Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 19, 2004, 02:23 PM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Due
No shame in a good copy! That's why we all share our ideas here. Some of the people on here have been building and flying models for years. I always listen to what they have to say.....experience counts! I've only been at it for less than 2 years now and have learned a wealth of information from the more experienced. I am still amazed at how much everyone here is willing to help. I remember the 1st time I posted a question on Ezone, I expected maybe to get an answer or 2 in a couple of days. Well, I think it took about 5 minutes for several people to jump in and help! You can't beat that! Anyway, looking forward to seeing your pics.

Randy
Hi Randie,

I realy liked your Snoop-E and my last model looks a lot like yours. There are some differences tho:
-There is no styofoam ball on the nose (just a blue water noodle bumper)
-I used thin coroplast instead of bluecore to rigidify the white foam fuselage
-The wing is built like an oversized Wingo wing with CF arrow shafts
-Fuselage was built specially to house my new Typhoon 15/13 and my Aiptek Mini 1.3
-V-tailed to save weight and to test if a v-tail is that good with slow flight speeds

Still, there is too much wind up here to fly it. I should have build an AP kite instead. :-)

Do you still fly your Snoop-E ?

Gwelan
Gwelan is offline Find More Posts by Gwelan
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2004, 02:56 PM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwelan
Hi Randie,

I realy liked your Snoop-E and my last model looks a lot like yours. There are some differences tho:
-There is no styofoam ball on the nose (just a blue water noodle bumper)
-I used thin coroplast instead of bluecore to rigidify the white foam fuselage
-The wing is built like an oversized Wingo wing with CF arrow shafts
-Fuselage was built specially to house my new Typhoon 15/13 and my Aiptek Mini 1.3
-V-tailed to save weight and to test if a v-tail is that good with slow flight speeds

Still, there is too much wind up here to fly it. I should have build an AP kite instead. :-)

Do you still fly your Snoop-E ?

Gwelan

I'm on my 4th Snoop-E now! I just keep changing it, little by little.....but now it's more like the original than ever. The only real difference in #4 is that I made it a little longer and with a 9" x64" wing instead of the 7"....and of course slightly larger tail feathers. The fuse is now cut as one piece from EPP, still using arrow shaft for boom. The ball socket will also hold a water noodle. That's how I carry my Nikon. It looks like a hammer when installed! I think I will probably put a Nippy Black or PJS on it soon also. At these dimensions, it handles the extra weight of the Nikon with no problems. I am actually liking the water noodles better than the balls. The only drawback is I can't rotate to the side, but I never do anyway. I hope you can psot some pics of your plane.

Randy
Randy Due is offline Find More Posts by Randy Due
Old Sep 19, 2004, 03:23 PM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
Quote:
I'm on my 4th Snoop-E now! I just keep changing it, little by little.....but now it's more like the original than ever. The only real difference in #4 is that I made it a little longer and with a 9" x64" wing instead of the 7"....and of course slightly larger tail feathers. The fuse is now cut as one piece from EPP, still using arrow shaft for boom. The ball socket will also hold a water noodle. That's how I carry my Nikon. It looks like a hammer when installed! I think I will probably put a Nippy Black or PJS on it soon also. At these dimensions, it handles the extra weight of the Nikon with no problems. I am actually liking the water noodles better than the balls. The only drawback is I can't rotate to the side, but I never do anyway. I hope you can psot some pics of your plane.

Randy
I like these water nooles too. I took the idea of using them from a guy who wanted a crash proof version of his Firebird XL. He used a EPP bumper, but when I saw the "flying Turkey", I first tought the bumper was made from a water noodle. So I bought some, and I always use them to lessen the potential impact of a crash over inhabited areas. (For that same reason, I only build pusher planes)

By the way, I found some styrofoam balls that are different from those found in Wally World. They are made of ordinary styrofoam, not that brittle and heavy styrofoam used to make flower arrangements. You will find them in a good art supply store, such as Omer Dessere here in Canada.

My camera batteries are on charger for now, but I'll post some pix later.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 11:01 PM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
Update on Modular Slinger

Okay, I finally got to work on the thing again this weekend. Since my long can 400 smelled like it was about to fry and time was running out before our weekend trip to the beach, I decided to put the large pod aside and make a smaller pod to carry my Aiptek DV3100 and possiby my wireless cam. All with hopes of keeping the weight down enough to use my direct drive Himaxx BL. Well, the AUW came in at almost exactly what my fun-fly Slinger weighs so that was a go for test flight. I didn't have time to build the hatch, so I just balanced and taped everything into place. Stuck a weighted "dummy" noodle on the nose to mock the camera and tossed it. Got some altitude and trimmed it out. It flew pretty good. Definitely slower with the draggy noodle nose. I had the battery turned sideways and I could tell it in flight. (more weight outboard made it a little more wobbly than normal) When I build the hatch, I'll fix that. I balanced it at about the same as the stock Slinger and it flew like it was a bit nose heavy. I moved the cg a bit and it was better. I may try fudging it some more. Second flight was with camera on and in video mode. Now, this is a pretty fast plane and the DV3100 video ain't great at 10fps, so you can imagine how it looks, but I wanted to see how stable it was flying, from a birdseye view. It does look very promising, especially when you consider that it will pack up into a 28x18x6" box. Sorry, no pics yet. But I'll post some as soon as I can. In fact, to keep from cluttering this thread any more, I'll probably just start another thread and place a link to it from here.

Randy
Old Sep 20, 2004, 06:01 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Aug 2004
246 Posts
Randy,
Looking forward to the pics!
Pete
TexasPete is offline Find More Posts by TexasPete
Old Sep 20, 2004, 07:24 PM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
Some pictures of my new AP plane

They are not quite good, but they give a good idea of its general aspect.The plane has no name yet, so sugestions are welcome.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...d=301752&stc=1

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...d=301751&stc=1

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...d=301753&stc=1

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...d=301754&stc=1

Gwelan
Last edited by Gwelan; Sep 20, 2004 at 07:56 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 08:40 PM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwelan
Nice job! The coroplast gives it a nice smooth finish. Do you like the v-tail?

Randy
Old Sep 20, 2004, 09:50 PM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Nice job! The coroplast gives it a nice smooth finish. Do you like the v-tail?

Randy
Thanks Randy,

A thread on the AP forum once showed an oversized v-tail fitted to a Slowstick and it looked like a good idea for slow flight maneuvers. I dont know yet if the v-tail does it's job fine, as the plane is still waiting for it's maiden flight. Tho, I'm quite happy for the trick I used to build it : I caught each foam panel in sandwich between two triangular pieces of Herculene glued with PU. ( Herculene is a thick polyester drafting film). Once PU is cured, the panels are realy stiff, and there is no need for any carbon rod between them.

I like this type of coroplast because it gives lots of strenght to the styrofoam fuselage in case of a crash. For this plane, coroplast permited to easily manage doors for flight components and the niche for camera. For sure It increases weight, but I dont care as long as my plane keeps on looking like a plane after a couple of rough landings. (My first "all foam" plane looked like a chunk of epoxy after few flights) Maybe on my next plane i'll replace coroplast by glass fiber covered with Polycrylic. It seems like a lighter alternative to coroplast for foam covering.

Gwelan
Last edited by Gwelan; Sep 20, 2004 at 10:09 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 10:39 PM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
Looks good Gwelan. Can't wait to hear how the first flight goes. I have done a couple V tail pusher's pretty much like that and I always seem to have trouble. The last one turned okay, but in >10 mph winds it had a wicked porpose problem and I was shooting for a plane that could do 15+.
fdisk is offline Find More Posts by fdisk
Old Sep 20, 2004, 11:22 PM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdisk
Looks good Gwelan. Can't wait to hear how the first flight goes. I have done a couple V tail pusher's pretty much like that and I always seem to have trouble. The last one turned okay, but in >10 mph winds it had a wicked porpose problem and I was shooting for a plane that could do 15+.

I dont expect my new plane to do any better than a Wingo in strong winds; It weights about 32 oz, has the same airfoil as a Wingo and wing surface is just slightly bigger.

I got a quite short experience with v-tail planes, as the second plane I build was a copy of this one: http://www.acesim.com/rc/polly/polly.html. It flew quite well in the wind, but I crashed it (dumb thumb of mine) at full throttle. Its non-covered wings "exploded" on the asphalt in a cloud of foam. I miss my Poly Pusher and my next AP plane will probably look a little more like it than a Wingo.

Gwelan
Old Sep 21, 2004, 07:56 PM
Boston, MA
Joined Dec 2003
97 Posts
Hi All. I've been distracted away from RC this summer, but am back again with vigor. Love this thread, though it seems to be proving that there is not a single catchall design for AP work that will please everyone. (Centexflyer might be onto something good, though.)

Gwelan, I too built a Polly Pusher specifically for AP. (What a great guy that Ken Hill.)I like the inverted V-tail because it is stronger/stiffer than the standard upright version and it tends to level a ship out of a turn (unlike the upright v-tail). I built mine out of 3mm thick meat-tray material (aka Depron) and am quite happy with it. There is much misunderstanding about v-tails, but there is a great discussion about them at the "askdj" section of the djaerotech.com site. I'm lead to believe they will perform as well as standard fin-stab arrangement if properly designed. Also, they do have a theoretical advantage for low Reynold's number flight.

At any rate, my point for this thread is to not discount v-tails for AP work
Radiofly is offline Find More Posts by Radiofly
Old Sep 21, 2004, 08:46 PM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiofly
Hi All. I've been distracted away from RC this summer, but am back again with vigor. Love this thread, though it seems to be proving that there is not a single catchall design for AP work that will please everyone. (Centexflyer might be onto something good, though.)

Gwelan, I too built a Polly Pusher specifically for AP. (What a great guy that Ken Hill.)I like the inverted V-tail because it is stronger/stiffer than the standard upright version and it tends to level a ship out of a turn (unlike the upright v-tail). I built mine out of 3mm thick meat-tray material (aka Depron) and am quite happy with it. There is much misunderstanding about v-tails, but there is a great discussion about them at the "askdj" section of the djaerotech.com site. I'm lead to believe they will perform as well as standard fin-stab arrangement if properly designed. Also, they do have a theoretical advantage for low Reynold's number flight.

At any rate, my point for this thread is to not discount v-tails for AP work

Hi,

This is a cool plane !
I didn't used my Poly as an AP plane. I built it as a trainer, so I didnt manage a big fuselage to house a cam. I wonder what camera are you using with yours and if you oversized the fuse to house it ?

Did you took some parts from a Wall Mart glider, or did you entirely build it from Depron ? Mine was entirely made of pink styrofoam and coroplast. (I kept my Wally glider apart for further experiments) My poly glidded almost like a real glidder and was a piece of cake on flying.

Gwelan
Last edited by Gwelan; Sep 21, 2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 09:05 PM
Boston, MA
Joined Dec 2003
97 Posts
The Polly Pusher was built very similarly to the website...using the cut-up fuselage and wings from the Wal-Mart $4 glider. I was definately impressed by how beautifully it flies. A couple of days ago I was actually thermalling for about 23 minutes with a pair of Hawks. I only wish I had the camera mounted at the time, though I'm not sure I would have been thermalling so well with it. As for camera, I use a Mustek Mini3 with the RC-Cam switch. The camera simply drops in the fuselage and looks down and sideways. Within reason, the fuselage can easily be made/modified for any lite digital camera.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 09:09 PM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiofly
The Polly Pusher was built very similarly to the website...using the cut-up fuselage and wings from the Wal-Mart $4 glider. I was definately impressed by how beautifully it flies. A couple of days ago I was actually thermalling for about 23 minutes with a pair of Hawks. I only wish I had the camera mounted at the time, though I'm not sure I would have been thermalling so well with it. As for camera, I use a Mustek Mini3 with the RC-Cam switch. The camera simply drops in the fuselage and looks down and sideways. Within reason, the fuselage can easily be made/modified for any lite digital camera.
I'd be really pleased to see your plane if you already have some photos.

Gwelan
Old Sep 21, 2004, 09:28 PM
Boston, MA
Joined Dec 2003
97 Posts
Polly Pusher pictures are on a differnt PC, but I'll post later (day or two) and on a separate thread. Thanks for your interest.