SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 30, 2004, 07:02 PM
Orlando Int, Florida, United States
Joined Dec 2003
1,196 Posts
Ace Simple 400 build thread, pics, or advice

Guys,

I picked up one of these from a friend and was wondering if there any modifications that should or need to be done to the plane when building. I searched the archives but didn't see any build threads. I know the plane has been out for some time and its a proven performer. I plan to install a Mega or Himax 2815 with Lipos.

Mac8
Mac8 is offline Find More Posts by Mac8
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2004, 09:27 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Well there are some good tips out in the threads on mods, in a nutshell here is what I did, or would do knowing what I know know!

Moved elevator servo to behind the last former/bulkhead. I rudder would be a nice addition - just keep the weight down. I used one aileron servo poking out of the top of the wing. I would use two, one for each for flaperons. I would just hang them out of the bottom of the wing, by the fuse.

This will leave plenty of room for the batteries and RX. I use a mega 5 turn on 8 cells. If you want more speed use a 4 turn with 3 LiPoly cells. It goes plenty fast with the 5 turn and 6x5.5 prop!

I would glass the fuse for durability. I use Nylon bolts (small ones) for a bolt on wing. I used strapping tape spars and covered the wing with Nelson/Solite film. It bends pretty good - so covering is a must.

I also modded the rear of the fuse, leaving it open (about a 1/4 inch) and have the elevator push-rod going right out of the back.

It flies great! One of my all time favorite plane. Just can't beat it for $30!

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2004, 12:02 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined May 2001
1,794 Posts
I built mine mostly stock except for mounting the aileron servo in the underside of the wing. The only other mod I'd bother with is to use shorter torque rods, the ones supplied are to long and get in the way of the elevator servo if not mounted flat. Oh and ditch the supplied push rods, they are way to heavy.

Cheers
Flint is offline Find More Posts by Flint
Old Aug 07, 2004, 07:55 PM
Joined Dec 2003
1,196 Posts
Guys,

Thanks for advice. I started working on the 400 a little today. This is actually the first time I opened the box. I was really impressed with all the parts you get for $30. Nice horns, heavy duty pushrods, and servo connectors. Did you guys reinforce the wing with spar, carbon Fiber or anything? Also, is there a better covering to use on foam?

My plan is to run a Himax 2815/2000, which is similar to a Mega 16/15/4, Apogee 1570 or similar, CC25, and 6x5 or 5x5 prop.

I'm surprised this model isn't more popular. I paid $32 shipped from Radical RC.

Mac8
Old Aug 07, 2004, 08:04 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Quote:
Did you guys reinforce the wing with spar, carbon Fiber or anything?
Yep strapping tape. I did bottom, but should have done top and bottom.

Quote:
I'm surprised this model isn't more popular.
Wait till you fly it. Simply awesome. No bad habits, fast and true. One of my best flying airplanes of all time.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2004, 08:13 PM
Joined Dec 2003
1,196 Posts
Mike,

Do you have any pics of yours online?
Old Aug 09, 2004, 02:49 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
There are lots of threads on the Simple here, keep looking. I posted pictures of mine a while back; it combined many of the best-practices that I gleaned from other threads:

- Carbon spar in the wing, full span.
- Aileron servos buried in the wing, one per aileron.
- lite-ply wing saddle reinforcements.
- Rubber-band wing hold-down, zero hatch construction

I also turned the front hatch into an air scoop, and cut a vent hole behind the last former.

Definitely a really great plane.

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old Aug 09, 2004, 03:06 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Here are some old pics of mine:

It now has a nice spinner and mega 5 turn in it!
RCG Plus Member