get them started so I can switch them to the 109 to finish at a higher rate when the larger pack on the 109 is done. This gives me more flying time.
I wish the mkII had the display like the 109 has, but then it wouldn't be a $50 charger.
sheepy is offline Find More Posts by sheepy
Old Aug 10, 2004, 09:33 AM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
The MkII is slower (not necessarily a bad thing) on one large pack than the other chargers (that cost twice as much). The MkII is faster than the others if you have more than one pack to charge, if they are 2000mah or smaller, since you can charge them both at the same time. The smaller the battery, the bigger the advantage. If your packs are much larger than 2000mah, a different charger may be better for you. I have used the MKII exclusively for over a year, but I now have a Astro 109 on order.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Aug 10, 2004, 02:43 PM
Belleville, IL
Joined Mar 2004
137 Posts
I like mine also. I also have a Triton, and us both all the time. I take it with me to the field when I fly. I normally use my Triton to top off my Lipo's if I am at home and have time. On my 2s and 3s 1500, the Triton will usually put in about another 50-75ma that the Mark II did not. I have found that charging NMIH at 2C or greater, that the Mark II sometimes will miss the peak, and the pack will get very hot. Keep the rate under 2C and you will not have a problem. The bottom line is, that if you decide to upgrade later, you will not have thrown $50.00 away on the Mark II

Dale
dwentz is offline Find More Posts by dwentz