Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 01, 2004, 12:47 AM
Gearhead gone Flyin'!
Baytown, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2004
149 Posts
Yippee!
New guy here... And as usual, a few ???

Hi everyone out there in R/C land! My name is Clay Wood, and I am from a little town east of Houston, Texas called Highlands. The usuals are, married, kids, dogs, cats, work and hobbies. My hobbies for the last umpteen years has been cars. Mainly Mopar cars (50's to be exact, but more on that later...). I use to fly a small Cox Trainer Cessna years ago (cheap RTF kit my parent bought for me as a x-mas gift almost 20 years ago), but never really got the hang of it. Then my cars came. Even before I could drive I had one to tinker on. Current stable consists of a 57 DeSoto, a 58 Plymouth (yeah, the Christine car) and the LAST 61 DeSoto ever assembled (you can see em at http://www.mofins.com). Years went by, and work and kids became the focus of my time. But I always found time for my cars. Then on Christmas Eve, 1999, my life changed. We were heading to my folks house to celebrate the holiday event, when we were rear-ended while sitting at a stoplight. No one was seriously injured, other than me. My back went nuts. Fast forward to Feb. of this year, and I was having a lumbar fusion performed. Since heavy lifting is out of the question, my resto days for my cars are on hold, so I figured now was a good time to finally re-visit my love for plane's, and see if I could finally figure out the R/C plane.

Which leads me to my first question! TA DA!! I have done a good bit of reading online since my surgery about which plane to get and what to buy and blah blah blah blah..... Seems everyone has something different to say for equipment, but about 60-70% would agree a GWS Tiger Moth is the BEST way to start out. So, after all that reading, I went and purchased a.... SIG Curtis Jenny. Just had to! Neat looking plane, and easy to "doll-up". But, she's never left the ground. I have no idea what to get for an introduction setup (i.e. transmitter, receiver, servos, battery, etc....). that, and I don't know where to buy from. There are a few hobby store near me, but most are a decent drive, and the prices there are much higher than what I have seen online. I would LOVE to get one of the Tiger Moth's for a first try, but don't know where to start. I have some great idea's to "doll" that one up too (I'm a graphic designer that started my own Mopar related business(http://www.mocarz.com), but have since shut most of it down to do contract work. I do, however, have the ability to make profession grade t-shirts [heat transfer, but not the cheapie kind], and also have a vinyl cutter I plan on using for decals and masks to help "pretty-i-fy" the planes. Let me know if you need something, I would be more than happy to help!). So, I would really appreciate knowing what to buy, where to buy, who's gonna buy for me, and how best to start.

Well, since THAT was the lengthiest introduction I think I have ever given on a message board, I will stop. But, very glad I found this place, and hope to make it my new home! Looking forward to adding where I can, but learning as well. Any help on my plight is greatly appreciated!

PS, here's a pic of my Jenny. She needs a stable mate, would the Moth be it?

Take care all and Keep `em in the Sky!
~MyDeSoto~
MyDeSoto is offline Find More Posts by MyDeSoto
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2004, 01:03 AM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
Nice looking job on the Jenny. And I enjoyed reading your intro. My father had an older Desoto for many years. He restored part and had part done in a specialty shop. I don't know the exact year, perhaps a 49. A big car with a sloping roofline and inline six with overdrive. Headlights on top of the fenders. Took it on a trip once. Was great riding auto. No a/c of course. I'm not going to offer advise, not that experienced with electrics myself. This is a great place to visit and learn. Welcome
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Old Aug 01, 2004, 01:13 AM
Tree? That's a Tx weed!
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2003
2,434 Posts
http://www.newcreations-rc.com/
They are in Willis TX, about 50? miles north of Houston.
Give Kirk a call - he has good stuff and GREAT advice.
Was in Houston (from San Antonio) once and made the trip up there just to see the person I have sent so much $ too!

Welcome!
Crash
crashsiegel is offline Find More Posts by crashsiegel
Old Aug 01, 2004, 01:22 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,488 Posts
Clay,

Welcome to the RC Groups forums!

It's great to see that you've been doing your research, and that you've opted for a simpler model to learn to fly with. The Beginners forum has a sticky listing some of the best trainers around.

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Aug 01, 2004, 01:35 AM
Gearhead gone Flyin'!
Joined Jul 2004
149 Posts
Thank you all for the warm welcome here as well as the helpful advice!

Mode1,The DeSoto's, well, they are my passion, as the name implies. But I have always had a great love of planes too.

Crash, I'll defiantly give them a ring! They are not to far from me (about a hours drive round trip or so). Even better that they have a website so I know what they carry BEFORE I get there!

Tim, thanks for the heads-up. I breezed through there earlier before signing up, and basically was just reassuring my convictions on which plane to start with.

Thanks again all and keep the info coming! The more I can learn and more places to talk to, the better!

BTW, anyone have any suggestions on a good starter Transmitter?

~MyDeSoto~
Old Aug 01, 2004, 01:38 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Clay,
Welcome to the boards! I can appreciate your work and love of those cars. I have been a Mustang nut most of my life and have owned, rebuilt, and raced about 8 of them. Just like you, I ruptured several disks in my back as far back as 1994. I am still suffering and have only had 1 surgery. Unfortunately, that one surgery ended my Air Force pilot career so I now am relegated to teaching the new pilots in simulators and academics. Actually, pretty nice job and I can use my vast experience in a positive and meaningful way. I feel your pain in the back...and I think you will find flying RC models is a wonderful hobby to do. It is both very challenging and rewarding at the same time. There is so much you can do and learn with model aircraft.
You will find everyone has their favorite recommendations here about equipment, cost, who to buy from, etc. Some of it depends on how much you are comfortable in spending, how much work you want to do, what type of flying interests you, etc.
I have flown these things for over 30 years now and am settling on electrics for now. They require so much thought and preparation compared to the gas models. They are a real challenge!
As for recommendations.............I certainly am not one to push for a specific company since I have ordered and used hundreds of them, but I do have my regular favorites.
As for equipment...I have ordered from www.towerhobbies.com for over 20 years now. Great service, fast, and their website offers some real helpful info. For instance, if you type in an item in the search box, or bring up an particular item, the item's screen will describe the item in detail, show a picture, and then after scrolling down, will include a technical info sheet listing the specs, uses, additional items needed, possible substitutions, etc. That alone, has helped me many times to not forget a required item needed for my application. They offer very competitive prices and carry almost anyting you could ever need...EXCEPT electric specialty items. They do carry lot's of electrical items, just not some of the more less common or unusual stuff.
As for aircraft...I have found that the GWS foam airplanes are a real bargain. They are good flyers, relatively cheap, come fairly complete, and available everywhere. They also look like real planes. There is a ton of info on them here in these forums. Some good intro models are the Tiger Moth, the Beaver, Slow Stick. Those models have so much info on them here...you could spend months reading all the threads.
We Fly the GWS warbirds and have a blast with them. They are fast, manueverable, and downright scary at times, but also repairable, cheap, and lot's of fun. Of course, without a lot of work, they will not look near as nice as that Jenny of yours! But how would you like to learn (and crash) that beautiful plane anyway?!
You will definitely need to invest in micro size equipment if you go the electric route. We order Great Planes company micro 4 channel receivers and use Tower Hobbies brand micro servos. Our transmitters are also Tower Hobbies since they sell them seperately.
Keep reading lot's of posts here, asking more questions, and you will find what you need. Glad you are here...someone who understands about backs!!!
Take care,
Ken
Also from a little town in TEXAS We are on the border 150 miles due west of San Antonio. Wish I spoke spanish!!!
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2004, 06:04 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Give Kirk a call to make sure he'll be around, and drive up one morning. You'll make a new friend, and come away late in the day with more than one new model, I'm sure..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Aug 01, 2004, 01:12 PM
Gearhead gone Flyin'!
Joined Jul 2004
149 Posts
CSI, Thanks a million for the encouragement! Yes, I too can "feel your pain" as well. On a good note, the doctor I went to (first Dr.David A Cezch, a great guy and really listens and he referred me to Dr.Darrell Hanson who performed the operation) did a very good job. I am walking again, can sleep at night almost pain free (although I am on the Duragesic-patches, if you don't already have them, might want to look into them) and have full function of my arms again. Granted, my back does still hurt, and only every now and then as bad as it did before.

As for the planes, thanks as well for the input! I know asking a loaded question like "What would YOU use" opens up discussions for just about anything, but figured most would agree or push me towards the Moth as a first flyer. And yes, I was hoping to start in electrics. My first years ago was a Nitro, and I personally thought it was to much of a headache to get started. Make no mistake, they have their place, I just don't think it's with me right now. Maybe if I get good at flying and build a Super Fortress or something.

Andy, I plan on calling tomorrow (Monday) so we'll see how it goes! Although, I have found the FOR SALE/WANTED section here, and may buy from there too! What an AWESOME GROUP!!!

~MyDeSoto~

PS, Already started working on Mod'ing my Jenny. I am creating an instrument cluster for the dash, and creating some small call numbers with the vinyl cutter. Already tons of fun "Pretty-i-fy-ing" these things!
Last edited by MyDeSoto; Aug 01, 2004 at 01:19 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2004, 01:18 PM
Tree? That's a Tx weed!
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2003
2,434 Posts
I like the JR 421 as a basic radio (have 2 of them for buddy box operations).
It is a 4 channel with computer mixing built in.
It can fly the regular planes, then fly a wing using elevon mixing and it has flaperon mixing.
And it has 2 model memories.
I usually have a regular plane - like Big-T - and a wing - like a Zagi or Wally - set up.

I also Really like Berg rx's. See here:
http://www.rc-direct.com/Berg.htm
These have worked for me were name brand rx's failed.

Your mileage may vary,
Crash
Old Aug 01, 2004, 02:07 PM
Tree? That's a Tx weed!
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2003
2,434 Posts
I case you are interested here is a pic of me & Big-T.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254185
Crash
Old Aug 01, 2004, 02:14 PM
Gearhead gone Flyin'!
Joined Jul 2004
149 Posts
Crash, Nice looking charger setup! If I get the hang of flying, I'm gonna have to build one of those too! Although, mine has got to fit "neatly" in the trunk of my DeSoto. It's the car I prefer to drive to the flying feild, unless the Moth doesnt need vast spaces, then I can use my front yard (1/2 acre with no fences, and other side is another 1/2 acre no fence with a tree outline. They should keep the wind off eh?).

~MyDeSoto~
Old Aug 01, 2004, 02:16 PM
Gearhead gone Flyin'!
Joined Jul 2004
149 Posts
BTW Crash, my entire family will be in San Antonio in September for a Family Vacation (Sea World, Alamo, river walk, etc...) and I was hoping to visit some of the hobby shops up there as well as one of my favorite wrecking yards (parts run for the cars). Any suggestion who to visit and who to steer clear of?

~MyDeSoto~
Old Aug 01, 2004, 07:21 PM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
MyDeSoto, Take some time and go to New Creations, but be sure to get some good directions on getting there. he is out in the middle of nowhere with just a littlebitty sign nailed on a tree last time I was there. Kind of hard to find, but well worth the trip. If he ain't got it, it ain't been made yet.
mikefast is online now Find More Posts by mikefast
Old Aug 01, 2004, 10:24 PM
Tree? That's a Tx weed!
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2003
2,434 Posts
MyDeSoto,
My favorite LHS is:
2nd Chance Hobbies, 210-945-8221
http://www.sanantoniorc.com/2ndchance/
Jim Rice has good prices and GREAT advice.
It's a small place (a lot of small electric) but people like to hang out there. My wife has the number in her cell phone speed dial.

Also, I visit Rebel Hobbies, 210-340-0150
http://www.rebelhobbies.com/
A little more pricy.

And Hobby Center, 210-735-4218
http://www.sanantoniorc.com/page/hobbycenter.htm
Not so much electric but improving.

This page has a lot of info about the SA R/C scene.
http://www.sanantoniorc.com/

Shot me a PM when you are closer to visiting.
Bernard "Crash" Siegel
Old Aug 01, 2004, 11:25 PM
Gearhead gone Flyin'!
Joined Jul 2004
149 Posts
Quote:
Shot me a PM when you are closer to visiting.
Bernard "Crash" Siegel
Will do Crash! Although, I am up there from time to time on my own to hit a few yards in the area for car parts. Granted, since surgery, car rides have been on hold. Now that I am finally getting up and moving again, I plan on visiting some more.

Thanks again and take care,
~MyDeSoto~