HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2004, 08:58 PM
United States, GA, Dublin
Joined Feb 2004
314 Posts
Spinner for Hangar 9, 60 sized P-51

When I bought my original P-51, I got a spinner with it from the seller. I dont know what brand it is, but evidently it was damaged in the first plane's crash. The screw and the back plate are bent/warped. I fiddled with the screw and pretty much got it almost perfect, but the back plate is continuously wiggling back and forth when you spin the motor.

What brand spinner would be a good choice to buy? I have replaced everything else up front to stop the vibration, so I will replace the spinner itself as well.

Suggestions please. Side note....The spinner back plate's shaft opening is slightly larger than the largest area of my prop adapter. Is that normal? Should I add some filler in there, like wrapping it with a layer of electrical tape to snug it up?

I need a 3 &1/2 inch spinner for this size plane...

Thanks in advance.

Longarm
Longarm is offline Find More Posts by Longarm
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2004, 11:34 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,158 Posts
Longarm

I used the, CBA Tatone Spinner, 3-1/2" P51 RED, . Just make sure you get the right adapter for your prop shaft. Spinner is 17.50 at tower hobbies.

The CBA spinner comes with little plastic adapters to get a good fit.

If you need to take up some slop what I do is use small pieces of brass tubing. Usually they can be nested inside each other to fit perfectly.

Hope this helps

- Ken
Ken Lapointe is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Aug 05, 2004, 02:50 PM
O'Fallon, MO USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,415 Posts
Longarm,
I got one of the CB Assoc. spinners with my H9 P-51, but I have never used it. (I have a True Turn on it now.) Let me know if you'd like to buy it for less than the tower price.

Brad
byoung is online now Find More Posts by byoung
Last edited by byoung; Aug 05, 2004 at 02:56 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2004, 08:08 AM
Joined Feb 2004
314 Posts
Brad, I appreciate the offer, but I went to my LHS yesterday and bought an aluminum spinner from them. I am only going to use the back plate from it and will use my original red spinner. It fits nicely and snugs up real good.

The replacement back plate weighs 6 grams heavier than the original spinner back plate. I think I am going to drill some holes in it to lighten it up to get it as close to the other spinner as possible.

That may sound anal, but I dont want to add 1/4 ounce behind the balance point to get the CG correct. That would add 1/2 ounce total.

By the way.......your P-51 is a beauty...........what is your setup in her? Motor, battery, speed control, AUW, and flight time from your setup?

Longarm
Last edited by Longarm; Aug 06, 2004 at 08:10 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2004, 08:53 AM
O'Fallon, MO USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,415 Posts
Longarm,
Mine was originally converted by Keith Hollifield from KY. He installed the Maxcim MaxN32-13Y motor with the 3.5:1 superbox gear reduction and a 14x10 APC-E prop. The controller is the Maxcim Maxµ35C-25NB. It was originally flown on 24 CP2400 cells with my timer always set at 5 min. so I knew that I could get at least one go around. I'm now flying it on a pair of TP 8000 packs series connected to give me 7s4p total. Based on recharge numbers after my first 8 minute flight, I should be able to get three 8 minute flights from this pack, but I will most likely fly twice and then put it on the charger for 20 minutes or so before the next flight. I need to weigh it with the Li-Po's, but I think it is less than 9 lbs.

Brad
byoung is online now Find More Posts by byoung
Old Aug 06, 2004, 12:46 PM
Joined Feb 2004
314 Posts
Sweet picture. Our planes are identical with the exception that I had the yellow tail stripped and replaced it with red covering, I have a red spinner, and I tinted my canopy to hide that I didn't put my pilot back in the plane. My setup is an AXI 4130/16 with a Hacker Master 77 3p opto ESC, and Tanic 6s2p pack of the 2550 milliamp batteries. 5.1 amps total. I flew the other day the maiden flight and using the timer I stopped after 12 minutes. I charged my batteries up, one 3s2p pack at a time (two total to make the 6s2p) and one pack took 2630 milliamps and the other took 2730 milliamps.

Using those numbers, I ought to get 18 minutes flight time out of the pack. My AUW is 8.5 lbs on the dot.......

Longarm