HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2004, 09:38 AM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,250 Posts
My First ZagNutz - Play By Play Deveopment (& Questions)

You know, I'm pretty sure on the 8th day He created foam.

Anyway, I'm building a ZN "standard" wing today - deviations and more ZN wings will follow . . . here I am cutting the 2nd wing . . . haven't cut meself so far.

I am debating on putting in one of the following:

- twin Speed 300's
- one Speed 400
- one geared Speed 400
- Astro 020

We'll see how things progress - I may not have the choice to use the Speed 400 options (that motor may not arrive today or tommorow).

Question - to mount the motor, I was thinking of having two c/f rods come out the back and using a little foam and nylon tie wraps to attach the motor(s). Using this method, what angle should I use to mount the motor(s)? Should the motor driveshaft be parallel with the surface of the bottom of the wing or should there be some up/down thrust added?

I love the smell of F3 in the morning . . . smells like . . . VICTORY!

Thanks,

Buzz
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2004, 09:41 AM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
I'd start with a neutral thrustline at first. Also due to the size of the ZagNutz, a geard 400 or dual geard 300 might be best. Of course the Astro will do it as well.

Where do you guys always get the foam???????
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
Old Aug 09, 2004, 11:03 AM
Abundantly deficient.......
Orange County, CA
Joined May 2004
723 Posts
Nice Title Photo - backlit, sharp and thoughtfull.
Very cool.

I'm listening....

Mike
CptMike is offline Find More Posts by CptMike
Old Aug 09, 2004, 12:06 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
Joined Dec 1999
4,250 Posts
Quote:
Where do you guys always get the foam???????
Hoe Depot of course - where else? If anyone wants, I can ship them some - it's about $33 (w/tax) plus shipping (4' x 50' bundle).

This is going a little slower than anticipated - have to run errands, answer phone calls, find the cat, blah, blah, blah.

Just noticed the blue, 1 inch foam panel I bought will NOT work with hot glue, nor does is it happy with Goop. Looks like the wing spar/former will have to be epoxied in place as well. No biggie.

I'm using a hacksaw blade to cut the 1" foam pieces - works really great.
Old Aug 09, 2004, 01:24 PM
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
That's what i like to see. Self made foamie with Mayonaise, Salsa and Dixie Crystals.

Where in the Home Depot do you find that stuff? Everytime i ask for foam there, they look at me as if I'm from Mars or something.
Old Aug 09, 2004, 02:35 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
Joined Dec 1999
4,250 Posts
I found this stuff near the "rolled insulation", next aisle over.

I really tried hard to get a "soft" break at the top of the wing, but it came out a little "sharper" than I'd wanted . . . next time it'll be better.

Time for tape.
Old Aug 09, 2004, 02:38 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
Joined Dec 1999
4,250 Posts
Are you sure the twin, direct drive Speed 300's won't work? I don't know if/when my Speed 400 is coming in and I'm a little . . . nervous about puttin the 020 on this thing as I haven't flown in more than 2 years.
Old Aug 09, 2004, 02:44 PM
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
It might work, but it's also a mighty big wing. Not sure if it'll work. You might have to keep the wing very light for that.
Old Aug 09, 2004, 03:11 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,398 Posts
Buzz,

If you can wait on the SP400, use it alone as a DD unit using one of the small Graupner props (Don't forget to reverse it!). You'll need to angle the shaft of the motor up just slightly from the neutral thrust line. If you just can't stand it, then go to the twin 300's, same drill on the angle (just get them both the same!) You really don't need anything as exotic as CF tubes to tie the motor down to. Just use 2mm coro on top and bottom and run zip ties thru both pieces. You got the pink foam, and while it works fine, it tends to be a bit more brittle and harder to work than the blue. Next time, take a heat gun and where the curve of the airfoil begins, heat it and gently roll it, heat it and roll it until you get a nice smooth curve. The sharp break won't come into play into you get into high angles of attack, but who can know what "high" is, right? She'll do just fine, you're on the right track.
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Aug 09, 2004, 05:33 PM
Mat
The ground jumped at it!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2004
399 Posts
would a gws 350c b or c gearing power a zagnutz good?
Why do you need up thrust?
Mat is offline Find More Posts by Mat
Old Aug 09, 2004, 05:50 PM
Abundantly deficient.......
Orange County, CA
Joined May 2004
723 Posts
Pink Foam! Ya. Maybe we shuud call it da "GirlyMan Wing".
CptMike is offline Find More Posts by CptMike
Old Aug 09, 2004, 07:23 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
Joined Dec 1999
4,250 Posts
Still workin' on it . . . sure wish I had some different colored tape. The instructions did not mention 3M-77 spray adhesive, so, I didn't use it. My plan was to make the tape overlap on the bottom of the wing as inconsistent as possible - I think I achieved that very well.

The instructions did not mention adding filamet tape - I just couldn't resist (being an old T-52 person). I plan on flying this thing tomorrow - a party will follow - you're all invited, even the fuselage people.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 03:55 AM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
Joined Dec 1999
4,250 Posts
I have a DXF file with the four possible locations for cutting out the wing from F3. Here's a picture showing one of the four locations with cutting dimensions. I used a t-square and long metal straight edge to cut my wings.

I would like to make a suggestion - for the larger, top piece of the wing, instead of cutting 3/8 larger, I'd suggest cutting 1/2" at the center of the wing, then 1/4" at the outside end of the wing. Also, the next one I'm going to cut will probably have an exaggerated angle cut for the larger, top half of the wing so there will be an overlap at the top of the wing instead of a gap. This way you could trim each overlap for a perfect fit. It seems like having the top halves of the wing "meet" or connect at the top would provide at least some added strength to the wing without adding any weight - besides, it would look a little better, IMO.

Is there a spot here at RC Groups where I can attach the DXF file so folks can download it?

Happy flyin',

Buzz
Old Aug 10, 2004, 08:44 AM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
Joined Dec 1999
4,250 Posts
Okay, now the top of the wing is taped up . . . elevons are on their way.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 09:02 AM
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
Looking good.