HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2002, 02:48 AM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Tell Us About Your DAW Schweizers

Hey Folks

I'm always reading delightful threads in these groups about such venerable airplanes as Zagis, PicoJets, Terrys, Push-E Cats - the list goes on and on...

Don't get me wrong -- this is all good. We all love to read about experiences with planes that we own. We also really love hearing about your experiences with planes we may be considering buying ourseleves. This is all good and let's keep it up

I'd like to encourage any of you that are interested, to add to this thread, with your stories of your own Dave's Aircraft Works Schweizer 1-26s (either the 2-meter or the HLG).

Personally, this plane has had a profound impact on me as it's made me a much better pilot. I started with the Push-E Cat and I had an excellent time learning with that excellent plane. God must have been pointing me to the next great adventure by inspiring me to get an interest in the DAW Schweizer 1-26 2-meter, in that I've never had so much fun and learned so much in such a short time. I began flying mine in April of 2001, and I'm now just getting back to flying my Push-E Cat (the slope lift in my area is pitiful right now).

So you can see that I'm totally excited about this plane, yet I'm also totally surprised to not see any of those interesting threads discussing the DAW Schweizer 1-26 as the main topic. Sure, I've read threads where someone asks for a recommendation on a cheap versatile sailplane, and the 1-26 is recommended -- that does happen once in a while.

I'm encouraging you to elevate the 1-26 to the main topic. I'm hoping that more people will learn of this wonderful plane, and I'm also hoping to get a fun dialogue going with current 1-26 owners.

Let's share all of our experiences. Give us those funny "flying with the redtail hawks" stories, those "slapped it back together with packing tape and continued to fly" stories, those stories about what a great guy Dave Sanders is (have you ever flown with him?), and let's share those stories about how we dorked it in and repaired it in unique ways, even how we kit-bashed it to make the polyhedral wing a two-piece. These are great fodder for the cheapskate sailplane addict like myself. I know there are more of you out there -- I'm not the only one

Reply to this thread with your stories. Even if you don't own one, but have seen one fly, or someone let you fly theirs -- we want to hear from you.

Photos are cool too! ;-)

I'm not going to bore you with my stories right now -- I'll step aside and encourage you folks to jump in right now. I look forward to reading them all.

Happy flying ;-)

webguyjv

P.S.: I've tried to attach a "just finished building it" photo of my 1-26. I hope it is visible ;-)
webguyjv is offline Find More Posts by webguyjv
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2002, 03:57 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
just got mine ready to fly... and had to replace my broken remote. i have the 1.5m version, with polyhedral (I'm new to sailplanes). Mines all in red ultracote with white cockpit and white and blue arrows on the underside of the wing for orientation. I'll post a pic soon. All I have to do is put in the crystal to match my new remote, reconnect the rx, and it's ready to go!

All the guys I've seen that have this plane at my field got it after they already knew how to fly composite hlg's, so they did a quick and messy job or building it and don't fly them much at all.. can you really thermal that well with a foamie this heavy? I think mines about 15oz auw.

also, any tips on where and how to put a hook for high-start launch? if I have a 50ft dropoff, do i need one?
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Jan 27, 2002, 12:11 PM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Hello Opualuan :)

Hello Opualuan

>just got mine ready to fly...
This is indeed exciting news -- you're going to love this plane ;-)

>i have the 1.5m version, with polyhedral
I have seen many of the HLG version, and of them, I've seen about 50-50 polyhedral vs. dihedral(alieron) config. Most of the folks that I've seen with the polyhedral config. are either just learning and they want a gentle trainer, or they're veterans that want a lazy flyer to allow them to relax after a stressful day I've heard nothing but good things about the HLG with the polyhedral config.

>Mines all in red ultracote with white cockpit and white and blue arrows on the underside of the wing for orientation...
Sounds nice. I can't wait to see the photos ;-)

BTW, with my first plane (the Push-E Cat and now with the Schweizer 1-26 2-meter, I've decided to rencer striking color schemes on the underside of the wing. I did it for exactly the same reason you used the arrows -- for orientation. With my Push-E Cat, I remember the early days of losing orienation when the plane was flying towards me, and I also remember some low visibility situations (sunset, overcast, etc...) where I lost orientation. This wild color layout on the underside really helps me -- even today

>All the guys I've seen that have this plane at my field got it after they already knew how to fly composite hlg's, so they did a quick and messy job or building it and don't fly them much at all...
Yes, I've seen some veteran pilots that bring their 1-26s along simply as a basher or a lazy flyer, or maybe for when someone comes up and wants to combat. These folks wisely leave their expensive hotliners on the ground and get the 1-26s dirty

>can you really thermal that well with a foamie this heavy?...
Oh yeah, baby My 1-26 2-meter with ailerons thermals incredibly well. I mostly fly on the slope, so the slope lift has usually helped me to reach the bottom of thermals, and then its all up from there. I was realy fortunate to meet a veteran piot at this slope site, that flew all foamies, and spent most of his time flying his 1-26 HLG/aileron. This guy taught me most everything I know about flying with ailersons -- what a great guy! I can remember numerous occasions where we were flying and chatting, and we'd catch these boomer thermals. One time I got so high it scared me and I forced the plane to descend. On another occasion, we were thermalling and my buddy went into a cloud and panicked for a few seconds as he couldn't see his plane. He managed to make visual contact and everything was OK. The 1-26 HLG (in my experience) thermals perfectly. Sure it's heavier than many of the thermal ships out there, but I've found that it still works very well.

>also, any tips on where and how to put a hook for high-start launch?
Yes -- hers' what you do. Look in your instruction manual and find the phone number for Dave's Aircraft Works. Start a dialogue with Dave Sanders. He's a great guy and if you can get him on the phone, he's always delighted to give you advice. I know that he'll give you the best tips on installing your launch hook. If you're ever in the Southern California area with your airplane, call him and you can arrange to meet him at his flying site. He's a lot of fun to fly with as he usually brings out his new creations and tests them at his favorite flying sites.

>if I have a 50ft dropoff, do i need one?
In my opinion, this dropoff is plenty high. The key here is, do you ever get winds that blow firectly to the face of the dropoff? In other words, if you're standing at the top of the dropoff and you can feel wind blowing in your face, throw your 1-26 HLG directly into the wind and it will likely go up.

Before you try to fly at your dropoff site, make sure you go to a moderate sized grassy area (a small city park, etc...) and glide test the plane by throwing it gently and acting like your practicing landings. At first it may seem boring, but this is really important to check out your planes balance, etc... The DAW 1-26 HLG instruction manual has instructions on doing this.

Also remember to range check your transmitter but putting the antennna down and testing you controls while walking away from your plane (while it's sitting on the ground). Walk a good 100 feet away or so. As long as the surfaces move like they're supposed to, your radio system should work fine in the air.

Hope my advice is helpful to you. Make sure to call Dave Sanders -- you'll be happy you did

Happy flying ;-)

webguyjv
Old Jan 28, 2002, 12:07 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
794 Posts
I have the HLG version and am very happy with it. I set it up with dihedral only and ailerons for roll control.I've found it easy to fly,(it's only my second plane...first was Zagi THL) I use them both for slope flying and have had a great time with them....On the "hill I go to they are the most popular model (most common I mean) that is, both the 2 meter and the HLG....almost everyone that slopes there has a Zagi sloper and a Dave's 1-26. The landing zone at the hill consits of a road where the cars might not stop or the rocky hillside full of cactus,mesquite trees and cholla...all pretty prickly stuff so having foam planes is a definite asset.......

Jim
me11owman is offline Find More Posts by me11owman
Old Jan 28, 2002, 12:59 PM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Hello Jim (me11owman) ;-)

Thanks for your Schweizer story -- as with all of them, it's a good one

Yes, they're incredibly versatile. I was flying one week ago in some pre-storm slope lift and I was tempting a small group of buzzrds after me. They were intrigued but lost interest when I began chasing them. I got a bit punchy and decided to do some loops and rolls to show off to them. On the last roll, I panicked, lost control, and did a spiral into the ground -- OUCH!!!

This was my third spar break. My plane has been through a lot with my lack of flying skills. Dave told me about the "1/8-inch plywood splint and epoxy" trick. Yesterday, I flew with the redtail hawks at one of our SF Bay slope sites (Coyote Hills Regional Park) and it seems as good as new.

What a delight it is to fly this plane ;-)

Thanks for your account. Have a great day and Happy Flying

webguyjv
Old Jan 28, 2002, 02:06 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
hey, webguy, I'm in san jose... you ever fly at rancho? maybe I can fly with you or you can fly with me some time, make sure my i-26 is trimmed out right... I'm new to sailplanes, I could use experienced help!
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Jan 28, 2002, 05:49 PM
Crash test dummy
Atascadero, CA
Joined Dec 2000
100 Posts
Hey webguy, If I didn't know better I'd swear you were getting commission on these things.
Svengali is offline Find More Posts by Svengali
Old Jan 28, 2002, 08:01 PM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Svengali ;-)

Hey Svengali ;-)

I wish that were the case

I was laid off from my last job and I was out of work for 4 months. I just got a new job recently, but I sure wish Dave would have given me some money for all th eplugs I've given him. Sadly that is not the case ;-)

I'm a cheap so-and-so, so if you see my 1-26, you'll see that it looks like it's been through several wars with no repair -- BUT IT STILL FLIES GREAT!!!

I started this thread (as I mentioned in the first message) simply to point out a plane that I think is under-rated and does not get much press in the discussion groups. I have read so many threads dedicated to this plane or that plane, and they're all very interesting, and yet I can't imagine why I've never seen one dedicated to the 1-26.

Hope that explains my enthusiasm, Svengali ;-)

Have a great day and Happy Flying

webguyjv
Old Jan 28, 2002, 10:43 PM
jjr
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Joined Oct 2001
8 Posts
I have had a blast-26 HLG

webguyjv thanks for the thread. I have really enjoyed my 1-26 HLG. I can really relax with this plane and take some "chances", as I'm pretty confident that it can take most any abuse. It has been a great plane with which to learn how to fly at the slope.

I most recently flew mine at the glider-port at Sunset State Beach in Santa Cruz County. I usually fly over at Mission Peak in Fremont. Is that your local slope?

Jeff
jjr is offline Find More Posts by jjr
Old Jan 29, 2002, 12:28 AM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Hello Jeff ;-)

Great to hear from another happy DAW 1-26 owner

Yes, I live in Fremont, CA but I find myself flying most often at Cal State Hayward (it's free on weekends but the lift is a bit directional) and Coyote Hills Regional Park (lots of flyable directions but it costs $4.00 to get in).

A site that is new to me is Del Valle Regional Park in Livermore. I've met some really nice people there and I recently learned how exciting the less-frequented east slope is -- WOW!!!

I visited your site a few times but only climbed the hill once -- I'm kind of lazy. The Doc has ordered me to lose some weight this year so I think I'll try to climb your hill more often. The one time I went to the top, the winds seem to be coming from the Northwest and I had a hard time with the 1-26.

I have only entered via the Stanfod Avenue staging area for the Ohlone Trail. I have been there on a few other occasions to practice gliding from up by the lower wind sock. I mostly practiced landings there as I knew I should have hiked up to the top of the hill. One day, from that wind sock, I flew my electric Push-E Cat and had a really nice time.

The views at your site are spectacular. I'll bet it will snow there tonight ;-)

Oh yes -- I think my all-time favorite flying was the one and only time I flew at Sunset State Beach. I only had about six months under my belt with the 1-26 at that point, but I still had an awesome time flying over the ocean. The lift there is wonderful. The only downside is that I only landed in "the box" about 10% of the time. I had a hard time negotiating the rotor on the back side and landed most often in the scrub brush.

If you're ever going to San Diego, bring your 1-26 and visit the Torrey Pines Gulls eastern site in Poway. The flying is from a narrow ridge, but the lift is consistent and strong. The Gulls are a really nice club as well -- realy good people ;-)

If you ever want to hook up at a Bay Area site, send me an e-mail message at "webguyjv@yahoo.com".

Hey opualuan -- I would enjoy meeting you and checking out your 1-26. Send me an e-mail message and we can coordinate to meet at Rancho -- I've never been there, but as I recall, it's near Cupertino. Since I just got a job, my flying schedule has returned to weekends only -- but it's good to be working again ;-)

Happy Flying ;-)

webguyjv
Old Jan 29, 2002, 12:33 AM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Svengali -- I'm Slow on the Uptake ;-)

Svengali -- you're right.

I didn't catch your reference as it was to subtle for my slow wit. I'm going to have to lay off the smileys for a while. Maybe I'll use them every three messages from now on. You can't just jump into these things (smiley).

Have a great day, Sven (darn! I wanted to do another one!)

webguyjv
Old Jan 29, 2002, 10:59 AM
Crash test dummy
Atascadero, CA
Joined Dec 2000
100 Posts
Sorry, I just couldn't resist the tease. Regarding the 1-26, I agree. A friend of mine has the HLG version and it is pretty versatile. It'll slope well and seems to fly in (relatively) light lift, which is especially good considering its "bounceability". It's also a good aileron/rudder/elevator trainer. In his case my friend is coming from learning on a Zagi 3C, and that third axis of control opens up a whole host of possibilities.

Cheers!

p.s. I was born in Fremont, and learned to fly at Coyote hills in '84 or so. I saw someone fly an SR-7 there (who knows, maybe it was Bob Martin himself?) and have one (that I have never had the guts to fly).
Old Jan 29, 2002, 02:49 PM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
SR-7?

Ah Svengali, you got me again (smiley)

I spent the last half of my lunchbreak trying to find a photo of the Bob Martin SR-7. I found lots of references to it, but no photos. Darn!

I'll bet it must be a sweet looking slope machine. If you ever find a Web page, send me the URL as I'd love to look it over.

Yes, Fremont is a pretty nice city. I guess I'm a bit in the doldrums pertaining to this lousy sloping weather we're having now. I need to venture out and find some good east-facing slope sites. I'm hoping that the little DAW Dragonette Micro HLG I'm currently building will help me to get some winter stick time. At 5.5 oz., it's supposed to fly in almost no lift (but that's DAW marketing speaking).

Thanks for your story on the 1-26. It's nice to know that it's so well thought of.

Have a great day and Happy Flying ;-)

webguyjv
Old Apr 30, 2002, 03:32 PM
E-Flyer
Clemson, SC and Roanoke, Virginia
Joined Apr 2002
44 Posts
To tell the truth, I'm not as impressed as you all seem to be. I have a 1-26 2M, which my dad built for me. We can't get the covering to stick, so it doesn't look all that great. Also, it's VERY heavy for being such a small plane, and doesn't seem to fly all that well. On the up side, it is extremely durable. On its first flight, I spiraled it straight into the ground and it simply bounced back with a very minor broken rudder. Put it out of comission for the day, but it was fixed very easily. Just my impressions of the plane. Overall, a dissapointment, but at least it's durable.

Stephen
slinges is offline Find More Posts by slinges
Old Apr 30, 2002, 03:55 PM
Crash test dummy
Atascadero, CA
Joined Dec 2000
100 Posts
What kind of covering are you using? Did you let the 3M-77 get tacky before covering it? I've covered many foamies with a variety of materials, but never had trouble getting the covering to stick before.

Being foam, it will be heavier than a built-up plane would be. What did yours come out to?

What kind of problems are you having WRT its flying characteristics? Maybe you need to adjust the C/G?