HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2004, 02:00 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
What is the best way to test a plane when alone.

I need to make some throttle adjustments to a plane, but being that it is a foam plane I don't have a way to secure it unless someone else holds it. Do you guys have any types of rigging to test an assembled plane without pulling the motor system out of it?

I was told to lower the epa of the throttle so it is smoother. Right now when I throttle up the plane has a soft start and then pops what looks like into a 2nd gear. When it hits the higher rpms it makes the plane uncontrollable and dangerous.

The setup is as follows:
GWS Beaver
Futaba T7CAP
E-Flite Park 370-4100kv motor
Hacker Master Car Mini controller (setup in forward only with break)
3s Etec1200HP
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2004, 03:49 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Copule of lengths of water pipe rammed in the ground and covered in pipe foam insulation?

Then just put the model between and let the wing bear on the foam insulation?
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Aug 06, 2004, 04:20 AM
London,England UK.
Joined Jul 2004
164 Posts
Try a black and decker workbench with some pieces of foam wedged under the u/c,then slot whole assembly between the jaws-tighten just enough to stop model moving-works well with my 3dx and 3s packs!!.
lipolenny is offline Find More Posts by lipolenny
Old Aug 06, 2004, 06:55 AM
Wayward Pilot
USA, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Sep 2001
826 Posts
How about taking a foot long piece of 2x6 or 2x8 lumber, drill two straight holes half way into it 4" apart, then push two new #2 pencils into the holes. Put the fuse between the pencils so they capture the leading edge of the tail. You can also use it to check CG by balancing the wing on the eraser heads.
JREEVES is offline Find More Posts by JREEVES
Old Aug 06, 2004, 03:31 PM
Superhero, Third Class
Carson City, NV
Joined Nov 2000
888 Posts
I used a couple of bricks with some padding on them, one in front of each stab panel. That's assuming your plane has an undercarriage.

Jeff
astroboy is offline Find More Posts by astroboy
Old Aug 06, 2004, 04:04 PM
Zen Flying Master
Sweetwater, TN
Joined Sep 2002
829 Posts
If you're out in the field, I've put the back of the fuse between my legs so that the tail is against my ankles and that holds it...otherwise, 2 strong sticks solidly in the ground would do the same thing. (P.S. Don't do this at home unless you're sure nobody nor any animals will come to check on the noise)

All of the ways so far discussed work just fine as well, and you could also consider small piece of ply (maybe 1/2") with a line of holes drilled in it to stick dowels in. That way you could space the dowels based on the plane.

Last but not least, tie a string around the fuse or tail (make sure you take precautions so that it doesn't cut in) and tie off to something solid.
AUBrian is offline Find More Posts by AUBrian
Old Aug 08, 2004, 12:21 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Thank a lot guys. I'll use some of these great ideas for more than just testing out the esc. I need to test out thrust as well, and using a digital fish scale inline to the tie off idea will flip the bill nicely.
Old Aug 08, 2004, 07:44 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTEOR
.. I need to test out thrust as well ...
Why?
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Aug 08, 2004, 08:07 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,588 Posts
Andy's question is a good one, because static thrust tests aren't going to tell you what your dynamic thust will be at the speed your plane becomes "uncontrollable and dangerous".

Perhaps the most important element in your setup is missing here: What prop are you using?

As a matter of fact, if the prop is relatively high-pitched in relation to its length, it may stall during a static test and measure low in thrust, but exhibit high thrust at the speed you plane gets in trouble. A flatter prop would test higher in static thrust, but lower at speed. Try a flatter prop.

- RD
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
Old Aug 08, 2004, 10:05 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Ok, I will try that, I didn't realize there would be a difference in thrust like that on a test bench.

Right now I am using D gearing and 1080 prop, I'll drop down to a 1047. Should I try a even larger prop like a 1147?

The plane was really unstable, atleast I didn't hurt anyone and/or crash it. I did land it far enough away from everyone so no one had to worry about anything there. Talk about rocket, I thought those Park motor were going to have a little less pep over a HiMaxx.