HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2004, 06:15 PM
aka: Dances with Buzzards
TX
Joined Jun 2002
454 Posts
2-Cycle Fuel/Oil Mix Quandry

I now have three 2-cycle yard tools that operate on 2 different fuel/oil mix ratios. A 50:1 edger, a 40:1 weedwacker and a 40:1 blower. The trouble is using a gallon of gas for each mix within a years time even with stabilizer added.... I just don't use that much. I would like to get to one can and one mix if possible. Any input to the following options would be appreciated.

Option 1 - Run all three at 50:1
Option 2 - Run all three at 40:1
Option 3 - Run all three at 45:1
Option 4 - Mix smaller quanties in separate containers (least favorite option)

Everything runs great and the difference in ounces of oil seems slight to me. It would be nice to rid myself of an extra gas can. Comments anyone???
ICTHRMLS is offline Find More Posts by ICTHRMLS
Old Jul 31, 2004, 06:38 PM
Joined Apr 2001
428 Posts
Go with what the oil manufacture suggests.
Engine manufacturers quote specs from non-synthetic, non-blended parafin base oils.
Most oils are blended in some way and give their recommendations.

I have had excellent results with Optima 50/1 synthetic in all my r/c gassers, weedwacker, blower. The mix ratio cup is built into the bottle. I get it at a local lawnmower/tractor store.
mpj220 is offline Find More Posts by mpj220
Old Jul 31, 2004, 06:52 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
The general rule of thumb is that using a little too much oil is better than not using enough. While I doubt an engine could tell the difference between 45 and 50 to one I suggest running 40 to 1 in all three just to be safe. Too much oil will foul spark plugs a tad quicker but has no other bad effects as far as I know.
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Old Jul 31, 2004, 09:13 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I say 40:1 - the blower will be run flat out longer than the others. Go with what it needs, which is a touch more than the edger anyway..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Aug 01, 2004, 11:39 AM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Mar 1999
1,172 Posts
I use BelRay MC-1 synthetic 2 cycle oil at 50:1 in all my 'yard' small engines including chain saw,blower,weedeater,and edger.I started using it in the 70s in racing motorcycles.I went from 20:1 to 50:1 in them.I have had great results using this oil.My bikes would run cleaner and cooler with the reduced amount of MC-1.There is probably a better synthetic available after so many years,but I continue to use MC-1 because it has worked for me,and I like the smell.

Available at M/C shops.
Hammer is online now Find More Posts by Hammer
Old Aug 02, 2004, 01:29 PM
This space for rent
Peachtree City, Ga USA
Joined Apr 2000
810 Posts
Just as a side note, be aware that as you add oil to the mix the engine will run leaner (more oil = less fuel). Too much oil and you can burn out an engine by running over lean. I really doubt that your in any danger, but it is something to consider in the "more is better" argument...

Steven
Steven D is offline Find More Posts by Steven D