SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 03, 2004, 10:27 PM
Spead Eagle, WI (about 2 hours north of Green Bay)
Joined May 2004
786 Posts
Charger leads broke off on Lithium charger...need help soldering back on!

Hi everyone,
The charger leads on my Westek Lithium charger finally broke off (they always looked hardly attached) and I need to find a way to connect them again. It is a very tiny connection to make and I have hardly any soldering experience (the best I can do is connect 2 wires together )
The two areas that need to be soldered seem to be connected by a bead of solder (the neg and pos wire connection areas) I don't understand why that didn't cause a short The wires that broke off are the ones that go to the battery. How do you solder something like this?
I have attached a pic of what needs to be soldered
Thanks for your help
Dan
Picoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Picoflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2004, 11:13 PM
USA, tn, Cordova
Joined Oct 2001
238 Posts
Seems to be a common breaking point for this charger,mine was doing the same thing. Those are two different solder joints and should not touch, you might have too much solder on them and they appear to touch. Try removing some of the solder with some Radio Shack de-solder wick. Use a small tip, don't hold the iron on the board/joint too long, just until the solder melts.They should be reattached with the black wire on the outside as you have them positioned in the pic.
Take it to work, seems like there is always a solder geek somewhere in the building!
Battfly is offline Find More Posts by Battfly
Old Aug 04, 2004, 09:41 AM
RB
Buford GA
Joined Jul 2001
480 Posts
Mine did the same thing. What I did was use a JST charge lead that has thicker wire. I also used my hot glue gun to judiciously add some hot glue to the case, heat shrink and wires as a strain relief on both sets of wires.

I suffer from tremor due to some meds so I really struggle doing fine work. What helps me is to lightly clamp the piece in a vise and then use some slip joint pliers to hold the soldering iron down near the bottom. This lessens the shake. Then with the heels of both hands carefully placed on the vise I can rotate the iron down onto the exact spot to be soldered.

You need some of the "helping hands" like Radio Shack and others sell. Clamp the pre-tinned wire into the helping hand clip and position the tinned end perfectly on the spot. A touch of the hot iron should do it. You should have no solder on the iron.

Do several cold runs to practice. You will have to cut the heat shink case back to expose the area to be soldered.

RB
RB is offline Find More Posts by RB
Old Aug 04, 2004, 01:39 PM
Spead Eagle, WI (about 2 hours north of Green Bay)
Joined May 2004
786 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone...I tried soldering it by exposing the area to be soldered, putting some solder on the end of the wire that needs to be soldered, touching the tip of the wire with the connection point and heating the wire up with the iron until it melted onto the connection area. I then added some more solder to strenthen the joint and melted some hot glue to strengthen that area and amazingly...it worked! It took several tries to get it since I didn't have anything to clamp it in the right place...but eventually it worked.
Thanks again,
Dan
Picoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Picoflyer