SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2002, 05:24 AM
Seņor Meember
Joined Sep 2001
973 Posts
Tiger Moth Formation Flying (sorta) Videos

I was flying at El Dorado Park Sunday morning when a couple other guys showed up with their Tiger Moths. We decided to fly all of them together doing whatever and video tape it all. The wind was up so things got squirrelly from time to time. It was a lot of fun. You can see the vids on my Tiger Moth page HERE. Hope you enjoy em.

Mario

P.S. Yea, I know it's late. My daughter is sick and won't let me sleep.
Sloper Mario is offline Find More Posts by Sloper Mario
Last edited by Sloper Mario; Jan 28, 2002 at 05:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2002, 09:41 AM
Dallas,TX
Joined Jul 2001
1,656 Posts
Cool videos. That looked like fun.
mattk17 is offline Find More Posts by mattk17
Old Jan 28, 2002, 10:18 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Great videos Mario.

Looks to me like the aileron moth flies fine. There has been some discussion about it not working. Just enough to keep me from trying it. But this is pretty good proof that it works well.

Is Hiroshi using just a/e or a/e/r? Does he like it? Any tips about doing it?

Thanks,

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jan 28, 2002, 12:13 PM
Long Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2002
87 Posts
Mario - The videos were great! I didn't think you would have them up that fast. It was great meeting you, and a pleasure to fly with you.

Regards - Steve Campbell
scmodchips1 is offline Find More Posts by scmodchips1
Old Jan 28, 2002, 02:00 PM
Buena Park, CA
Joined Jul 2001
6 Posts
Hi Mario,

Hehehe, great videos. That was a blast. We'd have to get more TM's in our formation

Basketcase,

I'm using a/e/r in mode 2. I've read some of the posts about adding ailerons on the TM and realized that there isn't enough control surface if you just cut the wings. So I added the aileron pieces made out of 1/16" balsa directly to the trailing edge of the bottom wings. The ailerons were working great for flying around but not enough power with the stock motor and the APC 9x6 prop. It won't roll more than 90 deg from level flight and the climb rate really suffered with the added weight. I'm thinking of changing the motor and adding ailerons to the upper wings as well
hhamada is offline Find More Posts by hhamada
Old Jan 28, 2002, 02:19 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
hhamada, I was trying to check the performance of your ailerons in the videos and noticed that you did in fact add the aileron onto the wing. I was thinking this was the way to go. I would suspect that the only other problem would be with the slow speed, which would make rolls very difficult. You might try covering the bottom of the wings to make it a little faster. Also, the M100 might be the answer to your lack of power. You did have a lot of dihedral so inverted flying might not be possible.
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
Old Jan 28, 2002, 04:09 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Thank for replying Hiroshi, Welcome to the E Zone. I thought that's what I saw in the videos.

I added ailerons cut from the wing to a HL Stearman and they work very well for me. Of course it weighs 15.6 oz (439gr) RTF and flies a lot faster. I removed almost all the dihedral and though I'm using a/e/r am finding that I really don't need the rudder except for stall turns.

After good luck with that I'm really interested in trying it on the moth. I have a M100 but have been waiting to either crash the moth and break the motor off or burn it up and so far have been lucky enough not to need it.

Spaulding, your idea of more power and making the wings flat bottom definitely sounds like it would help.

Please keep us posted,

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jan 28, 2002, 05:00 PM
Gaston, Indiana 40°19'16.55"N 85°28'32.95"W
Joined Dec 2001
49 Posts
Great Videos

Hi Mario!
I really enjoyed the airborn antics. The wind sounds like it's really whistling. Is that gunfire heard in the background? Was someone trying to take pot shots at the squadron?

I saved them to watch and enjoy on the windy days when I can't fly. It sounded like you guys were having a blast!!

TM Fever is contagious!

Big-Jim
Big-Jim is offline Find More Posts by Big-Jim
Old Jan 28, 2002, 05:54 PM
Seņor Meember
Joined Sep 2001
973 Posts
Hey Steve, Hiroshi,
The vids came out pretty good eh? It was definitely a fun fly but next time we need to get like 3 or 4 more Moths in on the action. Can you imagine how cool it would be if we could have them all doing laps around the hill in formation? We'd need some practice and zero wind but it would be sweet. Too bad John wasn't quite familiar with the camera. There were a couple good shots that got missed. Oh well. Next time I'll get Crossbar-Craig to run the camera.

Big-Jim,
Yea the wind was close to the limit for the Moths. We didn't have a wind meter with us at the time but there were a couple times we were flat out and couldn't make any forward progress. And yes, that's gunfire in the background. The flying area is at the far end of El Dorado park right next to a police training facility. They're always shooting something over there. You can hear it in most of my vids. It doesn't bother me most of the time but every so often they crack off some supersonic sniper rifle and I jump.

Mario
Old Jan 28, 2002, 09:05 PM
Seņor Meember
Joined Sep 2001
973 Posts
Steve,
I forgot to post this earlier but you can get the vid of your helicopter at http://datascape.net/plane/images/sc-heli.wmv

Mario
Old Jan 29, 2002, 10:16 AM
Seņor Meember
Joined Sep 2001
973 Posts
ttt