HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2004, 02:26 PM
pushing both extremes
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2001
567 Posts
Mako 2 - info, pics, video

Hi Everyone,

Here is some info on my latest plane. Some of you may remember a plane I did a while ago called the Mako . I called the Mako a stunt plane because it was sort of a cross trainer. It did pattern and 3D equally well, but not a master of either. Well in this new incarnation of the Mako, I decided to tailor it more towards full 3D. This version is sporting a Razor MH-V2 in a C drive (5.33:1) running on a 2s iRate 830 pack. The AUW is 7.9 ounces and the wing loading is about 3.5 oz/ft2. It's all balsa (and a tiny bit of 1/32 ply) with a built up profile fuselage and a traditional spar and rib wing. It's set up with pull - pull controls on the elevator and rudder with a servo in each wing for the ailerons. I'm using spoileron and flaperon mixing for extra fun.

Flight characteristics:

The power is very good on 2 cells. I'm using a 10x8 prop and at full throttle the Mako 2 will roar down the field at a pretty fast clip. I would guess about 30 MPH. It hovers at about 1/2 throttle and punch out of a hover is brisk, but not screaming fast. The run time for me is between 10 and 15 minutes. Low speed flight is very slow. With flaps down, it's literally a walking pace. A lipo powered tigermoth will stall out first if you do a try to see who can go the slowest. The controls are very powerful because of the huge control surfaces, the light weight, and the big thrust. I love to do a torque roll, and then reverse the direction of the roll while hovering. Holding a steady hover (no roll), takes about 1/3 stick travel on the ailerons. That's with about 70% expo dialed in. Pitch and roll coupling are very minimal, and they are still changing as I play with moving my CG around. When I finally settle on where I want the CG to be, I may mix out any remaining coupling on my Tx, but it is so slight at this point that some people would not even bother.

The balsa construction has the downside that if the plane crashes, it will break. But on the upside, it is wonderfully strong and rigid, resulting in a very positive and predictable response to all of my commands.

Here are a few flight pictures and videos for your enjoyment.

By the way, donít laugh at me trying to do a 4 point roll in the last video. I'm just not the greatest of pilots... Yet!

- Zoom -
Zoom is offline Find More Posts by Zoom
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2004, 02:27 PM
pushing both extremes
Joined Oct 2001
567 Posts
Here is the Original Mako next to the new Mako 2 for comparison.
Old Aug 01, 2004, 02:30 PM
pushing both extremes
Joined Oct 2001
567 Posts
High speed pass
Old Aug 01, 2004, 02:30 PM
pushing both extremes
Joined Oct 2001
567 Posts
Low and slow
Old Aug 01, 2004, 02:31 PM
pushing both extremes
Joined Oct 2001
567 Posts
The obligatory hover shot.
Old Aug 01, 2004, 02:33 PM
pushing both extremes
Joined Oct 2001
567 Posts
Videos are here
Old Aug 01, 2004, 02:36 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2004
73 Posts
Any reason you went from the built up fuse to the profile?
raptorloader is offline Find More Posts by raptorloader
Old Aug 01, 2004, 03:52 PM
pushing both extremes
Joined Oct 2001
567 Posts
Good question raptorloader.

Yes, there was.

I knew I wanted pull - pull controls, and this is always a pain when you have a built up body. With the servos hanging off the sides, the pull - pull setup is trivial.

Also, I thought that maybe the flat body would provide better knife edge characteristics. Not only should it give more lift at shallow angles, but it seems like it should be more well behaved. I donít really know if this is true or not, but I thought I would try it. It does K.E. much better than the original, but I know that other factors like more side area, better distribution of area, longer rudder moment, and a lighter plane all contributed to this as well.

Lastly, it was easier to build.

On the negative side though, the profile is not as nice to look at. For some reason it is also slightly more difficult to maintain visual orientation.

- Zoom -
Old Aug 02, 2004, 01:38 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
She looks like a great flyer, Dave! Is there any chance of releasing a hybrid version that has the version 2 moments but also has a full fuse?

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Aug 02, 2004, 02:07 PM
pushing both extremes
Joined Oct 2001
567 Posts
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the compliment.

I have a set of plans and a bunch of photos I took while building mine, but I'm still trying to decide what to do with them. The 3D kit market is quite flooded right now, and as you know, it's not trivial to bring a plane to market. I was thinking about just making the plans available for people who like to build with wood, maybe for a small cost to offset the price of duplicating and shipping.

That being the case, no I hadn't intended to do a full fuse, but it would be easy enough for the experienced modeler to frame one up using the original plans as a guide. Weight and balance should be about the same.

There are a few guys at my local field who are interested in doing one of these too. Almost no one I know ever completely follows a plan, so maybe one of them may do the full fuse thing. If they do, I'll be sure to post pics.

- Dave -
Old Oct 21, 2004, 01:26 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Are there plans for the built-up body?
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Oct 21, 2004, 01:38 PM
pushing both extremes
Joined Oct 2001
567 Posts
Tram

Yes, someday I'll do one because I do like the look a lot better. I might also change the motor over to an outrunner style because I love their simplicity and lack of gear noise. I have a few other planes I am dieing to do first though. I'm converting a rubber powered Fokker D7 over to micro gear, I'm designing a small sailplane (more of an aerobatic warmliner really), and I have a crazy idea for a swept forward canard stunt plane. After that the Mako 2 will probably get a new body.

- Zoom -
Old Oct 21, 2004, 01:42 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
I'll wait patiently..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Jan 11, 2007, 08:34 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
33 Posts
Dave,
I have several club members who have seen my Mako2 and love it. Any issues with sharing it with them giving you full credit?

I love it's versatility and have flown at RSA in 15kt winds and had a ball.

New bottom covering scheme helps with orientation. (see pic)
Hope your trip out to Phx was good.
Gary
Ojisan51 is offline Find More Posts by Ojisan51
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:43 AM
pushing both extremes
Joined Oct 2001
567 Posts
Hey Gary,

No problem at all with sharing the plans. Hope they enjoy it as much as I do. Please pass on the recommended electronics to them as well. I thought your plane turned out exceptionally well. Not only did you do a great job building it, but I just loved the reponse that it had with those servos, motor, and battery. Much better than the original. I may have to build another one myself with that set-up. I loved the way it lurches straight up when you hit the throttle coming out of a hover. That kind of throttle response in a light weight balsa plane that doesn't flex is really a hoot.

I dont recall if I noted it in the plans or not, but the tail skid only needs to be made out of .032 wire. If I get a chance, I'll post a pick of how I did mine. I noticed yours was a little on the stout side.

The new colors look great! That should definitely help with the orientation thing.

Yep, the trip was good, but the weather was not. Didn't get to fly at all. Oh well. Hope to see you out in CA again some time.

- Dave -