HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2004, 06:36 PM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
Thinking of selling my Apache as an ARF

My Apache is ready for covering now, but I dont think I will get to fly her much, and small models are looking to be the only planes I will be able to keep. I am just testing the waters here, this is not a for-sale thread. How much would an ARF Apache be worth? I could sell it as an ARC or covered if covering will add significant value. I have done a really nice job on it and given it a few mods, like a battery hatch above the wing and rear-mounted servos, and have spent a great deal of time building it. It would include the power system, a Jeti 30/3 and 70/3 speed controller and 2 HS 81 servos installed.

Do you think I could sell it with the price in line with other ARFS of similar size?

Thanks,
Jonathan
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2004, 06:45 AM
Pinehurst, NC
Joined Aug 1999
779 Posts
Jonathan:

Don't get your hopes up... My experience has been that people are unwilling to spend much for a kit that has been built by someone else, yet they will fork over $$ for an ARF. I sold my Apache to a clubmate for the (new) price of the installed servos, but there was some minor damage to the wing, and it is still flying. In most cases, you are lucky to get a little more than the kit price of the airframe when selling a used plane.

Bottom line is there is little money to be made in building, and you will be better off selling the power system on the E-Zone separately unless you can find a local buyer in "Bush Country."

Good luck,

Gary
GaryK is offline Find More Posts by GaryK
Old Jul 31, 2004, 07:28 AM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I've sold a few glow planes recently. Used or even unflown planes do not go for much money anymore. Even if you sell for the cost of an ARF you probably won't get all the money you put into building. I've found that in general if you are selling it you will at most get 30% of it's cost new or something similar. Even selling an ARF that is slightly used and in excellent condition will not net you anywhere near what you paid for it. 3-4 years ago when I quit the hobby for a bit and ARF's hadn't become quite so prolific selling used or built planes was much easier and you could get more money for them.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Jul 31, 2004, 08:49 AM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
Thanks guys, i really appreciate it.
Jonathan
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid