HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 01, 2004, 05:26 AM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Multiplex EasyStar - Thread 9

Here it is, a brand new thread for our "rambles" about the EasyStar.
It is the logical following of thread 8:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243273
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Last edited by jcosta; Aug 01, 2004 at 05:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2004, 05:32 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Thank you Racer X. tt
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Aug 01, 2004, 06:35 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
I just ordered my second ES last night on Ebay. This one will use all the information gleaned from No 1 (bigger rudder from the start etc).

Mini AC1215/20 brushless on a Jamara 2:1 gearbox with a 7x4 prop. The offset of the gearbox is enough to be able to use the 7'' prop.

3s2000 Lipoly to be fitted - roughly the same weight as the 7x500's in the first model. The new motor and gearbox is only 5gms heavier than the Speed 400, so I expect the AUW to be identical at around 620gms. Checked the centre of gravity using the old model - no problems there.

Endless flying times with about 50% more power than the first one. I'm getting quite excited !
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Aug 01, 2004, 07:30 AM
Pass the CA
Detroit, MI
Joined May 2004
10 Posts
Well I maidened EZ* number 2 this morning. Two launches and two quick nose crunches. It zoomed up on me both times and, rookie that I am, I overcompensated and nosed it into the ground. I think it was slightly tail heavy so I'll move the cg forward. I need to pay attention to how I launch the plane too. I think I throw it too much "up" and not enough "out". I'm gonna try launching at half throttle too, the plane just moves too fast for me.

Are you still collecting votes for old pilot? If infrequent contributors such as myself are allowed a vote, I'll vote for Paddy.

Where's Mikael (Toot, toot)? Did you get your tailfeathers fixed?
paul in detroit is offline Find More Posts by paul in detroit
Old Aug 01, 2004, 07:57 AM
Australia, NSW, Mona Vale
Joined May 2002
5,435 Posts
WELL, I guess it's time I chipped in with the big One Triple Oh !

Thanks Guys for all the support and interest over the last 8 Threads.

The result of the Vote was an overwhelming 4 for Paddy against 2 for GrandPilot.

So PADDY it shall be.

I have been neglecting my No: 1 EZ*, and my No: 2 is still NIB. (Shocking) The reason for all this inattention to EZ* matters is here:-

But it's all finished now---so, back to the Easy Stars.

Cheers. Paddy.
oldpilot is online now Find More Posts by oldpilot
Old Aug 01, 2004, 10:27 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
ChrisP - I've flown the Easy Star with a prop and gearbox setup similar to yours. It climbs a lot better, but hand launching is a little tricker. You'll have to crank in a little opposite rudder prior to launching. Also you have to support the motor in the pod pretty well or it wants to rotate down.

If you think the prop might hit the tail boom you might want to notch it slightly.
Zoomzoom is offline Find More Posts by Zoomzoom
Last edited by Zoomzoom; Aug 01, 2004 at 10:31 AM.
Old Aug 01, 2004, 10:30 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
Going through some old Easy Star photos and I think this picture I posted previously is kind of funny. The various stages of the Easy Stars noses life span.
Old Aug 01, 2004, 10:42 AM
Medicine Hat, Canada
Joined May 2003
121 Posts
EasyStar Pitches Down on Full Throttle

With all the great comments on this thread I was inspired and bought an EasyStar. The only changes from a stock configuration include using a QRP reverse timed motor instead of the Permax and a 10 cell battery pack (HeCell 2/3AA 1100 ma). I have it all balanced at the 75 mm mark as a starting point.

I did the maiden flight last night, despite the winds being a little more than I would normally fly in (22 kph). The flight went really well but the only thing that concerns me is that it pitches down at full throttle. I was able to correct for it quickly on takeoff and during the flight I pulled some up elevator as I opened the throttle. It glides nicely and the elevator trim was at neutral when I landed so no problem there. A post flight photo is attached.

What would be the best way to minimize this pitch down problem? Would altering the thrust angle work? Would you have to move the angle up or down to minimize a pitch down problem? Many thanks for any suggestions!

Bill
Wildbill10269 is offline Find More Posts by Wildbill10269
Old Aug 01, 2004, 11:50 AM
Tenino WA.
Joined May 2004
1,195 Posts
Motor Mtg mods ?

Say Fellas, been lurking here for awhile, trying to read ALL the posts.. (Still have a long way to go)
getting ready to build my ES..

Are there any mods for the motor mounting, incase some time I wish to, replace the stock motor or to up grade motor???

want to try and avoid MAJOR SURGERY.

thanks Jack
CRASHED AGAIN is offline Find More Posts by CRASHED AGAIN
Old Aug 01, 2004, 12:29 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
Wildbill10269 - As TT pointed out in the last thread you might want to try a little more up thrust angle on your motor mount. Glad to hear your maiden went well
Old Aug 01, 2004, 01:42 PM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
Zoomzoom - Thanks !
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Aug 01, 2004, 02:43 PM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpilot

But it's all finished now---so, back to the Easy Stars.

Cheers. Paddy.
We want build pictures!!!!
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Last edited by jcosta; Aug 01, 2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2004, 03:23 PM
Tenino WA.
Joined May 2004
1,195 Posts
2 more questions

any body have any suggestions for other adhesives to use besides the cryo and accelorator???

Also any suggestions on brands of paint to use on the plane... All the brands I have seen have propellents that appear to melt the foam..

thanks a lot fellas..

Jack
CRASHED AGAIN is offline Find More Posts by CRASHED AGAIN
Old Aug 01, 2004, 03:32 PM
Medicine Hat, Canada
Joined May 2003
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomzoom
Wildbill10269 - As TT pointed out in the last thread you might want to try a little more up thrust angle on your motor mount. Glad to hear your maiden went well
I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Bill
Wildbill10269 is offline Find More Posts by Wildbill10269
Old Aug 01, 2004, 03:54 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Jack, welcome. There are alternatives for the glue, Pro bond or Gorilla glue, both polyurethane glue. Which will need to be clamped with rubber bands, or Med or Thick CA with no kicker, gives a little time to get every thing straight and true, again rubber bands to hold it together, and you can put some kicker on the seams after it is together, which will turn yellow at first, but will return to clear. Let both of these methods sit for at least 4-6 hours to dry.

Motor mounting methods are abundent, the simplest is to use double sided tape or silicone or shoo goo, which can be cut gently with a hobby knife and removed. Leave some slack in the wires to be able to pull them out some to change motors. Don't let them get glued to the channel.

Zoomzoom uses a pvc pipe (thinwall) and modifies the inside bumps on the nacelle.

I use two aluminum straps that are formed from thin alum. sheet and bent to fit, can be taped on with strapping tape.

Here is a link to the one I made:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...nt#post2072679
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Closed Thread