HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2004, 08:27 AM
USA, MI, Flushing
Joined Jun 2003
37 Posts
Rave
Goldberg Tiger 400 ARF

I receved my Goldberg Tiger 400 from Tower yesterday. Here are my impressions so far:
Likes-
Excellent packaging- everything bagged and protected.
The parts all seem to be built well and the covering is very well done. No wrinkles at all.
One piece wing- no joining halves.
The kit comes complete. The only things you will have to buy are radio gear, ESC and batteries.
EZ connectors included even though the instructions tell you they are not.
Seperate aileron servos.
Fast build time. I have less than 2 hours in mine and I only have to install the radio to finish up. This time includes re-covering the lower half of the fuse and the rudder with a different color.

Dislikes-
Instruction booklet leaves a lot to be desired. It is kind of vague on a few things. An experienced builder should have no problems, but beginners might be another story.
Factory applied graphics. I didn't like them on the .40 size Tiger 2, and I don't like them on this plane. Luckily, they peeled off easily.
Battery pack goes under the canopy. This is okay except you are supposed to either tape or screw down the canopy. I modified mine by hinging it at the front with tape and using a magnet and thumbtack at the rear for a latch (ala Switchback.)
Hopefully, I'll get it fiished up and flying today. If it flies as well as its big brother, this is gonna be a sweet plane. I'll post some pics when it is done, too.
Rob
Toypainter is offline Find More Posts by Toypainter
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2004, 08:32 AM
Go easy , go electric .
The Dark Side of the Moon
Joined Apr 2003
165 Posts
I have been eyeing this plane , cant wait for the flight report . After about half a dozen kits I have realized I dont like building , but thats just me .
DIAMONDBACK is offline Find More Posts by DIAMONDBACK
Old Aug 02, 2004, 03:04 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Be sure to come back from the successful maiden with some video I'd love to see it.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Aug 02, 2004, 09:33 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
Do you have some pics for us??????

Also what is the AUW?

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2004, 04:21 PM
USA, MI, Flushing
Joined Jun 2003
37 Posts
I'll post pics later tonight. I finished the build. Unfortunately it builds tail heavy. I had to add almost 2 ounces to the nose. I even rebuilt the battery mount to move the battery as far forward as possible. AUW is 18.8 oz.with the added weight. Hopefully the wind will die down tonight or tomorrow for the maiden. Sorry, I can't do video.
Rob
Old Aug 02, 2004, 07:39 PM
USA, MI, Flushing
Joined Jun 2003
37 Posts
Here the pics as promised. No maiden tonight, thunderstorms instead : (
Battery is a Kokam 700mah 3 cell. You can see the battery tray, there used to be a hole there. The next pic shows where I added the weight next to the gear box. It had to be that far forward. Blue covering is Oracover (Ultracote) which is the same as what comes on the plane. Orange and white are sign vinyl. I know it's kinda heavy, but that's what I have access to.
Rob
Old Aug 03, 2004, 07:15 AM
Methuen, MA
Joined Sep 2002
869 Posts
Nice looking plane. But please tell me you are not going to run it on that Kokam 700 pack! It will smoke in short order. Put an appropriate sized battery in that thing and you could probably get rid of all that lead up front.
Mike Tully is offline Find More Posts by Mike Tully
Old Aug 03, 2004, 04:13 PM
USA, MI, Flushing
Joined Jun 2003
37 Posts
Mike, I'll probably parallel the 700s for a 1400 mah pack. That way, I can stack them and keep the weight toward the front.
Thanks for your input.
Rob
Old Aug 03, 2004, 04:23 PM
Methuen, MA
Joined Sep 2002
869 Posts
Rob,
Is there access to the space between the battery compartment and the motor? Looks like there might be room behind the firewall. I always try to do anything to avoid ballast on a plane. Make sure to meter that motor before running. Even in a 2s configuration those cells are only good for 8.4 amps continuous. I suspect you might be quite a bit over that.
Mike Tully is offline Find More Posts by Mike Tully
Old Aug 03, 2004, 04:30 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tully
Rob,
Is there access to the space between the battery compartment and the motor? Looks like there might be room behind the firewall. I always try to do anything to avoid ballast on a plane. Make sure to meter that motor before running. Even in a 2s configuration those cells are only good for 8.4 amps continuous. I suspect you might be quite a bit over that.
Just what I was thinking Mike. Move your pack up to the firewall and you should be able to balance. Even if you have to do surgery it will be worth it!

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2004, 11:33 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,721 Posts
The motor on my Goldberg Eagle 400 ARF was loud and the gearbox vibrated very badly. How does yours run?

I'm replacing mine with a Graupner 400 motor and 2.33:1 BB gearbox. I hope you are having better success than me.

Here's the review on my CG Eagle 400.

-Lee
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Aug 05, 2004, 08:37 PM
USA, MI, Flushing
Joined Jun 2003
37 Posts
Mike, Mike, and Lee. Thanks for all your input. I gave it a try with the 2s2p 700's. Very lethargic, noisy, and disappointing. Looked it over and have a plan for a new battery tray, but it will have to wait until I get back from vacation. At least I get to take my Not- So- Slow Stick on vacation with me. Slow Stick with GWs 350 D drive and wing and tail feathers from a Switchback. Fun plane!
Thanks again guys.
Rob
Old Aug 05, 2004, 08:40 PM
USA, MI, Flushing
Joined Jun 2003
37 Posts
Oops, I forgot. I also ordered a Maxx Products ball bearing gearbox for the Tiger. Comes with 2:1, 2.5:1, and 3:1 gears and I'm going to try 8 cell KANs in it.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 11:19 AM
ChuckB
United States, CA, Santee
Joined May 2004
139 Posts
Goldberg Tiger 400

Toypainter,
I just ordered the Goldberg Tiger 400. Read your thread and was wondering what you found out about their 400 motor. I plan on using 2-pak Thunder Power 2100mah battery pak. Have you heard any other comments regarding this motor? Hope the battery pack is enough power for that engine. Would love to hear any comments from you or anyone reading this regarding the Tiger 400.
-ChuckB
ChuckB is online now Find More Posts by ChuckB
Last edited by ChuckB; Aug 22, 2004 at 06:36 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 06:57 PM
USA, MI, Flushing
Joined Jun 2003
37 Posts
Well, I finally got the Tiger modified and flew it again today. Still not overly impressed. It does fly well, very responsive, just slow and very noisy.
I made a new battery tray that fits down inside the fuelage. It is glued to the rear ends of the motor mounts and almost sits on the wing. I made an extension of the former at the rear of the cockpit to support the rear of the tray. Now the battery can be slid all the way to the back of the motor if necessary. The plane now balances without ballast with an 8 cell KAN 1050 pack. The overall weight is a couple ounces higher though.
The first flight today was near disaster. The plane would barely get off the ground, and it was all I could do to bring it back around and land. The landing was kind of hard and the landing gear flattened like a pancake, but no other damage. I decided to try a different prop in place of the stock 8x5. I had bought an APC 8x6 electric prop and installed that. Much better, but overall speed was still kind of slow. I did manage to get 6 or 7 minutes out of it and a nice, smooth landing that STILL bent the landing gear. This wire is about as strong as solder! I think the stock motor is just not a powerful enough wind or maybe it just needs to be retimed. I didn't try reversing it. I have a new Zagi reversed, balanced motor waiting for my Maxx gearbox (backordered!) Hopefully that will solve the power and noise problems. I guess I'll try to get the landing gear out without breaking anything- of course I glued it in!
I also might try a direct drive Maxx 14t cobalt motor that I have left over from an old Super Impress that I had last year. It flew that plane great on KANs and it was about the ame weight as this one.
Here are some pics of the battery tray. Hopefully you can see what I did.
Rob