SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 05, 2004, 04:21 PM
Sweden
Joined Apr 2004
119 Posts
Futaba 7C vs. Hitech Eclips 7

I'm gooing to treat my self to a new radio!
The big question now is wich to get, I have it down to either the futaba 7C or the hitec eclips 7
Looks wise i perfer the 7C over the slightly hedgehoggy eclips

Im gooing to use it for fixed wings as well as helis.

so what do you all think?

// Claes
Trekki is offline Find More Posts by Trekki
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2004, 04:46 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Let me confuse you more - have you thought about the Airtronics RD8000? It can shift select so all your Hitec/futaba stuff will work fine. I sure like mine!

I too had this decision a month or so ago. I looked at the 7c - very nice and looked at the specs for the Optic 6 (hitec). I liked both of them. I wished the optic 6 had been out, but it wasn't. After all was said and done I went with the Airtronics RD8000. Read about it here:

http://www.airtronics.net/RD8000.htm

Found the tX only for $135 - a great deal!

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2004, 05:56 PM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,603 Posts
There are some good deals on Eclipse 7's on Ebay and here and elsewhere. I found one like new in excellent shape with Spectra for cheap. Also one for a friend. Neither of these radios handles dual elevator except thru Y. Just wanted to note that because that is the criticism of a lot of Futaba guys regarding the Eclipse. Futaba felt that it wasn't important on a lower cost radio and says so. Eclipse has shift select for the chance to buy cheaper receivers whenever they come up and disregard shift. Eclipse has the flexibility of the Spectra module, if you choose to buy one some day.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Aug 05, 2004, 06:26 PM
Sweden
Joined Apr 2004
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you
Let me confuse you more - have you thought about the Airtronics RD8000?
the thing is (I should have said this from the get go i guess) I live in europe, (sweden to be more precise) and we use the 35Mhz band over here so ebay and US sites are not an option (sadly)
Airtronics is called sanwa here in sweden (and i think its called sanwa in the rest of europe aswell.)
I'll take a look at it. thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60
There are some good deals on Eclipse 7's on Ebay and here and elsewhere. I found one like new in excellent shape with Spectra for cheap.
whats Spectra? guess ive been away from the market too long

Quote:
Eclipse has shift select for the chance to buy cheaper receivers whenever they come up and disregard shift.
shift select?, (i feel like a moron) you mean that i can only use Futaba recivers with the futaba 7C?

I wonder if there arn't different versions beeing sold in Europe/USA
sometimes electronic manufacturers use the same product code/name but with different functions/features...

I really need to check this out futher.
Old Aug 06, 2004, 02:38 AM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,603 Posts
You didn't indicate location so we didn't know. I believe positive shift is all that is used in Europe and all of the world except North America, so you don't need to worry about that. No, you should be able to use any positive shift receiver I imagine with the Futaba built for Europe.
Spectra is the 72Mhz or 75Mhz that gives the ability to dial in any channel to transmit on, but I believe is not available for 35Mhz, so you don't have to worry about that either.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Aug 06, 2004, 06:31 AM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
In the US there are a lot of aftermarket recievers available on negative shift. Not being shift selectable does not prevent us from buying other brand then Futaba cheaper recievers.

I personally do not like the Eclipse. I did own one for a little while. I have not seen anything regarding the 7c except for a few reviews here. I would go for the 7c as opposed to the Eclipse. I currently own a 9c. The 7c has most of the acro mode features of the 9c so if I didn't like gliders it would probably have suited me okay.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Aug 07, 2004, 05:48 PM
Sweden
Joined Apr 2004
119 Posts
my bad...

Quote:
You didn't indicate location so we didn't know.
No i didnt, sorry i realised that to late, but thanks clearing the "shift" and "spectra" questions up. I found the users manual (a swedish version) and it sounds like it (the 7C) has everything i want. And I also read that it is compatible with all 35Mhz PPM recivers as well as all 1024 PCM recivers.

I have a glider aswell but the 7c will cover my needs for that aswell. the 9C is a bit to pricy for my taste.

thanks everyone for answering my questions.
// Claes
Old Aug 08, 2004, 12:00 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekki
I'm gooing to treat my self to a new radio!
The big question now is wich to get, I have it down to either the futaba 7C or the hitec eclips 7
Looks wise i perfer the 7C over the slightly hedgehoggy eclips

Im gooing to use it for fixed wings as well as helis.

so what do you all think?

// Claes
What kind of planes do you plan to fly?
3 channel parkies?

4 Channel planes?

Sailplanes?

Any of them using flaps?

How about 4 servos in the wing? This is a big differentiator between radios
Eclipse can handle 4 servo wings. 7C can't

However the Futaba 9C is a LOT better at everything except for shift select. Negative shift only.
Handles 4 servo wings
Handles dual servo elevator
you name it, it does it

Channel synt due out in fall.

I just bought one. Love it! Setting up 14 planes, infinately expandable memory will be helpful.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr