SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 09, 2004, 03:22 PM
Mmmm.
Selkirk, Scotland.
Joined Jun 2001
294 Posts
Jet design contest F 101 Voodoo.

Having never designed a model before I might be jumping in at the deep end with this one, but nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.
The F 101 has been a long time favourite of mine, and in the absence of a readily available plan, the only thing left is to make one of my own.

Construction will be depron/balsa/ply, motive power will be Mega 16/15/4 or 5 driving a pusher prop through a driveshaft extension ( may have to cheat a little and extend the tailcone) cells will be Lipos to keep the weight down.

The design process in still in it's infancy i.e still playing with three views, so please bear with me..........I may be some time!
Andy McCowan is offline Find More Posts by Andy McCowan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2004, 03:29 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,603 Posts
Nice subject Andy, go for it. The fun is making something you want, if you dont want it other people might not want it either, it is the thing that drives my creativeness. There will be some great loking planes from this little contest...

Cheers,

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Aug 09, 2004, 05:03 PM
http://www.greenairdesigns.com
Norwich, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2004
886 Posts
Hey andy,
that is one sweet bird!...watched a prog on it the other night!.....you might be onto a winner there!..

please let me know how you get on!

best regards.

Mike.
mjblack is offline Find More Posts by mjblack
Old Aug 09, 2004, 05:08 PM
Mmmm.
Selkirk, Scotland.
Joined Jun 2001
294 Posts
Mike,

Will do, might even be on to you for advice!

BTW, mail me about the Tomcat.
Old Aug 09, 2004, 05:11 PM
http://www.greenairdesigns.com
Norwich, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2004
886 Posts
andy,

LOL...you ask me for advice?....man youve got more experience than me mate!...lol..but if i can help ....more than happy to!

ahh, yes ..tomcat...they went into boxes on sunday!....so realy friend im ready hen you are! lol..sorry forgot..been so busy!..lol

regards.

Mike,
mjblack is offline Find More Posts by mjblack
Old Aug 09, 2004, 06:02 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Great subject to build, this was one of my fav. jets when I was a kid, built lots of models of it. Your best bet is to put a long shaft motor in the tail like Tom Nelson's SU-27 so it clears the elevons. Great Jet!!

Hi Mike, you guys make any progress on the F-22 yet? still patiently waiting here.

Tom - Milwaukee
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Aug 09, 2004, 06:19 PM
Mmmm.
Selkirk, Scotland.
Joined Jun 2001
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCParkflyer
Your best bet is to put a long shaft motor in the tail like Tom Nelson's SU-27 so it clears the elevons.
Tom,
Have you been reading my files?
My initial thoughts are to use an extension shaft from a motor mounted in the fuselage...............somewhere.
Old Aug 09, 2004, 07:09 PM
Flying the Unusual
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
323 Posts
good luck, that was one I considered, nice jet.
kennypinkerton is offline Find More Posts by kennypinkerton
Old Aug 10, 2004, 10:14 AM
NY, NY
Joined Jul 2004
514 Posts
Very nice idea andy.
She should be sweet and should have plenty of lift depending on how you design the bottom.
Love the old Vietnam era jets. May not have been the best pure dogfighters but they sure as hell looked pretty cool.
Tomcat Fan is offline Find More Posts by Tomcat Fan
Old Aug 11, 2004, 04:06 AM
Landkey, Devon, England.
Joined Jul 2003
826 Posts
Hi Andy,

Nice choice, I looked at this as a pusher some time ago.

Because of the high centre line of the tail cone, it may be a problem mounting the motor that high in the fus. I considered running the extension drive shaft out underneath with a small rear bearing support fixed to the underside of the tail cone, this would hardly be noticeable. (just a thought).

I thought about the same on the Harrier with the shaft coming out under the rear puffer boom, but I,ve jumped in at the deep end and I am working on it as my first edf. I have thought about entering it in the comp but I need to get a few idea,s sorted first.

Good luck with the Voodoo anyway

cheers
Ron
Ron Laden is offline Find More Posts by Ron Laden
Last edited by Ron Laden; Aug 11, 2004 at 05:20 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 07:30 AM
Mmmm.
Selkirk, Scotland.
Joined Jun 2001
294 Posts
Many thanks for the positive comments guys.

Ron,
I have been looking long and hard at the driveshaft exit point and came to the same conclusion (I did say in my first post that I might have to cheat a little )

Somehow, sometime, it will all work out I am sure.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 09:35 PM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,614 Posts
416 Squadron

The last time that I was at the Bay of Quinte Jet Rally, I snapped a lot of pictures of the dozen one-oh-wonders parked at the end of the runway -- getting set up for being so much scrap unfortunately.

However, I've got several walk-arounds at various aircraft, including the interception markings.

If you want a walk-around series, let me know via e-mail and I'll try to chase the originals down and scan them in.

Word of warning -- my response to messages may be slow. My parents arrive tomorrow for a short visit before they move to their new house in Huntsville (Ontario). Still a three hour trip but it's by car rather than plane so I ahve more money to spend on hobbies....

Downside to the move is that I'll be passing Weber's Hamburgers twice
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
Old Oct 31, 2004, 01:32 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
How's this comming along?
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram