SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 03, 2004, 06:26 AM
UK
Joined Feb 2003
24 Posts
Brushless - 2 Motors from 1 ESC ?

Probably an easy question for those in the know - can I run 2 brushless motors from 1 brushless speed controller (amp rating permitting, obviously) ?

I suspect the answer is "no", cos doesn't the ESC do some back sensing from the motor ?

Thanks.
cv990 is offline Find More Posts by cv990
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2004, 06:55 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,788 Posts
Usually no, but some motor/esc combinations do work ... for example Kontronik sell a "twin drive set" with two motors and a single (normal) ESC which works fine. If you run some searches this crops up fairly often ... you might find other examples of specific setups that have been tried.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Aug 03, 2004, 06:58 AM
Tree Hater
Howland, Ohio
Joined Jun 2004
729 Posts
You got it. The answer is "no" for just that reason. That's what was explained to me when I asked about it. I pretty much decided to use brushed motors at that point so I never really got into the wiring aspect of it --- so I'm not sure about BEC. I suspect that if you use a "Y" harness to connect 2 ESC's to your throttle channel they would be running parallel and the voltage would be safe for your radio, but I'll accept the word of someone who understands this better than I do.
zeuglodon is offline Find More Posts by zeuglodon
Old Aug 03, 2004, 01:04 PM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuglodon
You got it. The answer is "no" for just that reason. That's what was explained to me when I asked about it. I pretty much decided to use brushed motors at that point so I never really got into the wiring aspect of it --- so I'm not sure about BEC. I suspect that if you use a "Y" harness to connect 2 ESC's to your throttle channel they would be running parallel and the voltage would be safe for your radio, but I'll accept the word of someone who understands this better than I do.
The wiring would be in parralel; it would not double voltage. So, you use the two ESC's w/ a Y harness.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Last edited by raptor22; Aug 04, 2004 at 04:57 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2004, 01:38 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
Some peple have got it to work, with identical motors. Others have had problems with one motor not starting properly.

There's a video here of it working really well, apparently the poster took no special precautions, it just worked for him.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7&page=2&pp=15

Once running, they should be OK if the motors are turning at the same speed. If one is slightly slower it should draw a bit more power to keep it in sync, but if they get wildly out of sync the controller will get confused.

Robin
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Aug 03, 2004, 02:33 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Two BL (sensorless) can operate on one ESC but what limit success is start-up of both motors. Once running they run in perfect sync and the ESC see only "one". The key is getting a ESC with appropriate (tolerant) start-up algorithms. Using two identical motors is important, also keeping the motorwires (the pair of three) identical in length.

Some combos work, others dont. By reports here on the Ezone Kontronik ESC's offer the greatest chance of success. Motorbrand is less important, ESC is the key.

One can only parallell such a system so your ESC need atleast 2x amp rating of one motor/load.
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Aug 03, 2004, 07:49 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,312 Posts
Who carries the Kontronic ESC's?
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Aug 03, 2004, 08:03 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
Greg,

You can get them from Perry at AeroMicro, although I have always bought mine used here on the 'zone.

My success rate for twins is 100% Kontronik, 0% other (CC, TMM, Jeti).

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old Aug 04, 2004, 05:27 AM
Edmonds Wa. (Seattle)
Joined Nov 2003
3,926 Posts
It works! Just do it!
Scott
Littlescreamers is offline Find More Posts by Littlescreamers
Old Aug 04, 2004, 11:21 AM
UK
Joined Aug 2000
1,082 Posts
I made 2 CD motors for a friend and they start and run perfectly on a Tsunami 10 in its default 'mode3' setup. They both have the same number of turns and are connected in parallel (how else?!). I wanted him to connect the same winds together (A to A, B to B etc) but he forgot so we're not sure if he did this or if this is important or not. He now wants a 4 engined model on one ESC; oh no, my fingers are sore!
David.
David T is offline Find More Posts by David T
Old Aug 04, 2004, 02:45 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,788 Posts
According to Castle Creations it is not possible to run two brushless motors from one ESC ... well, theirs anyway

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259943
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Aug 04, 2004, 03:20 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Sep 2003
45 Posts
My P10 and P25 work just fine with 2 motors and one controller. I know several others running them this way with no problems.

Tracy Hill
Conversion motor works
T_Hill is offline Find More Posts by T_Hill
Old Aug 04, 2004, 08:08 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
And I've tried both the P10 and P25 in dual configurations with consistently poor results. I can say for sure they don't reliably start Astro or Mega motors like this.

Perhaps a better way to state it is like this:

Castle Creations explicitly say that their controllers are not designed to run more than one motor in parallel.

Kontronik explicitly say that their controllers are designed to run more than one motor in parallel (and they sell a product based on this).

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Last edited by DrZiplok; Aug 04, 2004 at 08:12 PM.