HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2002, 04:51 PM
SF Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2002
29 Posts
Interested in starting with e-helis, need advice

Hello All,

I've lost all my flying fields for gas powered models, so I am thinking of getting an electric heli or perhaps converting my Raptor30.

I would like to have something with performance close to that of my Raptor, meaning I would like to have a heli with a decent pitch range (-9, 9) and decent power.

I've been looking around the web for info, and it looks like the Logo20 may be the way to go. Does this particular heli have about the same amount of slop-free pitch as a Raptor30? I've seen people recommending setups of (-4, 9) for one of these birds, but is it capable of more?

Secondly, what motor/controller combination is the best. I've been thinking of the pletenberg/schulze combo, but I can't find a US distributor. Do I need to order these from germany?

And lastly, given that I don't know very much about rechargeable battery technology, I need some battery advice. NiMH have nice capacity/weight ratios, but can they push enough juice to fly the Logo? Will placing them in a logo push them so close to their maximum that they will wear out fast?

A logo20 is an expensive proposition, so is it realistic to perhaps convert a raptor to electric power? could I expect similar flight times to a logo, or is the raptor just too heavy?

Thanks a lot for any advice,
-- Marcin
mromaszewicz is offline Find More Posts by mromaszewicz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2002, 05:32 PM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey

Hi , if you like tinkering you can convert the rappy into electric , but it will be heavy , they have a e raptor dont they ? but anyway , if you want a heli that can compair to the rappy , the logo 10 at this place will do the trick , http://www.eflightpacks.com/
you can get your batteries there also , 12 to 14 cell will do you fine , the motor to get is the 600 18 or just tell Tony that you want it hopped up to do 3 D and if you want to know more about the logo , this is the other place to find out more http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mikado...yguid=65800794
its new but there is people talking sometimes , but mostly here at ezone , the logo 20 is a 46 size heli , which is great but costly too , and then if you have the cash get the joker , this is the badest on the market , """they say""" http://www.minicopter.de/de/joker.html
they have some small clips in the site too , I think 4 or #5 has some good blade popping going on, too sounds great ,
I was going to tell you to get the Voyager , but it requires alot of hopup parts to get it to out drag the rappy

The batteries , in the last few years they have went a long way , it like this , lets say you have a ep concept , 7 to 8 cell heli , you try 6 cells and the motor will pull to many amps and your batteries will genarate alot of heat and wear out quickly with the stock pinion , 7 cells better , 8 cells real good but then you have to get the gearing right too , start changing pinion . be back in a few
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo
Old Jan 28, 2002, 07:34 PM
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
Joined Feb 2000
2,545 Posts
Welcome. Do a search on all the electric helis and you will find tons of info and opinions on about everything. As far as converting a IC heli to electric, you would be better off buying something designed from the ground up to be electric. Also, you can utillize the forums here and learn from others. Especially with brushless setups, experimenting can be very expensive.
JIMJAM is offline Find More Posts by JIMJAM
Old Jan 29, 2002, 12:53 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
Logo 10 or Voyager

One of these will serve you well, and the Logo 10 is about the same size as the Rappy.

Where do you live? I have both of them.

EFlightpacks will treat you good!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jan 29, 2002, 04:10 PM
SF Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2002
29 Posts
Logo20 vs Logo10

Thanks for all the replies. Where do you fly Mr. Bronk? I live in Mountain View, so perhaps I could drive out to your flying site and see you fly your electric birds.

Now as for the logo10 vs the logo20.

Are both these helis capable of 3D? I don't mean loops and rolls but do they have enough negative pitch for inverted climbouts with the same power as right side up? Can I run them off NiMH for longer flight times when I'm not doing aggressive 3D?

Since brushless is so expensive, what motor/esc combo would you guys recommend for each heli? I was reading that a plettenberg (sp?) motor with a schulze heli specific esc is a very nice combo for the logo20, but I haven't been able to find where to buy this beastie. In either case, it looks like I have to live off water and rice for a while to afford one of these

Thanks,
-- Marcin
mromaszewicz is offline Find More Posts by mromaszewicz
Old Jan 29, 2002, 07:22 PM
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey

here take a look at the logo in action , thats the first heli , the second one is the Joker , this is a big movie file , 12.784KB but it is wellWORTH it , Tony
http://www.mjustus.rc-modellflug.net/rm/melleacro.rm
Old Jan 29, 2002, 07:54 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,531 Posts
Brushless combo is not really that expensive when you consider the cost of a glow engine, pipe/muffler, speed governor, and a servo. Yes you have to include speed governor because heli brushless ESCs has them built in.

Not to mention the brushless motors don't wear out like the glow engines do.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Jan 29, 2002, 08:33 PM
Nashua N.H.
Joined Jan 2002
19 Posts
Subj: Re: ele motors

Subj: Re: ele motors
Date: 1/24/2002
> plettenberg 300/25/a3 Heli ==> 255.00 U$
> schulze 35ho and how much ==> 189.00U$
> kontronik tango 45/08 ==> 289.00U$
> 3slh-14-32 ==> superseeded by the Beat 35-8-30, no price yet
ICARE
www.icare-rc.com

1(450)449-9094

bob.
harley-y2k is offline Find More Posts by harley-y2k
Old Jan 29, 2002, 09:28 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,569 Posts
Hey misskimo(Tony?)! That video rocks!
e-sailpilot86 is offline Find More Posts by e-sailpilot86
Old Jan 29, 2002, 09:40 PM
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
it does , dont it ?

man I wish I could just hover upside down , and I will have that joker in the next few months , I need something that can do stationary flips like that , because 9 months out of the year Im flying in the gym here at work in Alaska , cant wait till spring time , june , damn thats a long time from now july in summer, aug. is fall ,and the rest is winter , Tony
Old Jan 29, 2002, 09:57 PM
Elder Freak
Dallas Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2001
444 Posts
Logo 10 Pitch Range

Hi mromaszewicz, welcome!

You asked about the pitch range of the Logo 10. According to the manual the range is -11 to +12 with the 120 degree CCPM configuration. I don't know what the range is with the 90 degree configuration. I just ordered a Logo 10 as my first helicopter, I've never flown 3D, but have seen many videos and local flyers doing it. I've seen the Logo 10 3D videos and it looks at least as capable as the Raptor. Some of the things I saw in the Logo video I haven't even seen done with an beefed up X-Cell 60 locally! (Of course that could be the pilot...)

Anyway, hope this answeres your question.

Chad
Phoenix-IT is offline Find More Posts by Phoenix-IT
Old Jan 30, 2002, 08:20 AM
No "R" !!!!!!!
Where Spacemen Live (TX)
Joined Jan 2000
1,098 Posts
Re: Interested in starting with e-helis, need advice

Quote:
Originally posted by mromaszewicz
Hello All,

I've been looking around the web for info, and it looks like the Logo20 may be the way to go. Does this particular heli have about the same amount of slop-free pitch as a Raptor30? I've seen people recommending setups of (-4, 9) for one of these birds, but is it capable of more?
I'm surprised no Logo20 fliers have responded yet, so I will. I fly a Logo20. The pitch range is very good, I could probably get something like +/- 12 if I wanted to. I currently have about -9, +12

Quote:
And lastly, given that I don't know very much about rechargeable battery technology, I need some battery advice. NiMH have nice capacity/weight ratios, but can they push enough juice to fly the Logo? Will placing them in a logo push them so close to their maximum that they will wear out fast?
As a general rule, you are better off with Nicads for high performance flying. There is a new HV NiMH people are talking about, but that is "bleeding" edge stuff right now.

Quote:
A logo20 is an expensive proposition, so is it realistic to perhaps convert a raptor to electric power? could I expect similar flight times to a logo, or is the raptor just too heavy?

Thanks a lot for any advice,
-- Marcin
It is realistic to convert a Raptor to electric, but it is not realistic that it will have anywhere near the performance of a Logo20. Plus, the Logo is a bit larger.
Fitz Walker is online now Find More Posts by Fitz Walker