Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 04, 2004, 01:05 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Jets at the EAA Fly-In 2004

I've been living in Milwaukee for 25 years and only made it up to the Oshkosh EAA Fly-In once in that time (One of my first dates with my 2nd. wife, she was impressed to walk Under the Concorde ) that was in '95, so the Opportunity came about for me to go this year.

My wife works for the local cable company, and won a sales incentive contest trip to sunny LA to see the taping of a new Showtime series, "Hut". So my Son in Law, and two of my Grandkids and my daughters step-brother, head up to the Fly-In after dropping of the wife and daughter at the airport.

$ 90 BUX for 3 adult admission's later, we got into the fly-in. This thing is freaking HUGE!!! Everyone who is anyone in the aircraft world has a booth set up here, there are hangers full of them! Bright shinny new aircraft are displayed like the Detroit auto show, complete with Lights camera's and flightsuit clad models Everything from ultralights to 100+ Million Dollar Corporate jetliners was on display.

Notice the cute little red Ford GT-40 off to the right? Yup, Corporate sponsor

After renting a little red waggon for the grandkids, ($15 bux) we headed off for the flightline.

Meet Racheal and Josh and the Ever present "Puppy" (they have 3 "real" dogs, but "puppy" actully does what Josh tells it to do

Naturally, I thought of all my fellow EZoners and snapped off some shots of some of the USA's finest Aircraft.

Some for Ed, Chris, and all you other A-10 lovers

F-15's for Steve and Gordon, and everyone else

Special Group for Hawker and all you "Heavy Metal" types

C-17 Flying back to DOVER AFB Delaware. (Hawkers Home Base)

He might have been ON the darn thing for all I know LOL
sure is a HUGE B.U.F.F. Just amazing to see something that huge fly so SLOW!!

Wisconsin ANG F-16

Speed Brakes on a F-16

I'm including the next shot, not because it's a B-17 (with those Prop Things) on it, but because of the Nose-Art

Someone said it was the first plane that the "Thunderbird" was used on an Aircraft, so take it for what it's worth

Got an extra $250.00 you don't know what to do with? Spend it on some Artwork and really impress the wife

Chuck Yeager in the X-1 and his Last Flight in a F-15

Spent some time getting my Grandson interested in the Air Force, here he is trying on a flight helmet

He fell flat on his face from the weight of it, and his dad had a good laugh (so did everyone else)

Now on to the GOOD Stuff
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2004, 01:10 AM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Hey thanks!

Looks just like my small one. Got the Yeager picture too all signed by him but it's of the X-1A. Would love to have that one too. Looks like it's by the same artist.

Cool stuff. Thanks for posting!

Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Old Aug 04, 2004, 01:43 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
2004 EAA Fly-In Pic's

At the NASA building, there was this 1/2 Scale Replica of a Jet that will someday fly over Mar's

In the international spirit of cooperation, it will be powered by a 200mm WeMoTec Fan and a Mega Motor (Just kidding, I beleive it's a Glider )

Now if NASA has it's way, this is what you'll be flying to work in the near future

(This is What The NEXT X-Prize should be about )
BTW didn't see a darn thing about Burt Rutan up there this year, but I didn't get into all the buildings either

Here's "Josh the Red Barron"

Money, Money, Money
Here's something for you "Dark Siders" to consider
why spend 20 Grand on a Model, when you can get some of your buddy's to Kick in an extra 50 Grand And
BUY A REAL JET !!!

Speaking of Jets, this cute little purple V-tail jet was in the Warbirds Airshow, anyone have an Idea of what it is?

Here are some Warbird Shots

Security Was very tight at the Fly-in

One LAST shot to remind everyone that
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
Old Aug 04, 2004, 01:48 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Hi Steve, that photo was at Gen. Yeagers Booth. www.chuckyeager.com maybe they'd have a copy there you can buy. Just checked, yup it's there all right. click on the "right stuff store" and Art & Posters link. Or use the handy link http://www.engineerscouncil.org/Yeag...eartprints.htm
Old Aug 04, 2004, 02:09 AM
Altea la Vieja, Spain
Joined Mar 2004
62 Posts
(Speaking of Jets, this cute little purple V-tail jet was in the Warbirds Airshow, anyone have an Idea of what it is? )

A FOUGA MAGISTER, french Jet trainer

Regards, Harry
Harry v. Melick is offline Find More Posts by Harry v. Melick
Old Aug 04, 2004, 02:51 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
awesome pics, thanks for sharing! Gonna have to get there one of these days.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Aug 04, 2004, 11:01 AM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,378 Posts
More Photos

Thanks for starting this thread, RCParkflyer! I did not shot that many myself to make it worthwhile. We must have been at the field on the same day, LOL. I see you are starting your grandchildren early Attendance this year was lower, a shame since the temperature was really kind this year. Heard some pointing to the economy, terrorism, higher gas $; & for the locals a couple days with downpour mainly as the probable causes for the turn-out. Yeah, I did see some guardsmen around, but hope they were issued ammo for their arms, which were or older generation (hope they get updated to M16s soon).

Yes, I did sit in on Bert Rutan's & Roncz now regualr tent banter. He flew in with the owner of one of the few remaining Starships that has not been re-acquired by Beech for disposal, but that was not a jet. Here is a shot of another "for sale" jet (asking for only $50k) to show Matt & JohnBoy I have nothing against the Hunter The 2nd shot is of the featured warbird to inspire those building Scott's Saber. Enjoy!
PhilLin is online now Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Aug 04, 2004, 11:16 AM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,378 Posts
Last photos

Here is the arrival scene of the Marine F18 for the Bug fans. See if you can read the call sign of Maj(?) M R Wise (rank obscured under flight helmet) in the 2nd shot of the "Crusaders" CAG Bird. Crusaders? Some might say appropo to the mission somewhere
Old Aug 04, 2004, 11:23 AM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,378 Posts
Oh, yeah. Can't end without the tail of the Crusaders CAG bird.
Old Aug 04, 2004, 11:30 AM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,378 Posts
Or is the CAG Bird not numbered with the modex "00". Perhaps those knowledgeable can correct me. TIA!
Old Aug 04, 2004, 11:55 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,926 Posts
Cool, thanks for the shots. I've got to make it out there one of these years.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Aug 04, 2004, 12:05 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,926 Posts
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Aug 04, 2004, 01:16 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Hi Phil, yes we were there the same day!!

Fantastic pic's of the Hornet, mine are like a little bug on the window, as I was only able to take a picture when It first arrived overhead. We were already up by the Warbirds section, and managed to arrive there in the nick of time to get booted out of the flightline, so they could start engines for the Warbirds 3 pm show. We never made it back up to the military section, so I couldn't get a good shot of the F-18.

I wish I could have spent more time going through the warbirds, so many P-51's to see and photo, being disabled sucks although my frequent rest stops allowed me to talk to a lot of folks.

My granddaughter really enjoyed herself, I was hoping she could meet Patty Wagstaff, but I pointed her out when she was performing, she fly's better than most men Racheal was just rivited in one spot watching her fly, yelling at me to take more pictures LOL... I think she's hooked on flying

Next year I WILL be better prepared for the journey, as Grandpa is hooked too
Old Aug 04, 2004, 02:17 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Waldrep
Ed, you can always volunteer for Control Tower duty. Just noticed from my pix why I had a bit of problem shaping the tail cones on my Bug. Now I see the curvature starts at the hinge line. I did mine starting at T/E of the rudders. Too late!
Old Aug 04, 2004, 02:42 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCParkflyer
Speaking of Jets, this cute little purple V-tail jet was in the Warbirds Airshow, anyone have an Idea of what it is?

Could it be this:
http://www.warbirdalley.com/fouga.htm
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette