HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2001, 11:10 PM
He wasn't always evil
SW Wisconsin
Joined Jul 2001
1,042 Posts
Addicted to R/C Airplanes

I've had my plane since mid-June and I just can't stop flying this thing (Megatech Merlin). My parents pretty much think I've gone insane. On a nice day like today (NO WIND!) I'll go out to my flying field (a huge school playground) a minute away...fly for 10 minutes (only one batt)...come back to the house...charge batt...fly...ect ect.
I'm only 16, but have tons of hobbies (soon to be private pilot...full scale planes) and this a blast. One of my first hobbies not to ware off after the first week (paintball). In fact I sold my paintball gun to buy this plane!

This is a great hobby, almost comparable to full scale flying (nothing tops that), and can't wait to gain more and more experience!

-Thanks guys!
-Brett

check out my hobby webpage @ www.geocites.com/airventure/hobby.html
(more about me on homepage!)
(more stuff on homepage)

[This message has been edited by AirVenture (edited 07-10-2001).]
AirVenture is offline Find More Posts by AirVenture
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2001, 04:29 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
It IS rather addictive.. isn't it. I've only been flying since last fall, but still look forward to it on a daily basis and bum out if it's too windy, rainy, snowy.
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Jul 10, 2001, 05:18 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Brett

You lucky boy!

Get yourself another couple of packs and you'll be set for half an hour's flying- and it will give your pack a chance to relax between charges.

BTW the link to your site appears to be broken (Geocities rather than Geocites?)

cheers

Leccy

leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 10, 2001, 05:46 AM
FL
Joined May 2001
60 Posts
The worst part about this addiction, is that you keep telling yourself this is the last (or only) plane I will ever need. I'm now on my 3rd plane (I started out with gas planes), and I'm soon to buy a 4th. It gets harder and harder to justify to the wife!
Wade is offline Find More Posts by Wade
Old Jul 10, 2001, 07:17 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
I agree!!! It is an addiction. Like pc's to me. I upgrade every year and have been building my own since 1980. Heck, even got a
high speed home network (ATM) that I have 4 pc's attached to. I started flying in May of this year. Still have my firebird xl and still fly it all the time. I bring my batteries to the office to charge and then when I get back home and after dinner, out to the field. And, you can never have enough planes!!!

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Jul 10, 2001, 09:57 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,686 Posts
You have an ATM home network??????? And you fly planes, man you must have a ton of loot!!!

I would like to talk to you about your ATM home network, email me when you get a chance Dave.

Thanks,

Jay soho@speakeasy.org

soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Jul 10, 2001, 10:32 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Funny thing is my batteries are being charged in my truck while Im at work so I can go home and fly, fly, fly. Sorry wife and kids. You once had a Husband and Father. I love aviation, Glow, Electrics, and full scale pilot. I cant get enough.
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
Old Jul 10, 2001, 01:21 PM
He wasn't always evil
SW Wisconsin
Joined Jul 2001
1,042 Posts
Opps...yeah the website address is wrong. I changed it up above now so it should be working.

We're suppose to be putting in a wireless network in our house, but then again thats been awhile ago. Checking Ezone anywhere in the house would be awesome! Maybe send out a reply to some posts in the bathroom! What a world. Well, thanks for the replies guys!

PS..looking for a new battery for my Merlin, but I'd rather not buy them from Megatech, they only offer a lower quality 6V Battery...the one that came with it is 8.4V 7-cell (each cell is an inch long by half an inch wide). Any addvise? Let me know if you need more info to help!

Thanks Again
-Brett
AirVenture is offline Find More Posts by AirVenture
Old Jul 11, 2001, 02:40 PM
crashnburn
n/a Posts
Welcome to the group!!! At least this addiction isn't hazardous to our health . . . except CA fumes, hand-feeding props, threats from the wife, etc.
Old Jul 11, 2001, 11:00 PM
South San Francisco
Joined Jun 2001
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tic:
It IS rather addictive.. isn't it. I've only been flying since last fall, but still look forward to it on a daily basis and bum out if it's too windy, rainy, snowy.
Too windy?! Sounds like you need zagification!
dano is offline Find More Posts by dano