HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2004, 09:35 AM
Joined Jul 2004
6 Posts
Alert
gws war birds vs alpha war birds?

After flying 3 gws war birds, p-51, corsair, and spitfire, and only 1 alpha war bird the new p-51, I won't buy anouthe gws! The gws fly well excerpt for the spit, and the corsair flys great but the alpha p-51 rocks. Not for newbies but very stable, slows well, lands easy, and is very aerobatic. No bad tendicies at all. I'm thinking of anouther with rudder and landing gear. Have other e-zoners had similiar findings? Next time I'll tell you about the carl goldburg new 400 on floats with brushless power.
tweissen is offline Find More Posts by tweissen
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2004, 11:51 AM
Saint Cloud Municipal, Minnesota, United States
Joined May 2004
37 Posts
i'am just starting to fly the gws p-51 and it tip stalls real bad,did you notice any bad habbits with the alfa cause thats my next one.
zippyz-400 is offline Find More Posts by zippyz-400
Old Aug 07, 2004, 02:26 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyz-400
i'am just starting to fly the gws p-51 and it tip stalls real bad,did you notice any bad habbits with the alfa cause thats my next one.
Make sure you have your control throws and cg per instructions... P-51 tip stall usually comes from too much elevator and too much AOA for the speed.

The GWS mustang (I've had two) is my current favorite flyer, even though a pig at 19oz.

Alfas are a whole class up (and FSK a class up from that), but you still gotta build them, set them up and fly them right....

My 'plane from hell' was the GWS zero.. never did get that one to fly right before it got all busted up. Now that I have more experience, I might try another though...
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
Old Aug 07, 2004, 02:36 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
The GWS warbirds are the Top of their Class. No ifs, ands or buts!

The Alfas are in a different class all together. Best made parkflyer warbirds at any price (In my opinion, of course).
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Aug 07, 2004, 03:09 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,536 Posts
i was looking into the alfa warbirds but they are spendy! what are they amde of and why are they so spendy? do thy come with more than just the plane?
brianb10 is offline Find More Posts by brianb10
Old Aug 07, 2004, 03:42 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Alfa's are beautiful birds alright, keep in mind that they are not as tolerant of abuse as the GWS planes. But as planes made to fly and not to crash there is no comparison.

Most of the extra cost is for the preassembly and nice paint job, you basically take it out of the box, install the radio gear and fly it.
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Aug 07, 2004, 04:35 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Apr 2003
3,171 Posts
I agreed with sarge. They are in two different classes.
But I will lost a bit of confident flying Alfa. Why? they
are so pretty and I just do not want to even make
them dirty
rcguy01 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy01
Old Aug 07, 2004, 05:26 PM
Joined Jul 2004
6 Posts
the alpha's may be more money but if it flies instead of crashes it may be less in the long range. the alpha i have has the recommended hobby lobby brushless set up, i launch at 65% power and have the duel rates set at 50% and 75%. the plane climbs at 50 degrees with little control input until power is reduced,flights are 15-20 minutes with a 2 cell 1900 lipo. landings are a breese, slow no hint of a tip stall, every flight a sucess so far (20 or so). the gws 51 needs to be landed at 75% throttle to avoin the tip stall. i look forward to my next alpha and my next gws will not be their war bird

tweissen is offline Find More Posts by tweissen
Old Aug 07, 2004, 05:32 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,536 Posts
what are dual rates? I have a digital radio but dont know what all those things do
brianb10 is offline Find More Posts by brianb10
Old Aug 07, 2004, 06:23 PM
know it all
Miami, Fl
Joined Nov 2003
2,949 Posts
The main thing with the gws warbirs is that they are designed for low speed , nicads and stock power..and its a kit that you have to put together with its many chances to mess up alignment, thrust lines etc... but if you are an experienced builder then you should not have problems.. yes I'm sure a $120 alpha will beat a $30 gws sloper

Also note that the gws kits (except the corsair?) have undercambered wings, this is suitable for light airplanes, but not so good for heavy and brushless setups.. you really are better of with a simmetrical airfoil if you want speed.. undercambered airfoils will pitch up and down as you change power settings.

All that being said, I really love my 13.5 auw GWS me109 with 3s tanics and himax motor.. its a sleek fast plane with no bad habits whatsoever.. lands a slow pace and no tipstall at all.. and its glassed/painted, much tougher than any alpha

Please tell me about the golberg 400!

Herm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweissen
After flying 3 gws war birds, p-51, corsair, and spitfire, and only 1 alpha war bird the new p-51, I won't buy anouthe gws! Next time I'll tell you about the carl goldburg new 400 on floats with brushless power.
hermperez is offline Find More Posts by hermperez
Old Aug 07, 2004, 06:38 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,875 Posts
Ah my favorite debate GWS planes. Firstoff I don't think any of the GWS birds I've seen had undercamber airfoils. My Mustang is semi-symetrical and flies inverted with ease. Second, as someone said, there must be alot of varying pilot and building skills that effect the situation with the GWS birds and thier notorarity. I fly the "notorious tip stalling GWS Mustang" that lands soo slow, with the power off, that I could almost catch it. I could probably enter it in a spot landing competiton with ease. I have damaged it a couple times but that was El Stipido Pilot's fault - not airplane. I've never seen an Alpha plane up close...yet. Can't knock em till I see em I guess. However for under $90 it's pretty hard to beat a tough little GWS for a parkflying warbird replica anyway.
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog
Old Aug 07, 2004, 06:53 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
GWS does, indeed make fine models. In fact, I think they are, in large measure, responsible for elevating the quality of ALL the brands offerings. Most of my GWS warbirds flew respectably well as built. Nice, docile, predictable, relaxing.

The difference that Alfas bring (admitably at considerable expense) is not in the extrodinary good looks. It is how much better they fly under all conditions. They fly better slow, fast, upside-down, and sideways than ANY other parkflyer warbird.

They are more difficult to repair than GWS birds. They are NOT (contrary to popular belief) more fragile. In fact, they are considerably LESS likely to be damaged while flying.

If all this is worth the 300% mark-up in price from GWS, then get an Alfa and enjoy the best made warbirds around.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Aug 07, 2004, 07:30 PM
Banbury,Oxfordshire,UK
Joined May 2002
567 Posts
In RC&M magazine there was an article on the gws tip stall tendences that were reckoned to be caused by those grooves on the wings which could easily be cured by covering with that clear book backing film if you have already painted your model or could fill with spackle at the start of your build. the P-51 was after all smoothed skined anway. I think the designer got well carried away with those deep panel lines. As for my p-51 I've had no problems with the tip stall but would like to put in a more powerful plant at some stage. as for the Alfas I do like the look of there product, certainly more actractive to the eye.

Mark.
althulas is offline Find More Posts by althulas
Old Aug 07, 2004, 07:48 PM
Dive Bomber in Training
Loveland, Colorado, United States
Joined Apr 2004
27 Posts
I think is really easier to make a plane and require people to buy brushless w/ lipo gear. On the other hand it is more difficult to make and sell a plane that runs on cheap motors, batteries and electronics. I was looking at the Hobby Lobby page and saw a few of the videos and thought WOW these planes are awesome, then I saw the $300 of stuff that you would have to buy......

I don't think you can compare these. It is like comparing a ferrari to a Neon Turbo. Both are good for their class. I guess you could compare having ONE Alpha plane to THREE GWS planes....
Bonsai Master is offline Find More Posts by Bonsai Master
Old Aug 07, 2004, 09:01 PM
know it all
Miami, Fl
Joined Nov 2003
2,949 Posts
look again, put a straight edge on the bottom of the airfoil.. actually I dont have a p51 kit but all the other ones do.. and you are right about the p51, not a difficult flyer at all.

Herm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepdog
Firstoff I don't think any of the GWS birds I've seen had undercamber airfoils. My Mustang is semi-symetrical and flies inverted with ease.
hermperez is offline Find More Posts by hermperez