HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2004, 10:32 PM
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Joined Jan 2004
640 Posts
"3/4 Cat": Micro F-14 w/ EDF-40; FFF

I have decided to start a brand new thread regarding my micro F-14 or as I call it the "3/4 Cat". I guess this thread could go in the foamies section, but it is a jet. The previous thread focused on developing a larger pusher version and then the micro version. The material being used is Dow Fanfold. I mihgt order some depron and see if I can get the weight down even more.

Last week I was able to find the CG and get a decent test flight. The main problem was a torque roll which was caused by incorrect offset on the EDP-50. I am going with an EDF-40 which will virtually eliminate this problem. The plane does fly, but it needs a few mods which I will address in the coming threads.

The version I am working on has a redesigned airfoil and will feature tailerons. The goal is to create a very stable, but good performance model on a limited budget. Flight instruction barely pays the bills. I am also following the thread about this new Medusa brushless motor that will be a replacement for the EDP/EDF motors.

Feel free to chime in with any suggestions. I plan to post the plans at some point.

Specs:

WS: 19"
Length: 19"
Motor: GWS EDF-40 (not the high volt)
RX: Hitec Feather
Servos: Cirrus CS-10
ESC: Pixie 7
Battery: Kokom 340
Controls: Taileron
AUW: 4-5 ozs
pylot2b is offline Find More Posts by pylot2b
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2004, 10:58 PM
2thFxr
Sevierville, Tennessee
Joined Jan 2002
779 Posts
pics?
Doc Dyer is offline Find More Posts by Doc Dyer
Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:13 PM
Joined Jan 2004
640 Posts
Here is the first round of pics showing the fuse and fan mount as well as the new undercamber airfoil and the taileron mounts. I am using low temp hot glue for the bulk of the construction with a little epoxy and probond in the high stress areas.
Old Aug 01, 2004, 12:09 AM
Joined Jan 2004
640 Posts
Another round of Pics

Another round of pics. So far full airframe is at 1.3 oz. I the balsa accent pieces shown are 1/16", those will be changed to 1/32" balsa as soon as get some more. The forward fuse will get some 1/32 reinforcement as well.

The tailerons are made from 1/16" balsa that has been laminated with a cross grain layer. I used 3/16" plastic tubing as the taileron bushings and 1/8 CF rod as the spindle. They are attached using a plastic washer and dubro wheel collars. I decided to use some micro dubro control horns as well.

I also found out today that thunder power is coming out with a 430 lipo that weighs less than my Kokam 340. Another option to shed weigh. More details to come. Hope to have all the equipment mounted by tomorrow afternoon,
Old Aug 01, 2004, 12:13 AM
Joined Jan 2004
640 Posts
I haven't had a chance to remove the print from the fanfold yet. This one might even get a paint job to keep it from crashing.
Old Aug 01, 2004, 01:25 AM
Joined Sep 2002
373 Posts
What kind of paint are you using that makes planes not crash...? I want some ....
ssyed is offline Find More Posts by ssyed
Old Aug 01, 2004, 01:33 AM
Joined Jan 2004
640 Posts
I hope it will reverse some of Murphy's laws of R/C. Wishful thinking I guess.
Old Aug 01, 2004, 11:02 PM
Joined Jan 2004
640 Posts
Ready for Maiden

I have finished my "3/4 Cat v2.0". I hope to maiden it tomorrow in between rain showers and hope the winds a tropical storm strength yet.(VA is going to get grazed by TS Alex). Final AUW with a TP 830 is 5.1oz. I decided to go with the bigger battery for balance reasons.

I have added some 1/64 ply partly for looks and strength. I have moved the esc as far from the Rx to help tone down the glitch problems I have had in the past. The fan looks like it as more than enough clearance, so it should get plenty of air. I hope this one works out better then the previous version.

Here are the pics!
Old Aug 02, 2004, 12:47 AM
Got Choppers?
Mesa, AZ
Joined Dec 2003
696 Posts
Looks awesome! Did you draw up a set of plans by any chance? Or make a swing wing?

Dave
Air Force One is offline Find More Posts by Air Force One
Old Aug 02, 2004, 09:56 AM
Joined Jan 2004
640 Posts
I have the plans pretty much ready to go, but I want to get the maiden voyage over with before I release them. I had a CG issue with my previous version. I want to test it with the new cg point. I it works, I just need to add it to the plans.
Old Aug 02, 2004, 12:24 PM
Got Choppers?
Mesa, AZ
Joined Dec 2003
696 Posts
Looking forward to it. I have a stack of FFF sitting here waiting to be turned into a plane.

Dave
Air Force One is offline Find More Posts by Air Force One
Old Aug 02, 2004, 07:36 PM
Joined Jan 2004
640 Posts
I guess I will post what I have in the way of plans. I will post the dxf version to make it easier.

I was able to test fly the finished model today. The CG issue has been solved. I moved the fan closer to the CG. But the edf 40 does not have enough thrust combined with the small wing area. It has a nice solid glide upon handlaunch, but she just sinks to the ground. I am going to order a cd rom motor and convert the edf-40. This should give it some extra oomph. Also thrust ratio will be at minimum 1:1. Mine weighed in at 4.8 ozs with a TP860.

I am going to turn my attention to a larger version with twin EDF-50's. I can get the wing loading down with a bigger plane. So I am going to backburner this project until I get the new components. Hopefully someone will build one and add some new ideas for the project.
Old Aug 02, 2004, 07:41 PM
Joined Jan 2004
640 Posts
Here are the plans
Old Aug 09, 2004, 02:08 AM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
AWESOME! You could try some smaller servos to kill some more weight. What was the draw on your motor? Seems like the 860's would be a little too much if weight is a concern. I love my Irate cell, especially the latest thicker ones.

BTW, thanks for the plans. Now I need to find another way to open the file since my autodesk "sample" has expired

Justin
roccobro is offline Find More Posts by roccobro
Old Aug 09, 2004, 09:22 AM
Joined Jan 2004
640 Posts
If you can still find it, there is a free version of turbocad available. I think it is called turbocad learning addition. I am in the process off adding another EDF-40 so it it will be a twin. As far as servos if I go any smaller I'll have to get magnetic accuators or I might order some cirrus 4.9's. What size is your Irate pack? I am looking for an alternative pack that is light yet still has some decent duration. I will post the twin version plans soon.