HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2004, 10:32 PM
Joined Dec 2003
796 Posts
Need new razor plane

My old razor plane finaly gave up the ghost. I cant seem to find another . Can anyone recomend where to buy a good one? Im building balsa hand launch glider wings.
Thanks, Rob
robert harik is offline Find More Posts by robert harik
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2004, 12:39 AM
Santo, Tx.
Joined Aug 2003
134 Posts
Robert- Tower Hobbies lists the Master Airscrew razor plane for $5.69. I've been using one for several years with no complaints. Jim
Blazer is offline Find More Posts by Blazer
Old Aug 04, 2004, 01:03 AM
Joined Dec 2003
796 Posts
Thanks Blazer, It looks good, I will order one.
Rob
Old Aug 12, 2004, 09:03 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
I gave up on razor planes years ago. I use an older Stanly block plane. Has a 1" wide blade that I hone to razor sharp. The only trick is getting the depth adjusted for the material being planed.
SoCalGliderFlyr is offline Find More Posts by SoCalGliderFlyr
Old Aug 13, 2004, 09:00 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,163 Posts
I also found out that a good block plane like Stanley brand is so much better than a razor plane. You do have to know how to sharpen a blade but that is no big deal. It is a lifetime investment too as, with proper care, it will never wear out.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Aug 14, 2004, 03:32 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,626 Posts
Got any basic woodworking skills? I've been making up my own from maple or cherry that use the simple single edged razor blades available from autobody and other outlets. They work great and the blades are CHEAP. I had a Foremost at one time and the price and problems with getting new blades and the flexing of the shoe when gripping it made me toss it.

If you're interested in making your own I'll post up some pics.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Aug 14, 2004, 10:18 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
My biggest complaint on the small Stanley block plane is not being able to adjust the blade as you can with larger planes. I swear that I had a commercial block plane that used the single edge razor blades. I sure can't find it. Still it had the same problem with consistantcy in adjusting the blade rake and depth.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 12:34 AM
Joined Dec 2003
796 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I have the small stanley block plane but you cant get the blade sharp enough for what Im doing. I am cutting 5-6 pound 1/4 inch balsa, the wood is so soft that it is very easy to gouge. The cuts have to be small and presice.
In fact in my old plane, the only blades that would work were the blue spring steel type, like the old ones from the 60's.They are very sharp and stiff so the edge does not roll over when cutting.
BMatthews, I would be very interested in your plane pics.
Rob
Old Aug 15, 2004, 01:11 AM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Back to sanding.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 10:46 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,163 Posts
I use the small Stanley block plane all the time. Infinate adjustment on blade depth and sharpness of the blade is dependent only on the care you use when you sharpen it.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Aug 15, 2004, 04:52 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Totally infinate! Loosed screw, tap blade. Would much rather have a machine screw to set the depth.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 04:34 PM
Joined Dec 2003
796 Posts
Could not find A good one for sale around here and was still waiting for tower hobbies, so I milled one out of alum. bar stock at work. Works better than the original. Probably the most expensive razer plane ever made!
Old Aug 16, 2004, 08:11 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Might have a saleable item there! Post some pictures.
Old Sep 08, 2004, 12:40 PM
London, Ontario
Joined Jun 2004
14 Posts
Run a search on eBay for "razor planer". There are a few different kinds that use double-edged razor blades...look for Wilkro or Little Giant. I have two of the Wilkro kind, and they work great...

weldflash
weldflash is offline Find More Posts by weldflash
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:01 PM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
Got any basic woodworking skills? I've been making up my own from maple or cherry that use the simple single edged razor blades available from autobody and other outlets. They work great and the blades are CHEAP. I had a Foremost at one time and the price and problems with getting new blades and the flexing of the shoe when gripping it made me toss it.

If you're interested in making your own I'll post up some pics.
Hi Bruce -

I'm certainly interested in seeing pics of your razor planes. I wish I could find my old Klingon or what ever it was called. Please show us!

Ron
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams