Right here...

Glenn
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2004, 01:14 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,389 Posts
The Pete is covered with airspan and a sprayed on coat of thinned sig litecoat. Blue color is polyS acrylic. Very light and the cream colored airspan is perfect for WWI jobs.

Pat
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Aug 19, 2004, 01:23 PM
Designing on the edge
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2001
1,530 Posts
Jim,

Go to www.AerodromeRC.com

Opps, I didn't see m2freighter's link.

Kurt
Bengtson is offline Find More Posts by Bengtson
Last edited by Bengtson; Aug 19, 2004 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old Aug 19, 2004, 06:38 PM
Bristol, UK
Joined Oct 2002
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Daily
Chris

Beautiful bones! What is the all up weight of just the airframe--no motor or electronics?

Pat Daily
Pat, I've just piled it on the scales and can report the following:

Fuz, including cowl and U/C with wheels - 6oz
All wings - 4 5/8 oz

How does that sound?

Pat, your 'Pete' is beautiful, however I've got the litespan in now so that is what I plan to use. I will have to give that stuff a go soon though.

Chris
Goodychrischild is offline Find More Posts by Goodychrischild
Old Aug 19, 2004, 09:44 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,389 Posts
Good job on keeping the weight down--ought to fly nice and slow.

Pat
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Sep 22, 2004, 03:33 PM
Bristol, UK
Joined Oct 2002
630 Posts
Been away on holiday and had some work commitments that have kept me from my Pup for a while, bu I'm back on it now although the jobs now seem to take longer and you have less to show for them, anyway here are a few more progress shots.

The Cabanes are from laser cut 1/8th ply with 1/8th sq balsa stuck to both sides. You can also see I've added some locating pegs in the cowling, I will probably add some magnets in here too.

The side cheeks have been added and the cockpit floor.

I decided to shape the balsa top decking by wetting a little with windex and rolling around some beer cans, probably not absolutely necessary but it seems to have helped in getting everything lined up and in place properly.

More soon....

Chris
Old Sep 22, 2004, 09:54 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
Nice job on the deck. Can't wait to see more pics.
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Sep 27, 2004, 12:07 PM
Bristol, UK
Joined Oct 2002
630 Posts
Thanks Dave,

Deck is now fixed in place, just needs a little filling and sanding here and there. I gave the cockpit innerds a quick slap of brown paint before access was restricted, just to pretty it up a little.

You can also see here that I've been experimenting with a Le Rhone picture to go where the engine should be, needs a little more work and I need to consider the cooling issues too, but the idea seems to have merit

Also picked up a 1/9th pilot that was a close to the 1/8 needed that I could find and I think he'll do fine

Chris
Old Oct 18, 2004, 06:38 AM
Hang gliding rules!
Grebbestad, Sweden
Joined May 2004
111 Posts
Hi,

I've been following this thread and since it's been sort of quiet for a while i just wanted to bump it.

The Pup is such a great looking plane and i think you are doing a fantastic job with it!

Best regards,
Magnus
The_End is offline Find More Posts by The_End
Old Oct 18, 2004, 07:09 AM
Bristol, UK
Joined Oct 2002
630 Posts
Thanks 'The End',

Progress has not been as rapid of late due to work commitments of a new job!

But at least it has helped to pay for all the bits needed to equip the pup!

I am still making progress, the U/C has been put together. The wire struts are bound to the ply frame with dental floss before soaking with CA and then going over the whole whole area where ply meets wire with epoxy resin. Seems to have made a strong unit, time will tell !

Other recent jobs have included some sanding and filling of the fuse/cowling and fitting the servo plates to the lower wings.

I should be starting the coverring any day now.

Cheers
Chris
Old Oct 18, 2004, 08:07 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,463 Posts
Where did you get your pilot from? I'm still looing for one for my DH2. Great looking Pup so far, by the way!
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Oct 21, 2004, 11:34 AM
Bristol, UK
Joined Oct 2002
630 Posts
vonJaerschky,

I got the pilot from Slough Radio Control Models, they seem quite well distributed in the UK, I've seen them in a number of shops and I think you might be able to get them online from SMC but again this is UK and I don't know if they ship overseas? They are made from latex and are quite light.

More progress on the Pup,

The upper wing is now joined and most of the sanding and shaping is done, just have to sand a bit more laser burning away, beginning to wish I'd done this as I went along, too late now and makes for a trick job with a few ribs needing a little repair here and there

I've started the coverring too. I'm using Litespan throughout with Balsaloc and I've started with the tailplane. You can get a nice tight finish if you get it taught before you shrink.

I've added the factory details to the Vertical Stab by working from photos, outlining in pencil and then going over with a fine waterproof marker. The litespan needs a little re-tensioning where the light pen pressure has caused a little sagging, but I don't think it looks too bad

The rudder has been covered in white and the red/blue will be painted on later.

Chris
Old Oct 21, 2004, 11:36 AM
Bristol, UK
Joined Oct 2002
630 Posts
Oh yer,

Anyone got any good Le Rhone photos for me to make a better job of the engine image?

Chris
Old Nov 03, 2004, 07:36 AM
Bristol, UK
Joined Oct 2002
630 Posts
Update time!

I decided to go with Pull-Pull controls on the Pup after consulting with Kurt, although the plans show pushrods. I just like the lightweight and appearance of the wires .

I had to make a few mods to get it to work, firstly I added balsa supports at the exit points within the fuz and then added some thin plastic tube guides. I have also added some new elevator horn supports a bit further outboard again to be nearer to the scale set-up.
Old Nov 03, 2004, 07:39 AM
Bristol, UK
Joined Oct 2002
630 Posts
I've added some scale cooling holes to the underside of the cowl. These still need some more sanding/finishing off, but you get the idea.